Change wifi channel on Deco M9

Change wifi channel on Deco M9

400 Reply
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2021-01-26 07:23:13

@Hami 

I think the only thing we can do right now is report TP-links message as Inappropriate Content (pull down options in the upper right corner of their message) noting that this is NOT a solution and TP-link fails to listen to their user base.

I will have to sell our TP-link AX3000 because I got into a really fierce argument with my wife. She has to work from home due to COVID19 and she's blaming me for the dodgy WIFI since I bought this triple mesh set. Now she has to roll out a network cable to her laptop, because about twice a day all phones and laptops report 80+% signal strength but no internet connection and at every reboot of the TP-link it will only select 5Ghz channel 42 or 48 which are both heavily used in our neighborhood. 

Options
2021-01-26 12:22:40

@IanPH 

IanPH wrote

I will have to sell our TP-link AX3000 because I got into a really fierce argument with my wife. She has to work from home due to COVID19 and she's blaming me for the dodgy WIFI since I bought this triple mesh set. Now she has to roll out a network cable to her laptop .......

Haha I've had the same thing! Multiple times my wife has asked why the internet isn't working or so spotty. She's asked why I bought such an exspensive solution when it has so many issues. 

It's hard to explain that I can just log into it and fix the issue when I know exactly what it is (I have a wifi scanning app and channels need to change) yet stuck to use mobile phone app rather than something professional and easy as a web browser. 

Anyways ya crazy when something that should give us control doesn't and makes the devices reliable actually hinders it and makes it look like garbage compared to a cheap regular router.  

Options
2021-01-26 12:26:47

IanPH wrote

I think the only thing we can do right now is report TP-links message as Inappropriate Content (pull down options in the upper right corner of their message) noting that this is NOT a solution and TP-link fails to listen to their user base.

@IanPH I've done this and they don't care. They Mark there communication as solutions then take months to respond when what they wrote was completely inaccurate and misleading. 

ive taken screenshot just to show how bad it is as I can see TP-Link getting petty and deleting comments. 

Options
2021-01-26 15:51:59

@IanPH 

Same thing for me. Wife complains internet is slow. Kids complain internet not working. Even I can't use my internet at times and end up tethering from my phone and I had to do time sensitive stuff!!!. Solution for me is to ditch Tplink. Pretty annoying given I have been using TPlink products for a long long time.

Case in point, I ditched my TpLink mesh and went for A certain Chinese brand that goes H****i, AX3. 50 quid per node for Wifi 6 Mesh! You can get ti from Amazon. Went from Getting about 15-40mbps on Tplink to about 200mbps now.

Can't be happier. :D Other usual brands to consider are of course Asus or Netgear Orbi. Xiaomi has some too but the wait for it.

Hope this helps.

Options
2021-01-26 15:55:49
I think the worst part is that they aren't even planning to do anything about it!! Clearly if their current implemented auto channel switching system doesn't optimise channels properly, a simpler solution would to allow manual switching, than to retweak their auto switching system. Sounds like someone in their team is trying to over-engineer a solution... Btw, I've made the move last week from TpLink to Huawei AX3 wifi 6 mesh. No issues so far.
Options
2021-02-02 19:25:44

@TP-Link The 'WiFi assistant' in the app suggests the network is on a congested channel. When I look at everything in range I can see that my Deco M9 has indeed picked the most congested channel. The obvious thing to do would be to move my network to a less congested channel... but the app doesn't allow it. What am I supposed to do? 

Options
2021-02-02 19:43:19

@TPLink

we are all saying and seeing the same activity with our Deco's. They choose the most congested channel. Are you certain the code works as conceptually designed? Perhaps, something was  missed or a value is incorrect in the code causing these devices to utilize the most congested channels vs the least congested. 

You don't have to provide me with access to change the channel manually, just fix the code so it chooses the least congested channels please!

Options
2021-02-04 15:56:40
yeah I see the same thing on my X60 as well. I stumbled upon this when I was figuring that if the app is telling me to get off those channels that I could somehow set it. Now I know based on this topic.
Options
2021-02-13 15:37:32

@TP-Link_Deco WTF!!!! I'm really flabbergasted to discover that something simple as changing the channel is and probably never will be available!!! I bought this mesh system (m5) a couple months ago to once and for all fix the bad WiFi in my (new) house... although it works fine most of the time, I never once experienced the WOW since having this up and running, in fact it was on my to do list to figure out why i still experience poor connections and speed as much as i do. My wife was somewhat complaining from the start ("waste of money because nothing much has improved") but, since we need to work at home all the time it has become frustrating even more. 

Your whole explanation story is a good try, with the best intentions i guess... but it's certainly no solution and also doesn't give any hope... in fact it sounds more like excuses for something you guys can't/want fix....

According to my information my WIFI channel is now 36 but, the best channel should be 161. If i look at you answer you are telling that it isn't as simple as that, which i think could be true... nevertheless is my internet connection really poor today and i don't have a lot to try an fix this.....

Options
2021-03-06 22:40:18

My Decos used to be fine and worked really well, then about this time last year my Sky box dropped off the network and after much testing with the engineer we PROVED that the SKY network and the deco network were interfering with each other - can't say if this is a TP-Link issue or a SKY one but we proved it by running the sky box from an ether net cable and then switching it to the BT router wifi network, both of which worked perfectly. Switch back th the Deco network and the sky box freezes after a few minutes - tried with two separate SkY Q boxes and it was the same result with both

I also had a more recent issue with my philips Hue lights which suddenly got very sluggish and then stopped working all together - we tracked this down to the Deco mesh network as well.

Now if I could have been ble to change the channel on the deco to stop it from interfering with the zigbee network that Hue uses it would have been OK.

Off to research other mesh devices now...

Options

Tags

Feature Request
Channel and channel width
Related Articles