AC5400: Device losing connection and fails to re-authenticate, occasional random speed loss

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AC5400: Device losing connection and fails to re-authenticate, occasional random speed loss

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-01-28 00:35:33
Model : Archer AC5400

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : 1.2.2 Build 20170912 rel.56240(4555)

ISP : Ziggo (though not relevant for this issue)

I have an Archer AC5400 for about a month, and I get multiple stability and performance issues:

The most serious one is that my wife's Galaxy S6 loses connection, and then it won't re-connect, saying "Authentication error occurred". Even if I try to forget the network and enter the password again it still won't connect, I have to reboot the phone completely, then it will connect... for a while. This seems to occur when moving around the house, probable as the router tries to hand-over the phone from one band to another. As a temporary solution I had to create a 2.4GHz guest network just for this phone - but this is far from ideal (and not with such an expensive router).

The other issue is with my own Galaxy Note 4. At random moments, the connection speed drops to around 10Mbps, even when sitting next to the router. I have to disable and re-enable the WiFi on the phone to get back to my normal 200mbps speed.

Also, at larger distances the router will not properly handover the devices to the band/antenna that would offer the greater speed. E.g. if I'm on the second floor of the house I have again to disable/enable the WiFi to force it to connect properly, otherwise the speed is absimal.

To be sure, I don't have any of these problems with my previous Asus router, they occur only with the TP-Link.2017-09-12

The AC5400 WiFi is configured with "Smart Connect", all settings to auto, and "Maximum transmit power". Plus a 2.4GHz guest network. I use it as an access point - I tried both the "Access Point Mode" and "Router Mode", it doesn't make a difference. I have the latest firmware installed (2017-09-12).

Anyone has had similar problems, and have any idea how to possibly solve them?
Options
4 Reply
Re:AC5400: Device losing connection and fails to re-authenticate, occasional random speed loss
2018-02-01 08:55:46
Having the same issue right now but I'm not in front of the device. The device reset itself and lost all settings. Had a friend go to my parents house and did a firmware update and initial setup since he is not tech savvy.
Now the connection drops every few minutes. They are only using an ipad and iphone to connect. I know the ISP is very solid and never had an issue with their service. I had a much cheaper router before and worked like a charm and this thing cost me a lot of money and it is a piece of junk.
Still trying to see what can be done to fix it
Options
Re:AC5400: Device losing connection and fails to re-authenticate, occasional random speed loss
2019-11-12 03:55:07

@sebastian_paul 

TPLINK SUPPORT THIS IS CLEARLY AN ISSUE PLEASE FIX IMMEDIATELY

Options
2020-01-15 19:30:32

@sebastian_paul I am currently experiencing the same issue have you manage to find another solution? 

Options
2020-01-16 06:27:23

@DalmationDots 

Hello, what is the model number of the router? Is it Archer C5400 or Archer C5400X?

What is the bandwidth you paid for your ISP? And what is the speed you can get from the Archer AC5400 by wired cable or wireless?

Have you ever tried to change the wireless settings, like wireless channel or channel width to improve the performance? 

And have you ever enabled QoS or so? 

Please tell me the current firmware version as well.

Thanks a lot. Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1911

Replies: 4