New Member - Recommendations for Powerline with Wi-Fi Extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-09-05 12:04:36
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello Forum!

I am a new user of the TP-Link Powerline products. I am seeking some advice or comments with respect to a recommended set-up for a wi-fi and hard-plug setup for our home.

We have an older home, 3700 square feet; 1850 on each floor. Due to structure, it is not feasible to route ethernet cables to our various rooms. Our goal is to be able to set up 'hard-plug' access in various rooms, with a wi-fi extender to reach other areas and the outside. I anticipate needing 4 units in all - the initial adaptor (at router source), 2 additional adapters for other rooms (hard-plug) and the wi-fi extender (to float where needed).

We recently purchased a TL-WPA8730 Kit, which should provide AV1200 powerline speeds with AC1750 dual band wi-fi. Of course, I understand that these are the "maximums" stipulated by the product and are not likely to be our actually achieved speeds.

We had purchased the TL-WPA8730 Kit as it appears to be the highest rated wi-fi extender that we can purchase with an adapter. I stand to be corrected on this.

If we keep the TL-WPA8730 Kit my first question is whether there is any value to extending the network through an AV2000 Starter Kit (TL-PA0920 Kit) or whether it would better be served by using an AV1200 Passthrough Starter Kit (TL-PA8030P). The AV2000 have 2 ports, while the AV1200 have 3 ports. There also might be some issues in cost.

The cost aside, I am wondering whether it makes any sense to purchase the AV2000 if we started with the AV1200 Adapter. I understand that both of these are Home Plug AV2 compliant. Will the use of the 1200's within the network reduce the 2000's to the same speeds (making the extra speed of the 2000's redundant)? Or, will they still work independently within the network (so the 2000's would still have the capability for greater speeds?

Most of the adapters that I have seen come in pairs for purchase. Thus the use of the Kits.

Any comments would be most appreciated.

Thanks to all for your patience with a newcomer!

Ashibaya
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 302

Replies: 0