Change wifi channel on Deco M9

Change wifi channel on Deco M9

384 Reply
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2020-11-28 07:07:53

@TP-Link @TP-Link_Deco can we please have a response? 

Thank you,

Options
2020-12-01 16:18:34

@TP-Link_Deco any updates? 

Options
2020-12-01 16:48:02

@Sufiyan @TP-Link & @TP-Link_Deco are no longer responding as they've given up on trying to sweep this BUG under the rug. For years myself and many others would highly recommend TP-Link but this past year I've steered people away to look at other products since TP-Link is not taking these products and it's consumers seriously. It's a joke to TP-Link. Make a half finished product, sell it as a premium price and give up on poperly support users. 

Options
2020-12-04 12:43:40

@TP-Link_Deco 

Any updates on this one, I also have big troubles not being able to change the channel, will have to return the product if not possible.

Options
2020-12-06 08:00:50

Hello Antonymous @TP-Link_Deco Employee,

If I may, I would like to address each point you made about why we cannot select our own channels one by one. While I appreciate you taking the time to write such a response, it feels like I am being talked down to buy someone who can't do anything but come up with excuse after excuse and non of them are based in reality.

Firstly, what each Deco can see around it is virtually meaningless since the devices we use to connect to our network are in completely different places than our Deco routers. For example, while each Deco might see nothing on the 2.4GHz channel 3, the phone and TV in my bedroom is able to see my next door neighbor's Wi-Fi that is on channel 3. If I was a cynical man, I would say that it's because your company simply wants to be able to sell more mesh routers to cover spots like the one I just mentioned at my home.

Second, rumors of a, "seamless, unfettered, and performant experience for wireless networking" is impossible to pull off due to the router's inability to look at anything other than what it sees as explained previously. Furthermore, I'm looking at the networks around me, and my Deco has chosen channels that are the same as what my neighbors have. So, the only way to guarantee a, "seamless, unfettered, and performant experience for wireless networking" is to give people the choice to override the automagical settings that fail.

What's more, it's extremely easy for anyone to use a free stumbler app on their iPhone or Android (Apple for example builds one into their AirPort Utility app for iOS) and walk around their property to see what other networks are near by and what channels they are broadcasting on. Maybe... if the Deco app had instructions telling a user to walk around their property as it scanned, did that work I mentioned, and actually chose a channel that was actually not in use in the area? Maybe then I could let this feature slide. But that feature does not exist and there is absolutely no way you or your engineers can promise that a feature like this would work as evident by the fact that the Deco doesn't even do the automatic stuff it's supposed to already.

Last but not least, I don't care what other mesh Wi-Fi routers are capable of. If other mesh routers jumped off a bridge, would yours jump too? I would never willingly use a Google router. Your excuse here is summed up by saying, "we just copied what other have done and thought no one would care as long as we did what Google did." It requires absolutely ZERO "research in the market" to implement a feature that has long been standard with wireless communication. The people who just want to get online and don't care or notice these types of issues will just use the app and mesh network as per usual and continue to praise the setup process over traditional routers. Meanwhile, the people like us who actually care will be happy because these are our routers and we should be able to do whatever the heck we want with them. If that means taking them to an eWaste recycler and buying something better? So be it. It's that simple.

You have successfully answered no question and have successfully raised more in the process. I am not a fan of this tone. I feel like I'm being talked down to. Honestly, you would have been better off not saying anything. Because with this response, it feels like you guys don't take this request seriously at all. You are stuck in your ways and this feature will never chage. I currently have four M5 Deco mesh routers (two at my house and two at my girlfriend's) and plan to upgrade to a Wi-Fi 6 option within the next six months. Stubborn issues like this just make me more comfortable going with a different solution altogether.

Sincerely,

Rob

Options
It is ridculous. it's using my most congested channel by far. We should be able to use the channel we want to
2021-01-03 22:30:37
Options
It is ridculous. it's using my most congested channel by far. We should be able to use the channel we want to
2021-01-03 22:59:17

Try rebootiing the mesh.
To do so in the App: Click on the "Internet" symbol => Select the "Main Deco" device => click on the "3 dots" in the upper right, then, finally, select "Reboot".

Options
2021-01-04 08:05:49

@Dan_C. 

And that's what's ridiculous. I have to reboot my Deco X60's about once every two weeks because all the phones and tablets in my household suddenly start to loose internet connection while having full signal reception (a problem none of our laptops are suffering from, probably because these use a much better antenna and less integrated hardware).

But every time I have to reboot 4-8 times before both 2.4GHz (for my two oldest tablets and my domotics sensors) and 5GHz are at the right channels.

It has come to the point that my wife (who is not a tech person at all!) actually starts asking to sell the Deco's and to buy a reliable mesh system.

Options
2021-01-08 09:01:04
Let's be realistic. This device does not pick the best channel, it always picks a default channel on each band which is usually the busiest (channel 4 on 2.4GHz and channel 36 on 5GHz in my case, and probably yours). No matter what you do or how many times you reboot it, it always picks the same channels. Let's not waste your time anymore. No one is really planning to fix this. Even though this is not a cheap device, but unfortunately it is a very simple one. I decided to consider this as a wasted investment and go find a proper mesh router this time, the one that at least let's me choose channels.
Options
2021-01-08 13:02:19 - last edited 2021-01-08 13:03:28

Farrokhi wrote

Let's be realistic. This device does not pick the best channel, it always picks a default channel on each band which is usually the busiest (channel 4 on 2.4GHz and channel 36 on 5GHz in my case, and probably yours). No matter what you do or how many times you reboot it, it always picks the same channels. 

@Farrokhi 

Right now my Deco mesh, consisting of two M9 Plus and one M5, runs 5GHz on channel 44 and 2.4GHz on channel 9.

Meanwhile, out of five strongest 2.4GHz WiFi network signals I am getting from my neighbours, four are running on channel 6, interfering with each other.

Options

Tags

Feature Request
Channel and channel width
Related Articles