SSID of 743 in client mode visible and appears unsecured?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

SSID of 743 in client mode visible and appears unsecured?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
38 Reply
Re:SSID of 743 in client mode visible and appears unsecured?
2012-12-04 10:28:11

madman_rs wrote

I just have the same problem... When you configure the client mode, and enable it, another wifi network appears, as it is configured as bridge mode... At the client mode, no one wifi network could be up by this router, as it is a CLIENT device... This other ssid that comes up has the default ssid name from Tplink and has the same channel as the network you are joined (like bridge mode)... My device is a TL-WR743ND v1.2 with the latest firmware from tplink... Please TpLink folks, take a look at this bug...

I tried setting up the whole thing all over again (via resetting with a toothpick), the issue persists and I cannot get the SSID broadcast off under client mode nor can I change the name to something more threatening such that no one will dare tapping in (like "Virushome" or "Hackspot"). I also tried setting up the thing in Wisp Client mode (per Lambo's advice) but could not get it to work that way. So, back to Client mode I went (the last item on the setup menu). Maybe when I feel adventurous, I'll give DD-WRT a try and see what client mode under that firmware is like. Meanwhile, I'll have to live with the problem....
Options
2012-12-04 13:17:14
that's weird, for the SSID just disappeared from my computers when i set it to client mode.
Options
2012-12-04 14:30:54

sandy wrote

that's weird, for the SSID just disappeared from my computers when i set it to client mode.

Is yours a V1 (the rectangular one) or the V2 (flying sauce shaped)? Mine is a V1. Do you have a selection for SSID broadcast in your menus?
Options
2012-12-04 17:53:45
In client mode, you may delete your existing wireless network profile, and then it will disappear.
Options
2012-12-05 10:54:26

Vivian wrote

In client mode, you may delete your existing wireless network profile, and then it will disappear.

Would you have a screen capture or can you point me to the right place to do so? I don't seem to see such a setting available.

Many thanks.
Options
2012-12-05 14:25:30
mine is v2, FW is 120712.
maybe you try as Vivian suggested, to remove the profile on your computer
Options
2012-12-06 10:19:00

sandy wrote

mine is v2, FW is 120712.
maybe you try as Vivian suggested, to remove the profile on your computer

Thanks. I would like to, but can't find such setting in any one of the menus in the 743's web UI. Can you please point me to it?
Options
2012-12-06 10:42:59
Options
2012-12-06 17:54:07

sandy wrote

Thanks, Sandy. From what I understand from the FAQ, this process would just mean that I will no longer see the network on this particular computer, right? It actually does nothing for preventing the network to be seen by anyone scanning for wifi networks (which is what I am after)?
Options
2012-12-06 18:36:09
No, it doesn't mean that.
First, when the wireless network is connected for the first time, the computer will automatically save the SSID and security setting as a profile. So no matter the wireless network is existing or not, the profile still remains on your computer, until you remove it.
Second, after you remove the profile, if the wireless network is existing, you will still see it in the wireless networks list on your computer, but not connected. If the wireless network is not existing, the SSID just disappear from the computer.
Third, profile is saved on your computer, while the wireless network is not existing. you can see the SSID on your computer, but the icon should be grey, and you can not connect to it.
Options