Smart connect vs mu-mimo

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Smart connect vs mu-mimo

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Smart connect vs mu-mimo
Smart connect vs mu-mimo
2019-04-26 22:47:48
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

I’ve found that when I enable smart connect, I can’t specify mu-mimo. If I enable mu-mimo, then enable smart connect, if I then disable smart connect, I find that mu-mimo has been disabled as well. Can I have both of these features enabled at the same time, or must I choose one or the other?

Thsnks. 

Options
10 Reply
Re:Smart connect vs mu-mimo
2019-04-28 03:39:27

Hi,

The MU-MIMO takes effect regarding to 5GHz. While smart connection is for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. 

Once the device switched to 2.4GHz, MU-MIMO won't work. That is why you encountered such issue. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

wjtaggart wrote

I’ve found that when I enable smart connect, I can’t specify mu-mimo. If I enable mu-mimo, then enable smart connect, if I then disable smart connect, I find that mu-mimo has been disabled as well. Can I have both of these features enabled at the same time, or must I choose one or the other?

Thsnks. 

Options
Re:Re:Smart connect vs mu-mimo
2019-04-29 00:05:46

Thank you for your response. I would have thought mu-mimo would still be in effect for the 802.11ac bands. Would it work if I disabled 2.4 entirely, and then enabled smart connect using only the two 5ghz  bands?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Smart connect vs mu-mimo
2019-04-29 05:41:10

Hi,

Seems that there are some misunderstanding. 

Whether the MU-MIMO function will work depends on depends on the timing you enable the smart connect.  That is to say, if the MU-MIMO for 5GHz has been enabled prior to smart connect, once the device switched to the 5GHz, the MU-MIMO still work, while when it is switched to 2.4GHz, it stops working. 

Besides, if you enabled the smart connect first, there will be no option to turn on MU-MIMO.

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Smart connect vs mu-mimo
2019-04-30 03:35:56

Ah!  That was my hope. Before I enable smart connect, I enable mu-mimo on each of the 5ghz bands. Why I raised the question is that having done this, if I then turn smart connect off, I find that mu-mimo has become unchecked. I have no way of knowing the status of the 5ghz mu-mimo switches when smart connect is on. It would be better if they stayed checked through this process. 

To be clear, you are saying that mu-mimo remains set until I turn smart connect off? 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Smart connect vs mu-mimo
2019-05-06 02:17:25

Hi,

There is no MU-MIMO option once you enabled smart connect, cause the 2.4GHz does not support MU-MIMO.

First, you can enable MU-MIMO with smart connect disabled, and MU-MIMO will take effect; or you can enable them both, and the MU-MIMO will take effect when the device switched to connect to the 5GHz. 

May it help. 

wjtaggart wrote

Ah!  That was my hope. Before I enable smart connect, I enable mu-mimo on each of the 5ghz bands. Why I raised the question is that having done this, if I then turn smart connect off, I find that mu-mimo has become unchecked. I have no way of knowing the status of the 5ghz mu-mimo switches when smart connect is on. It would be better if they stayed checked through this process. 

To be clear, you are saying that mu-mimo remains set until I turn smart connect off? 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Smart connect vs mu-mimo
2019-05-06 15:31:32

Thank you. I understand that mu-mimo only exists on the 5ghz bands. And I understand that enabling mu-MIMO, and then smart connect, will allow mu-MIMO whenever a device is connected to the 5ghz bands, only. 

I thank you for your time and patience in explaining this to me. 

Bill

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Smart connect vs mu-mimo
2019-05-07 06:15:30

You are most welcome. glad to help.

Do not hesitate to contact us if need more help in the future. 

Have a good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Smart connect vs mu-mimo
2020-05-04 17:37:09

@Kevin_Z 

So, if I use MIMO with an external antenna, if I then use a Powerline from the router, what is that transfering?

5 or 2.4 signal via LAN?

Options
2020-07-04 02:17:12 - last edited 2020-07-04 02:24:02

Just went thru this same thing with TP-Link support and they have no idea how these two items work together, or if they do.  The answer you will get will depend on who picks up your line.  

Enabling smart connect does not provide all of the options that one needs to set and use MU-MIMO on the AX11000.  Really too bad they didn't realize this when they created the bios for the router.  Disabling smart connect allows you to set the MU-MIMO feature so you can use your T3U adapters (the only USB ones that have MU-MIMO).  If you then, after enabling MU-MIMO, enable smart connect (at least on my AX11000) the MU-MIMO option stays checked (evidenced by unchecking smart connect and looks at the MU-MIMO setting) so it is, on mine at least, staying enabled with smart connect.  Now what happens once smart connect starts managing the devices it services is anyone's guess, including TP-Link support.  I would imagine, based on some experimentation, that the MU-MIMO is enabled once checked in or out of smart connect but in smart connect only enabled until something pulls up a 2.4 connection (like a camera or something) and then the router dumps the MU-MIMO option because smart connect is single minded (can't really manage three bands and all the details assoicated with them).  So I left smart connect off and manually connected all my 5 devices to the router so I know they were using the best connection.  Guess what, connected to the T3U there was no difference in the response of the computer at all, might as well left everything default.  You see, MU-MIMO only enhances the connection between the router and computer with an appropriate adapter.  Nothing comes into the router any faster with or without MU-MIMO so the whole process is just fun and games.  We need an ISP that can provide MU-MIMO connections, then we'd be working.  My primary computer is attached to the AX11000 thru a 1000 mbps wired connection and it flies, not a computer on the network (all wireless) can even come close.  Thinking about running cable again.   Just my opinioni for what it's worth.

BTW... changed ALL the cables to Cat 6a and it made a world of difference in the stablity of the computer, consistency of the flow and solved several problems I been trying to solve for months, believe it was all the electical interfernece the cables pick up running over and under all the bricks (power supplies) and extension cords and switches laying in the back.

Robert D. Weaver Heyburn, ID 83336-7674 (208) 731-6760 bob@mail5.us
Options
2021-02-17 02:58:21

@wjtaggart So the MU-MIMO still works while smart connect is turned on and device is connected to the 5gz?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4854

Replies: 10

Related Articles