Change wifi channel on Deco M9

Change wifi channel on Deco M9

400 Reply
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2020-05-16 16:52:26
Will be my first and last time supporting tp link. Bad after sales service and tech support.
Options
2020-05-16 19:17:38
Already returned mine. No deco for me.
Options
2020-05-17 17:42:03

@Shiraz what did you buy and how does it work?

Options
2020-05-18 08:08:19

Seeing everybody on the same channel (7 & 44) I think that the advertised Automatic Channel Selection is just the marketing way of saying you cannot change the channel. I dont think there is an acual Automatic Channel Selection as we all seem to be on the same channels. If anyone has theirs running on different channels - let us know.

I spoke to a friend who opted to buy the Google Mesh Routers for his home and he is telling me that he cannot change channels manually either. So I'm starting to wonder if there is any Mesh WiFi on the market that would allow you to do that.

If anyone knows about one, please let us know.

Also, if TP Link would have been able to release an update to allow us to manually change the channels, they would have done it already. If they didn't, it is not because they don't give a damn about us but probably because it is impossible, either phisically - the radios cannot be re-programmed to use other channels - or legally.

Any thoughts?

Cornel.

Options
2020-05-19 12:44:34
my deco m9 system works on channel 1 + 36 before it was on 7 + 42 - something works. Orbi rbk23 is coming to me for the test. But I'm afraid that it will be less efficient. There is the possibility of changing channels. I am annoyed by the lack of updates to the functions with deco m5 - I paid more for less functions. i have deco m9 v2.
Options
2020-05-19 16:58:30

@Cornel 

I am on 10 and 40.  157 is used for the back haul.

Options
2020-05-28 12:58:49 - last edited 2020-05-28 13:07:54

Hello @Kevin_Z , 

How has TP-Link not updated this firware/software yet to allow for better control? I understand it can take time but it seems like this product was released with any real advanced oiptions and still well over a year after this was first posted R&D has made no changes. 

It's a standard rule that auto wifi channels is not a proper way to get good reliable speeds and throoughput. Everytime I help out people with WiFi issues it's because their device is picking the "best" channel. Only after looking at a wifi analyzer and tryig different channels will one hit the sweet spot. 

I've always had TP-Link products but this to me feels like a unpolished product aimed stricly at consummers that need to put out a router and plug it in and forget about it and not have the ability to get the best experience out of it. 

TP-Link has always been great but stripping out important features seems backwards and not updating after so many people clearly want said features is showing that there is no interest :(

Can TP-Link please allow for advanced features with these items? It has a lot of potential to be so much better when one can control said features. 

Thank you 

Options
2020-06-02 13:54:31 - last edited 2020-06-02 18:26:31

@GetCart3r I agree totally!  @Kevin_Z  The Auto Channel is terrible!!  You should be able to have a way to select the channel yourself. I had to get wifi analyzer to see one channel is overlapping with a neighbor (houses).  Why did it pick channel 9 (which spans 7-11), when it has the neighbor on channel 6 (spanning 4-8).   Channel 7-8 overlap and have caused it to go down multiple times!!!    This would be worse in a condo or apartment with closer neighbors!!!  I opened a trouble ticket, but sounds like from the board it will not be fixed!!! Unfortunately it is outside a return period on Amanzon (didnt catch this quick at all since something joined network recently closeby), and apparently having a warranty from manufacturer means nothing now for this problem!!

Options
2020-06-02 14:23:34

Well, due to TP-link's non support of basic features on this device I've returned it and will be going w/ something that isn't "baby's first Wifi".

Options
2020-06-03 12:03:15 - last edited 2020-06-03 12:09:47

@Kevin_Z 

Sorry to say but I'm kind of disappointed in the Deco X60 AX3000 set I've bought. I found out shortly after install that my phone and laptop kept telling me that I had full wifi signal but no internet. I noticed that the Deco X60 choose the exact same channel that my nextdoor neighbour uses. As I've experienced this problem in the past with my internet provider's router, I knew exactly how to solve it! Just set the channel manually and find the channel with the highest throughput (and therefore the least signal collision).

But this is where the disappointment kicked in! These rather expensive pieces of electronics simply do not have manual channel selection capability. Seriously! You pay almost 400$ for a set of wifi mesh units just to find out that a cheap dlink router supplied by my internet provider has more capabilities!

I've read many threads in fora both here and elsewere on the internet that mention this same problem and frustration and I eventually choose this thread to let you know I just don't understand TP-link. I've read that you forwarded these comments about manual channel selection to R&D. Really? It's been almost 18 months and even the latest firmware still does not add this rather basic function which should have been implemented right from the start!

Why does this have to be evaluated by R&D? Just implement it! It's not that hard! Just put the code in the firmware and add the options for 2.4 and 5 GHz channel selection next to "Fast roaming" and "Beamforming" toggles in the "Advanced" section. Please just give your broad userbase what they paid for! Because let's be honest. TP-link devices look great but are rather high prices devices!

Options

Tags

Feature Request
Channel and channel width
Related Articles