Guest VLAN Tagging + No AP Isolation?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Guest VLAN Tagging + No AP Isolation?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
38 Reply
VLAN Tagging nonGuest network
2019-08-13 19:34:51

Hi,

Does the M9 support VLAN Tagging on the nonGuest network?

I'm trying to use my Deco m9 to CenturyLink's Fiber by removing their modem, but I need VLAN Tagging turned on first. Do I just go into the VLAN Settings and enable that and give it some random ID? Then contact Centurylink GPON (fiber),  call FTTH support and get my PPoE username and password?

Thanks for your help,

:) John

Options
Re:VLAN Tagging nonGuest network
2019-08-13 20:12:05

JohnBruso wrote

Hi,

Does the M9 support VLAN Tagging on the nonGuest network?

I'm trying to use my Deco m9 to CenturyLink's Fiber by removing their modem, but I need VLAN Tagging turned on first. Do I just go into the VLAN Settings and enable that and give it some random ID? Then contact Centurylink GPON (fiber),  call FTTH support and get my PPoE username and password?

Thanks for your help,

:) John

This probably should be a seperate thread, as it’s a very different problem. :-)

You are talking here about VLAN tagging on the *outside* network not either of the inside ones.   CenturyLink will have a particular VLAN ID you must use.  It must match theirs.  The Deco has a whole load of preconfigured ISPs you can chose from (in settings - advanced - VLAN). After turning VLAN on select VLAN mode and you will get a list of providers.   If CenturyLink is there just select it, otherwise choose custom and enter the ID. 

BTW, I have assumed you are replacing their router, and not actually the modem/ONT.

Options
Re:Re:VLAN Tagging nonGuest network
2019-08-13 20:23:30
Thanks, They have 1 modem / router (also a wireless router) combo thing that I want to replace. Ya, I should have created a new thread. Thanks ajharvey. :) John
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Guest VLAN Tagging + No AP Isolation?
2019-08-13 21:48:09

Thanks for your quick response !

Unfortunately my configuration only works at optimal speeds with the main network at 5Ghz.  I only have the guest network at 2.4Ghz because of the printer and my apple watch (that also only connects with 2.4Ghz).

Having said that, what I really need is to be able to disable AP isolation in ROUTER mode.  Currently, all my devices have trouble seeing devices in the other network, even though all devices share the same router/IP range.

Options
Re:VLAN Tagging nonGuest network
2019-08-15 08:02:04

@JohnBruso 

If the VLAN tag need to be enabled to get internet, you can connect the Deco M9 plus to the existing router first to configure it to get internet as dynamic IP. 

After that, you can enable VLAN and enter the VLAN ID as requested via Deco app, then you can change the network connection type to PPPoE and enter the username and password given by ISP to get internet and replace the old router. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Guest VLAN Tagging + No AP Isolation?
2019-08-15 08:04:49

@JohnnyGoRJ 

The reason why the devices cannot access each other is that the main wifi network and guest network are isolated from each other in router mode. 

And the AP isolation cannot be disabled due to the mesh network. 

Meanwhile, for the devices who support 2.4GHz only, you can disable 5GHz first and connect them to the host 2.4GHz network and the disable the mesh technology for the specific device. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Guest VLAN Tagging + No AP Isolation?
2019-09-23 07:31:05

@Kevin_Z 

I personally require this feature too and was unpleasantly surprised that it was implemented this way. I would have expected it to be done right at this price range (Deco M9 Plus here).

I am not sure how this is currently implemented exactly in AP mode and if IPs assigned to Guest clients are able to access other IP's in the same subnet (connected to the same subnet by wire), but if this is not explicitly denied then there is a good reason to avoid using a Guest network in AP mode altogether. Otherwise guest wireless clients are able to access IP's in the same subnet which are connected via wire.

Hopefully TP-Link will implement this right in a timely manner, otherwise I will have to return the product.

In short: +1 for this feature. ;-)

Options
2019-09-23 10:35:45
We really need that VLAN tagging. Can you please make it happen?
Options
2019-09-24 08:20:40

@MattSBR 

The Deco supports VLAN in router mode only; and the guest network is isolated from home network in router mode as well. 

You can refer to https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2399/ to get the differences between the wireless router and access point mode. 

For the new feature to be added, you can keep an eye on our official website. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-24 10:40:17

@Kevin_Z we all get that, we need VLAN tagging in AP mode so we can create a secure guest network. Not in router mode (we know it's there) I don't want second retour on my network, that to facilitate troubleshooting.

thank you

Options