Poor wifi conection AV600

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-07-28 01:28:05
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have an AV600 system with two AV600 extenders in Northern Ireland UK
My router is on the floor in the hotpress/linnen cupboard on the first floor. I put it up there because I hope it gives better reception to the bedrooms upstairs.
The house is concrete block and the upstairs floor is hollow concrete planks.
I installed the AV600s about a year ago and have the extenders in the basement and on the ground floor where there was a weak spot in an outer room.
It all worked fine with my BT SmartHub router. I got wifi reception at my desk, with no drop outs.
I recently changed ISP from BT to Plusnet, and got a new router from PlusNet.
Now, I can't get reliable wifi in the office, which is directly underneath the router i.e.the router is 10 feet directly vertically above my office desk. I get a reception which periodically drops out. I am using a MacBook Pro 2011 model. The MacBook shows the Plusnet network, and sometimes has the network ticked as being connected, but the icon shows it as still searching for a network to connect to and it says there is no network connection.
So I moved the AV600 from the basement to just behind my desk, five feet from the Macbook, and still get the same intermittent problem.
If I connect the MacBook by cable to that AV600 I get solid and stable connection to the Plusnet router.
The LED light shows steady, and the other lights behave as they are supposed to.
My son's PS4 in the next room gets continued and stable wifi connection to the AV600 I've plugged in to the wall behind my desk.

When the wifi to the MacBook drops out I have tried turning off the wifi on the MacBook, getting the MacBook to forget the Plusnet network, requiring it to ask to join networks, setting it to join the Plusnet network automatically. Sometimes I get a message saying I need to put in a password for the Plusnet network. Sometimes it shows the icon searching for a network, but the Plusnet network has a tick against it indicating that it is connected and a box underneath asking whether I would like to disconnect from the Plusnet network.

Clearly the problem has been caused by changing from the BT SmartHub to the Plusnet Sagemcom CS50001. But it doesn't explain why I get ethernet connection to the router through the AV600 but not wifi from 5 feet, when other devices get wifi from the line extender (or maybe they are getting it direct from the router)

If I can't fix the wifi, what other TP Link adapters could I plug in to the powerpoint in front of the desk and run the MacBook constantly through ethernet (the plug it's currently connected to is over the other side of the room and people walk past it all the time and would trip over the ethernet cable. Are single AV600 still on sale, or is there a newer model. I saw one post where a user said that an AV1000 was not compatible with his existing AV600 network of extenders.

Many thanks !!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1177

Replies: 0