Archer C50 V3 - Parental Control vs Access Control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-05-24 05:09:17
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Model: Archer C50Firmware version: 0.9.1 0.5 v0079.0 Build 170822 Rel.64885n(4555) Hardware version: Archer C50 v3 00000001Can someone explain to me what the difference is between Parental Control and Access Control? When/what do you use one for, and when/what the other?I want to totally block access to the internet (i.e. any sites) from two distinct MAC addresses (my child's mob. phone and laptop) on certain days and times. Should I do this using Parental Control or Access Control?How do I achieve that all internet access is blocked, not just of some, specific sites or keywords?Can internet access by WhatsApp, Snapchat, Instgram or from inside game apps be blocked too, or only access to URLs through internet browsers?Is it possible to define two different rules/schedules for the two devices?Many thanks
Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer C50 V3 - Parental Control vs Access Control
2018-05-24 16:18:05
From some aspect, both of them can help us limit the surfing activities. Parental control is more simple and direct while Access control can help us meet more specific needs. However, both of them can only limit the URL not app. If you want to totablly block internet, parental control can't make it. You may try access control and you may refer to the instruction to configure it. https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1724.html
Options
2018-05-24 17:54:55

flying snow wrote

From some aspect, both of them can help us limit the surfing activities. Parental control is more simple and direct while Access control can help us meet more specific needs. However, both of them can only limit the URL not app. If you want to totablly block internet, parental control can't make it. You may try access control and you may refer to the instruction to configure it. https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1724.html
Thanks for your reply. The FAQ/example describes how to block a specific site (example www.microsoft.com) What should I specify as "Target" if I want to block all internet sites?
Options
2018-05-26 15:53:20
HiI'm new to TP Link routers and I'm shocked that the router isn't able to block internet access full stop to phones or lap tops as required. My old BT hubs, even the very basic ones would allow this. Is this really the case? On the BT hubs, I just set a time and then the wails of oh no my wifi has gone off come from upstairs. Job done. Is this not the way the TP Link parental control works please? Think I may have made a mistake with the router if that'a the case.
Options
2020-10-02 04:21:00

@seahobbit did you ever find the solution to this? I'm having the same problem. 

Options
2021-09-29 09:29:36

@seahobbit Did you manage to do this. I am also facing the same issue (how to block all sites !!).

Options
2021-09-29 13:42:20 - last edited 2021-09-29 14:01:28

@Precisely 

Here's how I did that with Access Control. Keep in mind that in newer devices Access Control has been implemented differently - there's a White and Black lists.

Another thing to consider when restricting devices by it's MAC address is whether its MAC address is configured as Private (Random) or not. See more details here.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1323

Replies: 6