Do You Need a Physical Wifi Switch on Your Router ? Why ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-06-13 09:55:28

Options
10 Reply
Re:Do You Need a Physical Wifi Switch on Your Router ? Why ?
2013-07-01 21:27:47
As I said elsewhere, that's not very useful for me but it must exist...

By the way, it could be much more interesting to use a multicolour led showing when a LAN port is 100 or 1000Mbps... like my Linksys E3000...
Options
2013-09-01 01:41:40
No, I just unplug everything when I go on vacation.
Options
ip camera
2013-10-08 17:01:57
I know, very well, thank you for your advice
http://www.wansview.com
Options
2014-01-08 00:34:01
I can not reach the switch and the web inteface is easier for me.
Options
2014-03-17 14:45:52
In my (humble) opinion, you can optimize it with following modifications:
- Remove the WiFi-Switch (if you locked yourself out: get a cable)
- Remove the WPS-Button (NO ONE needs WPS! If you can't remember your WPA-key, stick a cable! WPS is insecure.)
- Remove the ON/OFF-Switch : It's only used for resetting the router when you can't find a tiny stick to insert. If anybody wants to switch the router off: right next to the button, there's a powerplug.
- Make the "hidden" Reset switch to a reset-toggle-switch (like the WPA-/ and WiFi-buttons)
Options
yes wifi Switch is too much needy for me
2014-10-06 05:01:58
i have been using Tp Link for many years ... sometime i need full net speed without sharing to someone without wifi .. i often use wired connection via tp-link (with wifi switch off)...
Options
2014-10-27 22:31:55
My last router didn't have a switch and I accidentally hit the rest button while cleaning it and it enabled to default settings leaving the wireless network completely open for a period of time. TP-LINK defaults to a locked network though, which is appreciated. The only problem with that is it uses a locked key, hopefully they can implement a key generator at some point that creates a secure random key every time the router is reset to factory defaults.
Options
2014-12-30 11:46:40

sebbelBS wrote

In my (humble) opinion, you can optimize it with following modifications:
- Remove the WiFi-Switch (if you locked yourself out: get a cable)
- Remove the WPS-Button (NO ONE needs WPS! If you can't remember your WPA-key, stick a cable! WPS is insecure.)
- Remove the ON/OFF-Switch : It's only used for resetting the router when you can't find a tiny stick to insert. If anybody wants to switch the router off: right next to the button, there's a powerplug.
- Make the "hidden" Reset switch to a reset-toggle-switch (like the WPA-/ and WiFi-buttons)

Add ram if you do that. :-)
Options
2014-12-31 09:40:37
The wifi on/off switch is a bad idea; I'm considering how to open the case and physically remove the switch. I can't have some accidental bumping of that switch killing my wireless surveillance system.

WPS is ok. I can tell by reading Amazon questions on router products that there are an awful lot of folks buying and installing their network gear that have no idea what they're doing. The WPS switch at least gives them a chance of success.

Reset needs to be hidden; don't make it available for accidental presses or damage.

Drop the on/off switch; it's easy enough to pull the plug.
Options
2015-01-21 03:45:17
The presence of the wifi switch was an essential criterion for me ( for many reasons: It is a simple way to secure the network, it can avoid radiation easily...).
Why the web interface is not sufficient ? There many reasons but one of them is that when you only have wireless terminals on, you can not activate wifi without a phisical switch...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1201

Replies: 10

Related Articles