Deco P7 see powerline connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-05 09:16:09 - last edited 2019-03-14 01:30:49
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I recently installed a P7 system and am very happy with it. However I am curious whether you can see somewhere whether the powerline  connection is stable/functioning (a known problem in some homes with powerline). And thus to what extent the powerline adds to the internet in my house. Is there a possibility to see the amount of powerline activity, I cannot find it in the app

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Deco P7 see powerline connection-Solution
2019-03-12 02:31:32 - last edited 2019-03-14 01:30:49

Hello,

We can get the connection speed through the powerline led's color.

May it help. 

Nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2019-03-13 10:58:17 - last edited 2019-03-14 01:31:00

Hello,

The powerline adapter does use AES-128 encrypted, while the premise that the powerline backhaul takes effect is that the Deco P7s were added into the same Mesh network;

It can be said that there will be a cloud key shared after the initial setup based on your TP-Link ID, then the powerline function will work combined with the default AES-128. 

With 2 Deco P 7 plugged into the wall socket, the powerline won't take effect, and other powerline adapters cannot pair with it either.

May it help.

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
15 Reply
Re:Deco P7 see powerline connection
2019-03-06 14:10:04
At least they should say what the led color in the plug means.
Options
2019-03-06 15:52:32

please also allow users to change powerline network name for enhanced security

Options
Re:Re:Deco P7 see powerline connection
2019-03-10 13:23:15

I have asked this (light color explanation) many months ago, but got no answer...

Options
2019-03-10 14:31:31

The powerline connection is totally undocumented in deco P7 and the Deco app has no information at all. In this regard Deco P7 is a black box and one just has to hope it is secure.

I cannot find any documentation abou the powerline connection. Is it encrypted or not? At the moment user cannot manually pair the adapters and enable the encryption. I live in a house with multiple apartments, where there is no guarantee that the electrical circuits between apartments are isolated. Even in separated houses powerline signal usually bleeds much further than anticipated.

Then there is the led on powerbrick which changes color and sometime flashes. No documentation of the states...

Last part is the general problem of not knowing which method of backhaul is in use. The documentation is also vague about whether the P7 uses only one backhaul channel at time of whether it uses multiple backhaul channels in combination (ethernet, powerline or wifi).

In my opinion the Deco app needs an urgent update with information about the powerline status. I'd also like an option to disable the powerline function if needed for example when one has an active ethernet backhaul. The information about and controls over powerline should also be available when the deco is in AP-mode instead of router mode.

Options
2019-03-12 02:31:32 - last edited 2019-03-14 01:30:49

Hello,

We can get the connection speed through the powerline led's color.

May it help. 

Nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2019-03-12 02:32:33

Hello,

you can look that picture to get the related information.

Good day. 

Options
2019-03-12 02:34:16

Hello,

The powerline function is used to support PLC backhaul. While it has nothing to do with the powerline network.

And you do not have to worry about the security, it is just used to enhance the performance of Deco P7.

May it help.

Nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco P7 see powerline connection
2019-03-12 02:34:53

Hello,

Sorry for the trouble caused.

You can refer to the picture above.

Good day. 

Options
2019-03-12 05:58:40

Samppa wrote

The powerline connection is totally undocumented in deco P7 and the Deco app has no information at all. In this regard Deco P7 is a black box and one just has to hope it is secure.

I cannot find any documentation abou the powerline connection. Is it encrypted or not? At the moment user cannot manually pair the adapters and enable the encryption. I live in a house with multiple apartments, where there is no guarantee that the electrical circuits between apartments are isolated. Even in separated houses powerline signal usually bleeds much further than anticipated.

Then there is the led on powerbrick which changes color and sometime flashes. No documentation of the states...

Last part is the general problem of not knowing which method of backhaul is in use. The documentation is also vague about whether the P7 uses only one backhaul channel at time of whether it uses multiple backhaul channels in combination (ethernet, powerline or wifi).

In my opinion the Deco app needs an urgent update with information about the powerline status. I'd also like an option to disable the powerline function if needed for example when one has an active ethernet backhaul. The information about and controls over powerline should also be available when the deco is in AP-mode instead of router mode.

Hello, the powerline function is used to enhance the performance (speed & stability). it has nothing to with the powerline network, so you do not have to worry about the security. 

And there is no option to manage it.

For the color, you can refer to the above picture.

And there is a plan to add the function which shows the specific backhaul in use in next firmware.  And there is  no priority for any backhaul connection. Based on the APS (Adaptive Path Selection) mechanism, Deco will choose the best backhaul connection depending on its throughput and load.

May it help.

Good day.

Options
2019-03-12 13:21:43

Kevin_Z wrote

Hello, the powerline function is used to enhance the performance (speed & stability). it has nothing to with the powerline network, so you do not have to worry about the security. 

And there is no option to manage it.

For the color, you can refer to the above picture.

And there is a plan to add the function which shows the specific backhaul in use in next firmware.  And there is  no priority for any backhaul connection. Based on the APS (Adaptive Path Selection) mechanism, Deco will choose the best backhaul connection depending on its through

I know that the P7 uses powerline function as only as a backhaul.

By your marketing material I'm guessing the communication protocol conforms to the Homeplug AV2 specification. I know the communication is AES-128 encrypted, but by default with a common key shared with all TP-link powerline adapters (and propably with all other manufacturer adapters) to ensure one can just plug and play powerline adapters. If the user wants to secure the powerline network s/he has to pair the devices manually which creates a new key shared only with the paired devices and therefore forms a new logical powerline network.

A crude analogy would be if all the Wi-fi routers came configured with a same SSID and password. The communication is encrypted, but not secure since it is trivial to know the key.

TP-link documentation does not tell how the P7 powerline adapters are configured and it doesn't tell if the deco app pairs the poweline adapters when one sets up the decos via the app. There is also no documentation whether the data itself is encrypted by the decos. Analogy for this would be a VPN, where one accepts the fact that the network is shared with others and encrypts the data itself.

I guess I'll just have to buy one more powerline adapter and start poking around to see what is going on, your answer did not offer any technical explanation how the security within powerline backchannel is handled. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3706

Replies: 15

Related Articles