Deco M4 in DMZ of modem/router - firewall?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-10 07:02:09
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

(apologies if this is answered elsewhere - I haven't found what I needed searching the forums)

my setup  is   modem/router -> Main Deco M4 -> switch -> XBOX, PC, NAS, Other Deco M4s

Currently I have my main M4 as an access point - but would like to use it in router mode.

However, when I enabled this, I was getting a Double NAT warning on my XBOX (which I think might impact online gaming)

My modem/router doesn't have a bridge mode - so the only solution I can think of is putting the M4 in the DMZ of the modem/router.

My question is - are there security risks because of this? Does the M4 have any firewall?

(my main concern is the NAS on the M4 network, since I like having this behind a firewall from the internet at large)

My networking knowledge is pretty basic - so I might be overlooking something simple here..

thanks for any feedback/suggestions!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M4 in DMZ of modem/router - firewall?
2019-04-11 01:56:49

Hi,

FYI, the Deco M4 does not support DMZ yet, while it supports port forwarding. Regarding to the double NAT issue, you can setup the port forwarding for the Xbox.

M4 does have firewall, and cause the M4 connected to the modem/router, with double NAT existed, it will protect the whole network. 

May it help, good day.

jabberwookie wrote

Hi,

my setup  is   modem/router -> Main Deco M4 -> switch -> XBOX, PC, NAS, Other Deco M4s

Currently I have my main M4 as an access point - but would like to use it in router mode.

However, when I enabled this, I was getting a Double NAT warning on my XBOX (which I think might impact online gaming)

My modem/router doesn't have a bridge mode - so the only solution I can think of is putting the M4 in the DMZ of the modem/router.

My question is - are there security risks because of this? Does the M4 have any firewall?

(my main concern is the NAS on the M4 network, since I like having this behind a firewall from the internet at large)

My networking knowledge is pretty basic - so I might be overlooking something simple here..

thanks for any feedback/suggestions!

Options
2019-11-29 12:36:18

@Kevin_Z 

Hi, 

I have very similar situation, so I want to ask from here instead of opening a new topic.

I have same configuration but instead of XBOX, I have a NAS that I want to reach from internet. 

I used to do port forwarding on my modem when I have only a modem but with additon of DECO, I have double NAT and I don't know how to do port forwarding in this situation.

What might be the convenient solution to do port forwarding now? 

PS: I was also planning to do DMZ from my modem but since now I learned that M4 do not support DMZ, I need to find another solution.

Options
2019-11-30 17:40:44

@aytek 

you'll have a double NAT issue if you don't put your existing router into a bridge mode and use your existing router purely as a modem and not a router. Then when your existing router is in bridge mode the WAN connection terminates on the Deco using something such as PPPoE (this depends on what your ISP says to do).

if you want to keep your existing router as a router then you will need to use the Decos in access point mode.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 10305

Replies: 3

Related Articles