Change wifi channel on Deco M9

Change wifi channel on Deco M9

400 Reply
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2020-04-22 08:57:47

@tplink 

Is there any update on when this feature of channel selection be available? It has been months.

Thanks,

Shiraz

Options
2020-04-23 07:34:01

Wondering the same, it's been a year now.

Options
2020-04-26 11:29:03

This is disappointing.

I just purchased my Deco one month ago. WiFi was fine at the beginning but I am facing many "WiFi disconnections" throughout the day. The WiFi simply disconnects but it is visible in my Mac's WiFi list. However, it does not connect right away.

Sometimes it is 100% fine for the whole day.

Other times, it happens 4-5 times within an hour. Very frustrating.

I assume changing channel would help because I see at least 20 other WiFi networks near me and I would love to change the channel to compare.

Very disappointing and I am 100% sure that this feature is at the bottom of the TP-Link's priorities when it should be a standard with any router in 2020.

Too bad I can't return mine. I will try to sell it and buy something that allows me more flexibility.

Options
2020-04-30 01:56:45

@Kevin_Z  Still nothing on this ? After a year ? Have just set up three M5s for a friend who lives in a densely populated area - the app has chosen the MOST used channels ! In the 5G range, all channels above 50 are free, no other users in range. The app has set the M5s to ch 44 where there are three other users.... If the app can auto-select channels, surely it can't be that hard to allow manual selection ??

Regards,

Garfield66

Options
2020-04-30 11:45:43 - last edited 2020-04-30 11:48:10

@Kevinz

I was trying to change the channel on my M9 Plus network and I was shocked to see I was unable to do it in the app. I also logged in to the Web interface and I could not do anything there either.

Then I googled it and I found this thread.

TP-Link, the ability to change the channel is an important one, especially that the auto-selection of the best available channel feature that you are advertising is NOT a real feature.

My network is on Ch 7 (2.4GHz) and Ch 44 (5GHz).

Can anyone confirm different channel settings or do we all have the same?

My 5GHz network is fine on Ch44 but Ch7 is very crowded with other networks that have very high signal strength. I would rather move to Ch1 or Ch11 where the other networks are much less and weeker.

Seeing however that this thread is one year old and Kevin is keep promissing to push R&D for this feature for the past year, I am am wondering if we will ever see this feature released.

Regards,

Cornel.

Options
2020-04-30 12:47:22

@Cornel  - I have the M5, this problem go farther back.  I  don't think TPLink is going to fix this.  This is a basic function on any router.  How hard could it be in an app to user choses the channel?  I stick around thinking that TP Link would provide update to their router.  After waiting for about a year; nothing happen.  I gave up; next router upgrade will not be TP Link.

Options
2020-04-30 13:19:05

I think I am done with this.

The last 2-3 days the WiFi just disappears from the computers or mobiles and then comes back. This happens when we are at 2-3 meters away from the routers, in the same room. Unacceptable.

Then, other times (and this is a more recent problem that I know) the WiFi signal is at the maximum but there is no Internet connection. If I turn off the closest router... it starts working!

it is just frustrating.

Can someone confirm if this can be because of the channels? I live in a high density area and in an apartment. Too many WiFi networks that I can see around.

I am looking for an alternative set of routers now. 

Options
2020-04-30 15:44:45

Just installed a set of 3 deco M5's and was trying to sort the channels, and obviously failing. Very dissatisfied and disappointed, packing them back up for return. Avoid for now if you want to have any control over your wireless settings.

Best

Options
2020-04-30 15:56:28

@Bruce_Almighty  I would return mine, if I could, but its too late for me. save yourself from trouble. 

Options
2020-04-30 16:00:00

@JFSM  I think who ever wrote the logic for choosing the clear channel make mistake of doing the reverse.  May be accidently put a negative sign where it is suppose to be possitive.  If you look at the channel it choose, it alway choose the busiest channel.

Options

Tags

Feature Request
Channel and channel width
Related Articles