4G internet with TL-MR6400 router is very flaky, often stops working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-03-05 19:35:54
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I've set up 4G internet with the TL-MR6400 router, and it's very flaky, it intermittently stops working every couple of minutes. The intervals when it happens seems to be random, usually it works for 1-5 minutes, and then stops working for a minute or two.
When it doesn't work, it's not like its speed decreases, but it stops working completely, and I get either a timeout, or a "DNS probe failed, no internet" error if I try to open something in the browser.

Even when it doesn't work, I can still access the router management site, and the status page always says that the 3G/4G Connection Status is Connected, and the Signal Strength is always either 75% or 100%.

In those minutes when it works, the speed and the throughput is always very good, for example I've just measured 16ms ping, 40Mbps download and 10Mbps upload. And then when it stops for a minute, it doesn't work at all.

I tried both with the Wi-Fi, or with the Wi-Fi disabled and connecting with an UTP cable.

I've checked the System Log a number of times, but I can only see DHCP messages, and sometimes this message: "IPv6; INFO; prefix is NULL, can't start radvd and npd6"

I've installed the latest firmware. (I've seen before a similar issue with another TP-Link router caused by Killer Wi-Fi devices, but I see in the firmware change log that it was fixed some time ago, plus disabling the Wi-Fi doesn't seem to help.)

I suspect this has to do something with the router, because if I take the SIM out and put it in a phone and use the internet from the phone, or use the phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot, then it works properly.

Do you have any suggestions what should I try or how I could troubleshoot?
Options
3 Reply
Re:4G internet with TL-MR6400 router is very flaky, often stops working
2018-03-08 13:43:51
If you have any Killer Wi-Fi devices, you need to disconnect them from Wi-Fi. Try with only one device connected to the tplink. Basically it points to the router. Contact tplink support to fix it.
Options
2018-10-10 17:27:16
Hello,
Has problem been resolved ? and if so it would be nice to post the solution here !
Thanks everyone
Marc
Options
2020-05-29 08:42:47

@Pupintor Same Issue here. the router was working for about 6 months then one day it started doing the same things as you've described. strange because I put a different SIM card from another service provider in the router to test it and it seemed to work ok. 

the Smarty (Three) SIM I use with unlimited data has the issue in the router but not in a mobile phone 

I used my O2 SIM from my mobile in the router and it worked okay 

Did you find out a fix for the issue?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3401

Replies: 3