AV500 powerlines not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-08-31 05:03:54
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi. I'm new on here, so please bear with me.

I have a pair of rather old AV500 powerline adaptors which used to work but no longer do so. I have gone through the stated procedure of pairing the two units, and then pressing the WPS button on the (Virgin Media Superhub 3) router and on the remote powerline unit. I have done this several times without success.

On some occasions, I attempt to connect to the unit using my laptop and am asked to type in my password. The only password I am aware of is the password for my VM router, and this is never accepted. On other occasions, the powerline unit doesn't even appear in the list on my laptop.

After spending several days trying to get around this problem, I have given up(!) and ordered a new TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT. Hopefully, I shall have no problems in getting this to work.

Anyway, even so, I'd be interested if anyone can suggest what my problem might be, assuming I am wrong and that the old unit is NOT irretrievably knackered!

I should add that I have already searched for a solution here but, admitting that I am as far from being an expert as is possible, I don't understand most of what is said!
Options
7 Reply
Re:AV500 powerlines not working
2018-09-01 21:13:36
Sadly, no advice received as yet, but I live in hope!

I have now received a pair of AV600 units. These installed and paired without any problems, and I proceeded to do the WPS setting up with router and extender. Having done this, I assumed that the password for logging in to the extender would be the same as the password for the router, but no. I found that I could log in with the password provided with the extender, however, and the extender now works perfectly. In fact it has a noticeably longer range than the router, probably because it is 2.4GHz rather than 5GHz.

Perhaps I could now try to include the extender of the old (AV500) pair. I have since noticed that there is a reset button within a small hole on the underside. Hopefully, that may be the answer to getting it to work.

Will the AV500 extender work with the AV600?
Options
2018-09-03 16:36:39
From the perspective of powerline compatibility, yes it will. Be sure to set it up properly before you join it into your existing network, such that it uses an exclusive IP address within the range of your home network. Then deploy it into your network, and proceed to set the WLAN up.
Options
2018-09-04 00:22:50
Thanks, Peter.

I have just done that; got it working alongside the new ones.

I have now discovered why the old ones (AV500) were not working. I had gone through all the procedures including the re-setting of the extender by using a pin, but failed to get them to work. Having searched the internet extensively, it appears that my mistake was to not hold the re-set button for long enough; I found a site that explained that it is necessary to hold the re-set button for about 10 seconds (other sites said one second!), and that seems to have solved the problem.

I was very pleasantly surprised to be able to get the old unit to work as it is several years old and, although I remember it working properly years ago, I thought it must by now be past its sell-by date. The fact that it still works would suggest that the TP-LINK's products are of good quality.
Options
Help
2018-09-06 03:38:55

JohnBR wrote

Thanks, Peter.

I have just done that; got it working alongside the new ones.

I have now discovered why the old ones (AV500) were not working. I had gone through all the procedures including the re-setting of the extender by using a pin, but failed to get them to work. Having searched the internet extensively, it appears that my mistake was to not hold the re-set button for long enough; I found a site that explained that it is necessary to hold the re-set button for about 10 seconds (other sites said one second!), and that seems to have solved the problem.

I was very pleasantly surprised to be able to get the old unit to work as it is several years old and, although I remember it working properly years ago, I thought it must by now be past its sell-by date. The fact that it still works would suggest that the TP-LINK's products are of good quality.

I am having the exact problem. Powerlinks were working fine until this morning when I changed routers and modem, and now I only get 6mbs download speed. Technical support was no help. I updated firmware, reset, and even tried holding reset button for 10 seconds. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
Options
2021-03-07 10:14:01

@JohnBR I also had an issue where I had receive a new router (Virgin Media Hub 3), and the WPS pairing function did not work for my AV500 TP Link powerline adapters.

After having tried all the obvious suggestions (move the router near to the AV500 adapter, resetting the adapter and trying again, etc.), I _turned off_ the base AV500 unit (the one that uses an ethernet cable in to the router) and then tried the WPS pairing again. Now it worked without problem. Magic. I could then turn on the base AV500 unit again, and my extended network was back again on the new wifi.

Options
2021-03-08 10:59:42 - last edited 2021-03-12 09:17:10

Hi, for a while my powerline connector worked fine with windows 10, but now it will not provide internet. When I plug it in it says "identifying, no internet". This is a big problem because my room is in the attic my ping has gone from 40 in game to 120 and my download has gone from 20mb to 8. I cannot play games like this. To make it worse my router's transmitter has broken. Any help? I've tried resetting them. This happened a few weeks ago, it has been "bearable" until my routers transmitter broke.

https://nox.tips/
Options
2021-12-10 20:30:18 - last edited 2021-12-10 20:35:42

@JohnBR 

I am on iMac 10.13.6 High Sierra OS

I did have to press reset for 10 seconds with paper clip on one extender.

Do each extender one at a time

Press Pair button on base AV500 unit (the one that uses an ethernet cable in to the router), then Pair button on unit (bottom of extender). Wait a while to pair.

Open tpPLC Utility

Username, Password:
Admin
Admin

Check box:
Enable Wireless Powerline Extender Radio
Enable SSID Broadcast

SSID: Your network name
WEP Password:  Your network password

Options

Information

Helpful: 1