Range Extender halves my Wi-Fi speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-12-01 21:23:26
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

So I had recently installed a 5GHz Router that gives aprox 90 megabit per second when connected to a laptop (as long as it is in the same room). My computer (with a 5ghz wireless adapter, TL-WDN3800) is pretty far from the router, and by directly connecting it to the 5ghz Wi-Fi source I usually get around 50-55 Mb/s (tho sometimes it gets slower).

So I decided to use a 5GHz Range Extender to improve the speed, RE200. Of course, as some of you might have guessed, with the Range Extender my speed is usually lower and never higher than the source speed (aprox 35 Mb/s). How do I exactly solve this?

My Router is set to the Channel 6 for the 2.5 Ghz signal, while the 5Ghz one is automatically set to Channel 36, the same as the Range Extender. In my Router config option I have set the Channel Width at 20 Mhz, as I had heard it helps with the speed, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
Options
5 Reply
Re:Range Extender halves my Wi-Fi speed
2017-12-04 17:01:13
try high-speed mode:
router use 2.4G only and RE use 5G only(disable other band in router and RE). RE use half-duplex mode so the speed will be halved.
Options
2017-12-07 01:58:18

uutommi wrote

try high-speed mode:
router use 2.4G only and RE use 5G only(disable other band in router and RE). RE use half-duplex mode so the speed will be halved.

How do I activate high speed mode exactly?
Options
2017-12-09 21:45:58
UP

OK I've tried High Speed mode but it just makes things worse (I mean, it essentially prevents your device to access the 5Ghz source, and it just gives you a full speed 2.4Ghz... Which is useless), and this whole thing is driving me crazy. I've spent several bucks for this Range Extender and the fact that I get almost double the speed WITHOUT it it's infuriating. No one knows a solution for this?
Options
Channel width
2018-01-29 22:17:00
You can set a 40 Mhz channel to have 300 Mbps.
Options
2018-02-01 04:58:46
I just installed a Range Extender (RE450). I have just 30Mbps directly from my router, but it sometimes goes to low single digits with the extender. I don't know what all the stuff is about setting channels. I don't see anything like that in the range extender information and don't know about doing it on the router. I thought this would be pretty straightforward, but I guess it isn't. Can anyone help with specific and simple information. Thanks.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6281

Replies: 5

Related Articles