is daisy chaining two range extenders (TL-WA860 RE) possible?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-29 08:31:02 - last edited 2020-02-13 07:44:57
Model: TL-WA860RE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

...if yes, how would I need to proceed? Setting: The first extender is close to the router (and works fine) but the second one does not receive the signal from the router but would receive (because there is coverage since using the first range extender) the signal from the first range extender but does not connect!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:is daisy chaining two range extenders (TL-WA860 RE) possible?-Solution
2019-05-03 08:48:03 - last edited 2020-02-13 07:44:57

Hi,

To ensure the performance, we do not suggest you to connect them as daisy chaining. While it is possible if you want to do that. 

In that way, it is suggested to create different network names for the 2 extenders. 

Meanwhile, there are some products can be used to extend the wifi range, for example, if the whole house are running under the same power circuit, powerline adapters with wifi function is a good choice. 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/powerline/

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:is daisy chaining two range extenders (TL-WA860 RE) possible?-Solution
2019-05-03 08:48:03 - last edited 2020-02-13 07:44:57

Hi,

To ensure the performance, we do not suggest you to connect them as daisy chaining. While it is possible if you want to do that. 

In that way, it is suggested to create different network names for the 2 extenders. 

Meanwhile, there are some products can be used to extend the wifi range, for example, if the whole house are running under the same power circuit, powerline adapters with wifi function is a good choice. 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/powerline/

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Re:is daisy chaining two range extenders (TL-WA860 RE) possible?
2019-05-26 22:08:13
I have 2 of the Range Extender TL-WA860RE. I want to have one upstairs and one downstairs in my house. Are you suggesting that I name them separately from each other and from main network? Can they all have the same password for login?
Options
Re:Re:Re:is daisy chaining two range extenders (TL-WA860 RE) possible?
2019-05-27 10:04:13

Hi,

It is suggested to name them separately from each other, and the password should be the main router's wifi password. 

Good day. 

NMKbdb wrote

I have 2 of the Range Extender TL-WA860RE. I want to have one upstairs and one downstairs in my house. Are you suggesting that I name them separately from each other and from main network? Can they all have the same password for login?

Options
2020-02-12 19:38:45

@Kevin_Z Hi,

I am trying to create similar scenario but with rooters, but no sure about the steps to do it.

I have configured first router, then I set the second in Extender mode, did scan and select the wifi from the main router. In Wireless > Extended Network I set different name for the SSID, but kept the original password.

As result I have 2 wifi networks.

Now the intersting part is with the 3th router. What I have to extend - again the original router or the second one (in Extender mode) ?

On all extenders I disabled the DHCP and set different Static IPs.

In my case this will be closed lan - no Internet access, but is very important to pass between the extenders few Preserved IPs (by MAC address), set in the main router.

Thanks and Best Regards!

Options
2020-02-13 08:07:13

@Miroslav-P 

Hello, what is the model number of your router.

How do you want to locate the two slave routers which work as the range extender? Theoretically, you can connect them like main router )))((( router A )))((( router B.

While like we mentioned earlier, it is suggested to connect the WDS routers to the main router directly to ensure its performance.

Good day.

Options
2020-02-13 11:45:54

@Kevin_Z 

The extender routers are model WR841N.

It is about a block, the main router (I think it was WR940N) will be on base level, I want to extend to floor 5, and put an extender on 2nd and 4th floor. So I want to connect them as follow: main <-> ext1 <-> ext2 (in vertical direction).

So I set ext1 to Extender mode and select the wifi from the main. I tried to do the same for ext2. It worked at the begining, but the important form me was the extenders to get the perserved IPs form the main router. It looks like the ext2 did not get the list.

Also I put same SSID on all.

Any advices how to connect them?

Thanks and regards!

Options
2020-02-14 09:30:46

@Miroslav-P 

Hello, you can repeat the procedures to configure the extender 2 like you did on the first one.

You can give it a static IP address and connect it to the extender 1's wifi with the same password.

And cause they are connected by wireless and it is 5 floors in total, the performance will be weaker with higher floor.

If it does not work well, you can consider the mesh devices, like Deco series; or if the whole house is running under the same power circuit, you can use powerline adapters with wifi function to boost signal. Like TL-WPA7510KIT, TL-PWA8630KIT.

Good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 12472

Replies: 7