Change wifi channel on Deco M9

Change wifi channel on Deco M9

384 Reply
Re:Re:Re:Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2020-04-12 12:37:36 - last edited 2020-05-04 01:33:18

@Kevin_Z 

Please do escalate this issue to R&D.   Seems the feature is not there yet!   My new to link deco, seems to auto pick the most crowded channel. ...while there are wide open channels available.

At this point I'm ready to go around to all my neigjbors and show them how to change theirs!

Kevin_Z wrote

Hi,

Sorry for that, while considering the your experience and feeling, we totally understand your decision. 

We will push our R&D colleagues harder and accelerate the process.

Good day. 

Options
2020-04-12 15:47:24

@Templeton 

Good luck with this !!!

They have been promising for months to impement this most basic of features. I would suggest if you are able to return yours then do so and buy an Asus Mesh system. let me tell you that it will not be a regeret !

Options
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2020-04-16 20:52:33

I invested a lot of money on three deco p9 thinking my routers were all old technology and that these were going to be great, and I am really disappointed. The channels are the worst in my building and internet is too slow and it turns off every minute. If I could return them I would, but I live in another country, I bought them in the US. The worst routers I have ever had! And besides powerline doesn`t work at all!!!!

Options
2020-04-17 15:30:22

幹你媽的

花了這麼多錢買台 M5

結果連個 5G 頻段都不能改

你他媽我玩什麼屌遊戲幹你老師

Options
Re:Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2020-04-17 16:05:28

@Xinseo Hi! And how can we access this functionality?

Options
2020-04-17 16:25:40

@Templeton 

It's not just me then. I've rebooted and the deco m9+ always pics the most used 5Ghz channel. Other channels are completely free, but it utilizes the busiest?

I see the opposite behaviour on the 2.4GHz channels, where it does choose the least used. 

Perhaps the algorithm in the code to auto choose channels is not correct.

Options
2020-04-18 07:49:49

@Hami 

Picture's worth a thousand words, right? 

Nine radios been on the same channels for over a year. Had 3 workstations to image and configure for clients from home today. Anyone wanna guess the average download speed over wifi? 🤣 More collisions than a demolition derby goin on in here. Oh well. Getting my house wired for ethernet, then putting in Ubiquiti gear. Probably give my Decos to my grandma or something.

Options
2020-04-18 09:45:22
I just purchase the M9 today and after I setup, I am not getting the Wifi speend I need. It is worst then my old router. I try to do some improvement and notice there are other WIFI using the same channel as my M9. I was surprise M9 don't have this basic setup to change the channel. My internet speed is 500mbps and I only get 150mbps when I stand next to Deco M9. Is there any other thing I can do other then the changing the channel which I can't
Options
2020-04-18 14:25:30

@CSL wait for the DECO to see the problem and change the channel automatically. In the infinite wisdom of the engineers they made that an automated feature. 

Options
2020-04-22 08:19:59

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

any update from your side yet on the progress of this feature? Just bought a set of Deco M9's and was surprised to see the basic state of the app. 

I get it, selecting channel is not for everyone, channel planning is a very complex topic requiering knowledge about inteference sources etc. It is however sometimes beneficial to at least be able to try different channels and settings.

I also really hope to see an app with more functionality such as presenting signal strength measurements, noise reports, greenfield mode, bandwidth settings, guard interval etc  to be able to do things like calculate signal to noise ratio. Reports over time for instance? These are all things that the devices know already so opening up for presenting them in the app should be a small thing not affecting current regulatory certifications (of course it needs to stay in-bounds of the regulatory requirements so increasing the output power, changing regulatory domains etc. should not be possible). 

My point is that for quite a few people it is interesting to be able to get metrics and to be able to tweak the performance of the system. It's frustrating to just get a setup without knowing how for instance channel is being selected. It's part of the fun of this kind of system to be able to experiment and tweak. Not getting metrics and the possibility to tweak some settings gives me the impression that this is quite a rudimentary implementation (which I know it is in fact not).

Overall I am happy with the performance so far but it's quite boring not to be able to "play" with the new toy. Hope you will consider opening up a bit. I will use this system but for the next purchase I will get a system with more flexibility if the app is not updated.

Best Regards

Peter 

Options

Tags

Feature Request
Channel and channel width
Related Articles