Performance of TL-PA9020P Kit over aluminum wiring (CO/ALR)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-05-23 04:30:37
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I am contemplating purchasing this unit, but I have aluminum wiring throughout my home. Is anyone able to comment on the performance throughput of the TL-PA9020P over aluminum wiring? Is there a loss of throughput when compared to copper? Random web searches indicate there "might" be extra line noise which results in slower speeds, but no confirmation. Who better than TP-Link to address this concern I suppose...
Options
2 Reply
Re:Performance of TL-PA9020P Kit over aluminum wiring (CO/ALR)
2018-05-23 15:12:50
Aluminum oxide is easily oxidized to produce alumina, which affects conductivity.The resistance of aluminum wire is high, heating is serious, these can affect the performance of PLC.Therefore, it must reduce the performance in this environment.
Options
Re:Performance of TL-PA9020P Kit over aluminum wiring (CO/ALR)
2018-05-24 20:26:01

flying snow wrote

Aluminum oxide is easily oxidized to produce alumina, which affects conductivity.The resistance of aluminum wire is high, heating is serious, these can affect the performance of PLC.Therefore, it must reduce the performance in this environment.
Do you have any benchmarks to back this up? Google is full of these kind of comments, but nobody can confirm performance degradation through any metrics. Aluminum wiring is still used today in commercial buildings, and I might suggest that power requirements in commercial buildings exceeds that of residential, as a general rule of thumb. Are we talking a performance decrease of 1 MB/sec or 100MB/sec?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 528

Replies: 2

Related Articles