Deco M5 firmware 1.2.8 fast roaming creates an additional open network access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 firmware 1.2.8 fast roaming creates an additional open network access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-02 08:37:02 - last edited 2019-12-19 01:21:51
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.8 Build 20190403 rel 40244

I have just installed a tripple setup of the Deco m5 and updated to the latest firmware, when ever I enable fast roaming in my setup, I can now see two wireless access points for my network SID, one is secured, and the other is compltely open, and I can choose to connect to this ap with no authentication

BigE0n
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 firmware 1.2.8 fast roaming creates an additional open network access point-Solution
2019-12-19 01:21:38 - last edited 2019-12-19 01:21:51

Hi all,

You can read article below to get more information about fast roaming. 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/180194?page=1 

Best regards. 

Recommended Solution
Options
17 Reply
Re:Deco M5 firmware 1.2.8 fast roaming creates an additional open network access point
2019-05-03 07:34:33 - last edited 2019-07-05 03:40:17

Hi,

What is the current network topology/diagram? In other word, how do you connect these Deco units together?

What do you mean you can see 2 wireless access points for your network SSID? Is it that you can see 2 network SSIDs, one is secured and the other one is open?Could you please show us a picture of it? 

With fast roaming disabled, does it happen again? 

Have a nice day. 

BigE0n wrote

I have just installed a tripple setup of the Deco m5 and updated to the latest firmware, when ever I enable fast roaming in my setup, I can now see two wireless access points for my network SID, one is secured, and the other is compltely open, and I can choose to connect to this ap with no authentication

Options
Re:Re:Deco M5 firmware 1.2.8 fast roaming creates an additional open network access point
2019-05-03 13:08:54 - last edited 2019-05-03 13:30:00

i am also running on 1.2.8 and also see an open network now: Deco_896C.

I doesn't disappear, also not when i disabe fast roaming.

And indeed: you can connect to this open network

Options
Re:Re:Deco M5 firmware 1.2.8 fast roaming creates an additional open network access point
2019-05-03 15:41:11 - last edited 2019-05-03 16:00:08

Kevin_Z wrote

Hi,

What is the current network topology/diagram? In other word, how do you connect these Deco units together?

What do you mean you can see 2 wireless access points for your network SSID? Is it that you can see 2 network SSIDs, one is secured and the other one is open?Could you please show us a picture of it? 

With fast roaming disabled, does it happen again? 

Besides, what is the cloud account? 

Have a nice day. 

BigE0n wrote

They are all connected wirelessly to each other as a mesh, I am using the decos router mode whilst the main deco is connected via ethernet to my cable Modem, and have setup the deco's with my own 'mywirelessnetwork' with WPA2 security

When I activate fast roaming and then refresh any device (phone, laptop etc) to view wireless networks I can see TWO 'mywirelessnetwork' networks; one having a padlock and requiring my WPA2 security password and another that is completely open.

I can actually connect to the OPEN one without having to authenticate with the WPA2 password and use it as per a normal network

Im not sure why youneed my cloud account...?

BigE0n
Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 firmware 1.2.8 fast roaming creates an additional open network access point
2019-05-05 10:06:32

Hi,

What is the light status of the 3 Deco M5?

What is the open SSID? Please verify the Mac address of the Deco and find which one broadcasts the wifi network.( The last 4 letters/numbers of Mac address); once you find the specific one, you can reset it and re-add it into the existing network to give it a go.

Any updates, please let us know.

Have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 firmware 1.2.8 fast roaming creates an additional open network access point
2019-05-06 01:43:24

I also had same problem

then I found the unit by mac address and reboot.

after reboot, the unit was still broadcasting an open ssid for few minutes then now it is gone.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 firmware 1.2.8 fast roaming creates an additional open network access point
2019-05-06 05:51:26

Hi kkumul,

Thanks for your feedback.

Cause now it is gone, please take some time to test whether it pops up again.

If still there, please hard reset this unit and re-add it into the existing network to give it a go.

Any updates, please let us know. 

Have a nice day. 

kkumul wrote

I also had same problem

then I found the unit by mac address and reboot.

after reboot, the unit was still broadcasting an open ssid for few minutes then now it is gone.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 firmware 1.2.8 fast roaming creates an additional open network access point
2019-05-12 08:38:37 - last edited 2019-05-12 08:42:19

BigE0n wrote

All three decos have a constant green light.

The open network has exactly the same name as the secured network i configured, and it did not vanish until i turned off fast roaming, which was a good 1 hour as my roku was connected happily to the open network and using it to stream from.

Im sorry im not going to chase around each deco I just have not got time to spend, analysing MAC addresses, etc ill just leave fast roaming off and wait for future firmwares to become available and see if these remidy the issue, if they dont and I need fast roaming then ill send the units back to Amazon, and replace with a differnt brand if required

The important issue is people need to be aware that their decos can open up an open unsecured wifi connection.

BigE0n
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 firmware 1.2.8 fast roaming creates an additional open network access point
2019-05-14 10:41:18

Hi,

As a workaround, you can disable fast roaming for now to solve the open network issue. 

Meanwhile, we will remind our R&D colleagues and they will work on it and try to fix it. 

Any updates, we will let you know immediately. 

Have a nice day. 

BigE0n wrote

BigE0n wrote

All three decos have a constant green light.

The open network has exactly the same name as the secured network i configured, and it did not vanish until i turned off fast roaming, which was a good 1 hour as my roku was connected happily to the open network and using it to stream from.

Im sorry im not going to chase around each deco I just have not got time to spend, analysing MAC addresses, etc ill just leave fast roaming off and wait for future firmwares to become available and see if these remidy the issue, if they dont and I need fast roaming then ill send the units back to Amazon, and replace with a differnt brand if required

The important issue is people need to be aware that their decos can open up an open unsecured wifi connection.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 firmware 1.2.8 fast roaming creates an additional open network access point
2019-07-05 02:30:31

I'm having the same problem, after enabling fast roaming (why is this disabled by default in a Mesh router?) I now have open networks as well as secure networks. A bunch of my devices decided to connect to the open network instead. 

Options
Re:Deco M5 firmware 1.2.8 fast roaming creates an additional open network access point
2019-07-05 07:27:15

not good. 

I'm assuming they turn off fast roaming because they are doing something odd with 802.11r (fast roaming) which is not to standard since it has killed half a dozen Ring Doorbells of mine.  I've had to disable fast roaming to be able to use it and no have more bricked devices. 

Pretty disapointed in my purchase of my M5 mesh system to be honest, it doesn't seem that TPLink have much quality control/QA testing procedures.  :( 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 13830

Replies: 17

Related Articles