Archer C2300 - Intermittent FTP Connection Problems over TLS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-18 11:59:30
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.3

iMac 27" late 2013  |  Intel i7 3.5GHz  |  8GB RAM  |  MacOS 10.14.3

FileZilla 3.4.11  |  Transmit 3.7

I have an intermittent issue uploading files via FTP using TLS. Specifically, it happens when I try to upload folders containing many files and sub-folders such as WordPress core or theme files. The error on FileZilla tranfer log shows something like this:

tatus:      Resolving address of ds.6274.co.uk

Response: 200 Type set to I

Command: PASV

Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (217,78,1,89,198,10).

Command: MLSD

Error:        Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity

Error:        Could not connect to server

Status:      Delaying connection for 5 seconds due to previously failed connection attempt...

Status:      Delaying connection for 5 seconds due to previously failed connection attempt...

Error:        File transfer failed

Large, single files are not a problem, it's when there are lots of small files that the problem occurs.

I say intermittent because there is no pattern to which server it happens on or how many files will transfer successfully before the error occurs. Technical support for several servers I use say the problem must be at my end i.e. with my router / firewall, etc so I'm hoping someone here can help. I have also tried connecting to the server using the hotspot on my phone (and mobile data) and the problem goes away.

By the way, how is my router model not in the drop-down list when you create a message thread? That's very surprising!

Options
25 Reply
Re:Archer C2300 - Intermittent FTP Connection Problems over TLS
2019-03-19 05:39:50

Hello,

What is the model number of your product? Regarding to the model issue, we will forward it to our related department and then they can work on it. 

What is the current network topology? How do you use FTP server? 

Good day. 

Options
2019-03-19 09:18:21

Hi, here is all the information I have on my router:

Archer C2300  |  Firmware Version 2.0.3 Build 20180810 Rel. 62903(4555/4445)  |  Hardware Version: Archer C2300 v1.0

Channel Width: Auto  |  Channel: Auto  - I live in quite a remote area with not many houses around me. I have never experienced problems with crowded channels.

I have Wi-Fi internet. There is a cable coming into my house from a small receiver on the roof. This cable carries data and power so there is a splitter inside the house that splits the cable into to an RJ-45 (which goes to my router) and a socket for a small power adapter (like a phone charger) that I plug into the wall.

The router is approximately 5m from my computer in another room. I have tried connecting my computer to the router via wi-fi (2.4GHz and 5GHz) and directly with a Cat 5E ethernet cable. The problem with disconnecting happens with both methods.

I've done further testing on various servers and the timeouts happen on non-secure FTP uploads (port 21) and TLS connections. I have also tested the same uploads using the hotspot on my phone with mobile data. The problem does not occur there, only when I use my router.

Any ideas? Do you need to know all the settings on every page in the router admin.

Options
Re:Re:Archer C2300 - Intermittent FTP Connection Problems over TLS
2019-03-20 07:42:18

Hi Gordon,

It is suggested to downgrade the firmware and give it a go. 

May it help. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Archer C2300 - Intermittent FTP Connection Problems over TLS
2019-03-25 10:11:21

Hi, thanks for your reply. I also saw your message about emailing me instructions but I didn't receive any emails from you. I also checked my spam folder and there was nothing there.

I went to the TP Link website and found the firmware page. The names of the firmware versions (and folder names) are very different from those on my router so I had to guess that the file at the top was the newest. Since my router currently says that I have the latest version I presumed I had the first firmware file installed, so I downloaded the one below that which had an earlier date. However, the router would not let me install it. Can you tell me here how to downgrade the firmware?

Thanks

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Archer C2300 - Intermittent FTP Connection Problems over TLS
2019-03-26 01:02:08

hi, do not know why you did not get it; please check the message again, you should get it now. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Archer C2300 - Intermittent FTP Connection Problems over TLS
2019-03-26 19:00:04
it's impossible to downgrade the firmware...
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Archer C2300 - Intermittent FTP Connection Problems over TLS
2019-03-27 06:09:20

jazzy wrote

it's impossible to downgrade the firmware...

Hey Jazzy, do you have the same issue? failed to downgrade firmware?

Options
2020-06-10 16:20:53

To anyone who sees this. One year later, I still have the same issue. I am still not able to reliably upload folders with large numbers of small files e.g. WordPress core installation files.

Options
2020-12-22 13:32:32

@gordonblackler Did you ever figurer this out? I haver the same issue.

Options
2020-12-24 08:08:50

@scj6771 

Are you using the Archer C2300 V1.0 as well? Can I have the error screenshot when you tried to upload the files via FTP using TLS?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3567

Replies: 25