Need for clarification on How to use webpage firmware recovery if the router become brick (new logo)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Need for clarification on How to use webpage firmware recovery if the router become brick (new logo)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-04 18:04:53 - last edited 2020-08-04 11:09:58
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: n/a

Hello everyone.

Would the procedure "How to use webpage firmware recovery if the router become brick (new logo)":

1.- ...work on version 4 of the Archer C9 router?

2.- How to get back to stock firmware from dd-wrt?

The router is not bricked but I would like to know if anyone has already tried to use the procedure above to reflash TPLink latest firmware back from dd-wrt and succeeded. As you can see I do have doubts and fear to go far beyond my league of virtual noob. I apologise if this is out of topic for the forum and otherwise am thankful if anyone would shed some light into the subject.

Best regards.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Need for clarification on How to use webpage firmware recovery if the router become brick (new logo)-Solution
2020-08-04 11:09:23 - last edited 2020-08-04 11:19:36

@maccurly 

At last I've managed to find a "tutorial" that led me to the right direction.

Upon following the instructions depicted in this github link, I've managed to get back to stock tp-link firmware.

archer-c9-back-to-stock (git-hub)

And after a while back again do dd-wrt :) (call it some odd taste if you fancy ... :) ).

Any doubts? Just poke me up here at the forum.

Cheers.

Credits and thank yous to the original authors.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Need for clarification on How to use webpage firmware recovery if the router become brick (new logo)
2019-04-05 18:05:58
My understanding that once a router is bricked, it is not a sure thing that it can be un-bricked. It depends on the router and what caused it to brick. Why would you have a need to replace the C9 firmware with dd-wrt?
Options
Re:Need for clarification on How to use webpage firmware recovery if the router become brick (new logo)
2019-04-09 06:15:56

Hi,

Sorry to respond late.

The instruction to recovery firmware work on Archer C9 V4 as well.

While firmware recovery is regarding to the official firmware. In other word, once it is bricked after upgrading the official firmware, we can use this function to flash it back. For the 3rd party firmware, I'm afraid that we cannot do that. 

Besides, please notice the below statement about 3rd party firmware. 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/archer-c9/v4/#Firmware 

May it help.

Good day. 

Options
Re:Need for clarification on How to use webpage firmware recovery if the router become brick (new logo)-Solution
2020-08-04 11:09:23 - last edited 2020-08-04 11:19:36

@maccurly 

At last I've managed to find a "tutorial" that led me to the right direction.

Upon following the instructions depicted in this github link, I've managed to get back to stock tp-link firmware.

archer-c9-back-to-stock (git-hub)

And after a while back again do dd-wrt :) (call it some odd taste if you fancy ... :) ).

Any doubts? Just poke me up here at the forum.

Cheers.

Credits and thank yous to the original authors.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2190

Replies: 3