block bypass DNS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

block bypass DNS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
block bypass DNS
block bypass DNS
2018-07-25 10:27:56
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I need to be able to block Port 53 so that I can force every device on my network to use the DNS settings that I have set onto the router. I have looked into the settings on Access control however I set it, I cannot get the settings to take affect. can u advice on this issue?

Model: TD-W8970 V3
Options
4 Reply
Re:block bypass DNS
2019-05-18 02:50:36
Did you find a solution to your problem? I need to do the same. though i have the Archer C5400...hoping a solution on your device might help me also.
Options
Re:Re:block bypass DNS
2019-05-20 06:59:59

Hi,

Do you want to make DNS server in the LAN to take effect?

If so, you do not have to block port 53, instead, please go to advanced-DHCP-DHCP settings to change the DNS server which is what you want.

May it help.

Good day. 

ssp67 wrote

Did you find a solution to your problem? I need to do the same. though i have the Archer C5400...hoping a solution on your device might help me also.

Options
Re:Re:Re:block bypass DNS
2019-05-22 01:49:00

I have setup on Network>DHCP Server>DNS Server1 & DNS Server2 my preferred DNS servers(openDNS). And yes with this all my devices on LAN use this DNS by default. However, my son has a laptop which he is an admin and so can change the DNS. I sure on his cell phone he can also change is DNS. In order to prevent this, i understand i have to block port 53? This is based on what i have read in several forums. Anyways on my archer c5400 v2.0(1.2.2 Build 20170912 rel.56240(5553)) i cannot find a way to add a firewall rule for this specific port. I just don't this as an option on any screen i have seen...unless i am missing something. Any ideas on how to achieve this on C5400?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:block bypass DNS
2019-05-23 06:49:30

Hi,

We cannot block port 53 otherwise there will be no internet access anymore. 

All the DNS packets will access through WAN IP and the port 53, if we block it, all the DNS request will be blocked, no more internet. 

And for the client device's server, it is related on the device itself, not much we can do on the main router. 

May it help. Good day. 

ssp67 wrote

I have setup on Network>DHCP Server>DNS Server1 & DNS Server2 my preferred DNS servers(openDNS). And yes with this all my devices on LAN use this DNS by default. However, my son has a laptop which he is an admin and so can change the DNS. I sure on his cell phone he can also change is DNS. In order to prevent this, i understand i have to block port 53? This is based on what i have read in several forums. Anyways on my archer c5400 v2.0(1.2.2 Build 20170912 rel.56240(5553)) i cannot find a way to add a firewall rule for this specific port. I just don't this as an option on any screen i have seen...unless i am missing something. Any ideas on how to achieve this on C5400?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1299

Replies: 4

Related Articles