TL-WR1043ND - How to ignore ping packets from WAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-01 11:09:10 - last edited 2019-05-05 11:54:32
Model: TL-WR1043N  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Build 150910

Hi everybody, I'm new in the Community. I'm having a problem with my router TL-WR1043ND (model is not "TL-WR1043N", but my model does not appear in the list of models surprise): using the ShieldsUp test at grc.com, it seems that the router is responding the ping (ICMP Echo) requests. I want to set the router so that it does not reply. In the Advanced Security page, "Ignore Ping Packet from WAN Port to Router" and " Forbid Ping Packet from LAN Port to Router" are both enabled, and in Basic Security the SPI Firewall is enabled too (see images).

I've tried in every way with the other settings but I cannot find a solution, the router still responds. I don't know where to look in the settings anymore. How can I do to block ping reply? Thanks for the help.

Options
5 Reply
Re:TL-WR1043ND - How to ignore ping packets from WAN
2019-05-06 02:08:48

Hey, how did you ping the router? Please show us a picture of the ping result. 

Meanwhile, it is suggested to ping the Internet IP of the router remotelu and check whether it works.

Any updates, please let us know.

Have a nice day. 

Options
2019-05-07 00:38:59

Thank you Kevin_Z for your answer. This is the ping result, when I try to ping the router IP address remotely:

Every time I test router IP address using the ShieldsUp test at grc.com, the response is: "Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation".

When I use another way to connect (mobile network, for example), the ShieldsUp test is passed.

Options
Re:Re:TL-WR1043ND - How to ignore ping packets from WAN
2019-05-07 07:05:43

Hi,

What is the hostname?

Could you please show us a screenshot of the status page or tell us the current internet IP address of the 1043ND so that we can do a test at our end and try to fix it. 

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
2019-05-07 21:31:35

Sorry... Here they are, the screenshot of the status page

And the ping result with current hostname

Thank you.

Options
2021-12-30 07:31:22

Any updates on the resolution of this?  I have an AX300 and am experiencing the exact same issue.  How do I get my router to pass the tests that Shields-Up throws at it.

It not only fails the WAN Ping Test, but plenty of open ports too.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4414

Replies: 5

Related Articles