Deco units & NBN fttn ready compatibility

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-21 06:34:30
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi Tplink customers staff and management,

Happy Easter to you all 

I'm considering purchasing the Deco M9 Plus units (1 pair) possibly adding a additional pair (4 in total) could you please tell me can I add more than 1 pair, I understand 1 deco unit must be ethernet connected to the DSL moden/router & powered up. Can I add additional units to the system to create a even more stable network, if so how many , Does the system allow Tplink gigabit switches to be added to ethernet connect devices then deco units to transmit data wirelessly (wifi) unit to unit. (have devices set to ethernet connect rather than wifi) I'd like a deco unit at each of the entertainment systems to maximise bandwidth and reduce the dreaded internet gremlins (latency, lagging etc) 

Could you please tell me if the TP-Link Deco units (all variations) are compatible with Australia NBN networks (all variations fttn, fttp fttc etc) from Telstra and other DSL providers. 

I'm with Telstra using their latest smart modem gen2 & their wifi boosters on their NBN fttn network with VOIP for landline internet, calls (send/receive) Would need to change anything on the modem/router to enjoy TP-Link Deco wifi ethernet systems & continue to use Voip I understand switching to bridge mode I'll lose Voip function, can I continue to use the Telstra router function & use Deco as access points to extend coverage & TP-Link, Trend micro for software programming function.

Thank you for your time & patience reading my thread

Kind regards

Dwayne

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco units & NBN fttn ready compatibility
2019-04-22 02:14:02

Hi,

You can add multiple Deco units together, you can refer to  the below statement. 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1588/

Meanwhile, the Deco units can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless, and you can add a gigabit TP-Link switch to proivde more ethernet ports for wired devices. 

Cause there is ethernet port on the Deco unit, the NBN connection will be cable supported and the Deco can work together and the Deco like M5 or M9 plus supports VLAN function now. 

Besides, there is no VOIP function on the Deco, you can use Telstra router function and configure Deco as Access point to extend the wifi coverage area. While some advanced features will disappear, like  parental control, anti-virus or so. 

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Re:Deco units & NBN fttn ready compatibility
2019-04-25 09:40:06
Thank you very much for the valuable information and sharing your experience & knowledge, I was hoping switching Deco units to AP (access point) mode I could retain the fundamental programming parental control antivirus, switching Telstra smart modem original & gen 2 To bridge mode to allow deco in router mode I may lose landline VoIP calling. Would this be a feature that maybe support in future on Tp-Link Deco (all) units fundamental programming features in Access Point mode
Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco units & NBN fttn ready compatibility
2019-04-28 02:12:57

Hi,

Cause some advanced features are based on the gatetway/NAT, which the Deco works in AP mode, it is not a gateway/NAT anymore, so there may be no plan to add it. 

While we will remind our R&D colleagues and they can work on it and evaluate the feasibility.

May it help and have a nice day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-05-02 08:34:00

@Kevin_Z I've just spent an afternoon retrying to make a Deco M5 unit work with my NBN Modem - to no avail. Followed the instructions to the letter and it was fine until I came to connect to my new network - then the light on the Deco went red and my phone couldn't find an internet connection through the Deco. 

Modem works fine with my existing TP-Link wireless router. 

Options
2020-07-14 08:23:52

@JBondi 

Hello,

I wonder if this is as simple as configuring the M9 as the PPPOE to log into the internet, and using your Telstra modem (or other modem) with SIP as an access point instead of router mode.

Therefore the SIP modem is a slave and the phone traffic should flow through the M9 to the internet.

It's worth a try.

Richard

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5271

Replies: 5

Related Articles