Problems cloning av500 extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-12-22 03:53:26
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have a TP-LINK AV500 mains signal extender, which has been working fine for a while.

We recently switched to a new ISP - TalkTalk, from BT - and for some reason I couldn't get the extender to clone using the automatic process. (One other odd thing is that when I hard-reset the extender, it shows up on the wireless list with the name of our old BT router, which it was indeed cloned as - but I don't see how it can retain those details following a hard reset?!).

Anyway, having failed to clone it automatically, I went into the TP-LINK settings page and did it manually - changing the network name and password to that they're both in line with that of our new router.

That worked for a bit, but if you're sitting halfway in between the two sources, it seems to confuse the device you're using. The signal strength shows up as good, but pages just won't load. You have to approach one of the two sources more closely for it to resolve itself. Does this make technical sense? I mean, is there a reason why having done a manual rather than automatic clone will have made it more difficult for devices to work out which one they should be picking up the signal from?

I've now just given the extender a different name, so that you just login to whichever is closest, and this seems to work fine. But can anyone suggest how to make the cloning work properly?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 751

Replies: 0

Related Articles