Archer C5400 2.4 GHz network not working after some time

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-19 13:14:00 - last edited 2021-09-07 02:55:40

I bought a new archer c5400 some month sago and it worked fine for at least one month, than the 2.4GHz network stopped working.

It was showing up but no device was able to connect to it so after some useless tweaking in the modem settings I decided to reset it.

Doing this fixed the problem but now after another month or so it stopped working again. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C5400 2.4 GHz network not working after some time -Solution
2021-09-07 02:55:34 - last edited 2021-09-07 02:55:40

@Sbailey 

From your description, it seems that you have already done some basic troubleshooting with the support agents, and they have admitted it could be a hardware issue and it needs to be replaced.

However, if you have purchased it years ago, it may no longer be covered by the warranty as per the policy, please check the local warranty policy for details:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/replacement-warranty/

For others who may encounter the same 2.4G stops working issue on the Archer C5400, please try the following:

1. Modify the 2.4G wireless settings, such as wireless channel, channel width, and security, you can try different combinations. Try to change the 2.4G wireless security to WPA2-PSK TKIP, save and reboot the router to confirm.

2. Schedule the 2.4G wireless, set an off time when there is no need for the connection.

3. Reset the router to factory defaults, reconfigure it from scratch, then monitor the stability.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer C5400 2.4 GHz network not working after some time
2019-01-20 16:35:06
Many have had same issue, and some like myself, the tri bands stopped working altogether, both 2.4, 5.1 & 5.2 I did a RMA on my original purchase and the replacement for the same exact problem. The 3rd device works perfectly. My suggestion is to either return it or call support and get a replacement
Options
2021-01-22 00:44:20

@morgancasale My TP-Link Archer C5400 v.2.0 just got hit with this too. And it got really bad a few days ago. Today is January 21, 2021. 2.4Ghz network just dropped all my 2.Ghz band devices. My firmware version is 1.2.5 Build 20190411 rel.52981(5553)

This wireless router is only a year and a half old. I hope TP-Link release some updated firmware to resolve this network dropping issue. Its a big pain for those of us who have heavy smart homes. I had Comcast Xfinity come out, replace connectors and run line tests, this is clearly a wireless router problem. 

During the pandemic, its essential that our wireless routers work properly.

Options
2021-02-04 19:16:42

@fedcaptain I am now having the same problem, 2.4 radio only stops working.  It seems like in the admin the settings like authentication type and SSID are all missing.  A reboot fixes it, but now it is happening every couple of days.  I've had this router for a couple of years without problems, so return for warranty repair isn't an option.  

Maybe it is just my experience, but I don't see solutions to any problems, just a lot of people with the same problem chiming in.  I am going to replace this router with something newer, I will be evaluating what is out there today, but given the lack of support, or even definitive answers that it is indeed a hardware problem, I probably will exclude TP-Link from my list of possibilities.

Mark

Options
2021-02-23 19:43:13

@morgancasale 

It's Feb 23, 2021 and I wanted to add on to the fact that I'm having the 2.4GHz radio issue too.  Sometimes it will resolve itself with time and sometimes the unit has to be repowered (usually the latter).  This seems to happen almost daily now.  Several months back the unit didn't seem to be having the problem even though it was running the same software revision.  I'm guessing it's the change in the connected 2.4GHZ devices that's causing the problems - even though it shouldn't be.  

I just experienced the problem about 15 minutes ago.  To debug, I logged in to the router and see from the web interface that the radio is still up and enabled.  So, that's definitely not the issue.  (Funny thing though:  while being logged into the web interface, the unit seems to have resolved its problem (at least temporarily) - I am able to connect via my cell phone to the 2.4GHz wifi and run a speed test with normal results now.)  tp-link just needs to admit that they have a software bug and attempt to fix it.  It's a very annoying and a service-affecting issue.  

As a software engineer myself (for more than 25 years) that works in the telecom industry, I understand that these products can be complex and that every complaint can't make its way to engineering to have the complaint addressed.  But usually, when the issue is a service-affecting issue, it makes its way to engineering fairly quickly.  I hope tp-link will do the right thing at some point here soon and look into the issue. 

Here's my software and hardware version:

sw: 1.0.4 Build 20170731 Rel. 74060(US)

hw: ArcherC5400 v1.0

Options
2021-09-04 16:36:43

@kearnst 

I truly believe TPlink cannot fix this. They clearly know about it as it's been a problem for years. They give you the run around to look like they are trying to help you but will not admit to the problem because it will cost them to replace the defective items. I was promised a replacement unit then told they couldn't replace because it was too old. Case#TKID210829403

Options
Re:Archer C5400 2.4 GHz network not working after some time -Solution
2021-09-07 02:55:34 - last edited 2021-09-07 02:55:40

@Sbailey 

From your description, it seems that you have already done some basic troubleshooting with the support agents, and they have admitted it could be a hardware issue and it needs to be replaced.

However, if you have purchased it years ago, it may no longer be covered by the warranty as per the policy, please check the local warranty policy for details:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/replacement-warranty/

For others who may encounter the same 2.4G stops working issue on the Archer C5400, please try the following:

1. Modify the 2.4G wireless settings, such as wireless channel, channel width, and security, you can try different combinations. Try to change the 2.4G wireless security to WPA2-PSK TKIP, save and reboot the router to confirm.

2. Schedule the 2.4G wireless, set an off time when there is no need for the connection.

3. Reset the router to factory defaults, reconfigure it from scratch, then monitor the stability.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-11-09 07:03:39

@morgancasale any solutions for this? It's November 9th, 2021 and the issue is still here. I've tweaked every single setting, including MAC filtering, different channels, disabled users etc. My Lan cable works perfectly with the pc. 

It's sad to see that we paid high prices for these to only get a dying wireless band a year or so after purchase. All in all, I hope this issue has been resolved.

Options
2021-12-15 14:21:58

@morgancasale I had the same issue and the Archer customer support people were utterly unhelpful. A month to send a replacement (after I send in the faulty one), or I have to pay the cost up front and hope to get reimbursed later. Ridiculous. Dont buy this device. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2890

Replies: 8

Related Articles