Guest VLAN Tagging + No AP Isolation?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Guest VLAN Tagging + No AP Isolation?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
38 Reply
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Guest VLAN Tagging + No AP Isolation?
2019-09-24 17:32:54

@MattSBR exactly my point. I also don't want to use the device in router mode, I need it in AP mode too.

@Kevin_Z I just confirmed that the guest network in AP mode provides no isolation to the subnet whatsoever when in AP mode. IMO this is a big security flaw as it allows guests the same access privileges as if they were connected to the regular network. TP-Link should not have provided a Guest mode at all in AP mode like this, or fix this problem. This is a security issue with the device the way it is implemented now. And calling it a feature request is not acknowledging the issue at hand. Please correct me if I'm wrong and tell me what kind of isolation the guest network provides in AP mode, the way it is implemented now.

Options
2019-09-24 20:50:00

@micheloe you are 100% right, no needs to provide a guest network in those condition. 

Options
2019-09-25 07:32:06

@micheloe @MattSBR 

I got your point, and we TP-Link have awared of it already and we got some similar feedback.

There is a plan to add the feature to isolate guest network and host network in AP mode, and I believe that your urgent/sincere requests will push it forward. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-12-10 18:23:38

@Kevin_Z Are there any news about this implementation? I guess there will be more demand of VLAN in AP mode as the IoT security awareness rises. In the end users will choose a system that supports this feature. And using Deco in router mode is not a solution for many people with special demands from their ISPs not viable in Deco.

Options
2019-12-11 02:58:51

@ola_ 

Thanks for your requesting. 

While we are sorry to tell you that there is no update yet. We need get enough feedback to push the product department to evaluate the feasibility and make the RD team work on it afterwards. And it usually takes a long time to release the new firmware based on the firmware devolpment, capacity/performance tests and so on. 

It is very recommended to keep an eye on Deco APP or official website for the updates. 

Thanks for your kindly support in advance. Good day. 

Options
Re:Guest VLAN Tagging + No AP Isolation?
2020-01-10 14:13:41

@troozers  I just received the latest firmware update, which includes VLAN isolation in AP mode, I'm a happy camper now :)

Options
2020-01-10 14:27:27

@BAMS I don't see that firmware  update, i'm on 1.3.0 Build 20190821 Rel. 54023 and no isolation in AP mode.

Options
2020-01-10 17:25:09

@MattSBR The same for me, i'm also on 1.3.0 Build 20190821 Rel. 54023. FWIW, I have V1 hardware. I just saw there's also V2 hardware out already with a different firmware version. Could this be the reason?

Options
2020-01-10 18:49:56

@micheloe very possible, mine is indeed v2 hardware

Options
2020-01-10 18:56:35

@troozers ok hopefuly will be release on V1 soon.

Options
Related Articles