Archer C2300 - Intermittent FTP Connection Problems over TLS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C2300 - Intermittent FTP Connection Problems over TLS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
25 Reply
Re:Archer C2300 - Intermittent FTP Connection Problems over TLS
2021-04-16 20:16:37 - last edited 2021-04-16 21:30:40

I have just purchased an AC2300 about a week ago and it works well in general, however I am having the same problem with timeout errors and at first I thought it was just a connection issue or something with my web host, but after hours of testing I went back to my old Vodafone router and it worked perfectly. Is there any solution to this FTP issue? If not this one is going back to Amazon on Monday.

I am a web designer and I cannot afford to mess about like this with website uploads. Tried it now on different Mac computers and FTP clients with the same problems if I use the AC2300. Details below.

Options
2021-04-17 08:26:19 - last edited 2021-04-17 12:08:29

I don't want to claim victory too quickly, however I think I have found the cause and possibly the solution. Inside the advanced router settings under security I disabled the intrusion prevention system and then it uploaded perfectly. Since re-enabling it has been fine as well. 

The router had been switched off overnight while the old one was in use and I shall keep testing this with other domains, but it would good if somebody else could verify if this works. I am on a Mac running Big Sur but it shouldn't make any difference. 

EDIT: The problem came back later and I was unable to even delete a number of folders from the server. Once again switching off intrusion prevention system immediately unlocked the situation allowing me to both delete and then upload a 100 page website in no time. Obviously we want to keep that enabled in normal practice and it would be a pain to disable every time we want to use FTP. @Kevin_Z Any chance TP-Link can resolve this with some kind of update in the near future? It seems to have been affecting users now for the last three years. 

Options
2021-04-20 03:09:51

@Bilko 

Can we have the detailed network layout, then we can try to analyze?

How large of the USB device attached to the C2300? How about its format?

If that is possible, please test this FTP connection from another system, such as Windows.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-04-20 07:11:07

@Kevin_Z  There was no USB drive involved here. This was simply connecting to my web host running a LiteSpeed server via FTP wih the protocol set to TLS. This had always run perfectly with my old router and suddenly became a problem after installing the C2300. A bit of digging showed these timeouts were caused by the Intrusion Prevention System inside the antivirus area that is enabled by default. 

I have tested this on a different Mac using an older OS and different FTP clients that all had the same results. My web host looked at this from their end and had no difficulties at all, so the common factor here seems to the Intrusion Prevention System and I can replicate this every time.   

Options
2021-04-20 09:06:02

@Bilko 

Thank you very much for getting back with the detailed info.

Can I confirm again what is this "Intrusion Prevention System" you are referring to exactly? Please kindly show us the screenshot.

BTW, is the LiteSpeed server running inside the C2300 LAN, and you are trying to access it from WAN?

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-04-20 09:14:37

@Kevin_Z The LiteSpeed server is just the type used by my web host. This is a remote connection over FTP.

The Intrusion Prevention System is part of TP-Link's own security settings in the anti-virus section of the router.

Options
2021-04-20 09:20:23

@Bilko 

Thanks again for all the details. The tech team was made aware of your issue, they will reach out to you via email to continue to troubleshoot your issue.

Options
2021-06-29 11:55:25

I am having exactly the same issue. router details are:

Archer C2300  |  Firmware Version 2.0.3 Build 20180810 Rel. 62903(4555/4445)  |  Hardware Version: Archer C2300 v1.0

The ftp facility just doesn't work with any kind of resilience for mass file transfer. Can someone from the tech team please reach out to advise what actions to take.

Options
2021-06-29 12:01:30

@mcwebster Switch off the Intrusion Prevention System under the security settings and try again. It's a real pain switching this on and off if you use FTP regularly, but that should fix your issue. It's not a problem trying to upload one or two files, but try uploading a website with hundreds of files and it hits one block after another unless you disable this. 

Options
2021-06-29 12:20:39

@Bilko cheers, will give it a go. Was hoping for a more permanent fix from TP-Link. Let's be honest, a company like them should be selling more resistant hardware!

Options