External antenna setup - TL-ANT2415D

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-06-13 21:30:48
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-ANT2403N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

TL-ANT2415D

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?model=TL-ANT2415D

Has anyone successfully connected one of these or similar antenna's and produced an expected range increase?

I have one of these connected using the appropriate cable and pigtail connector to three differnt TP Link wireless access points (N300 & N150) and there has been no noticeable increases in range.

I'm hoping that someone on these forums may have succeeded where I am failing so any assitance or advice on the equipment you have used would be appreciated.

Thanks Andy
Options
2 Reply
Re:External antenna setup - TL-ANT2415D
2013-06-15 15:17:49
i have been told that external antenna only increases signal strength and not the range, for range you have to increase the antenna transmit output power too....
Options
Re:External antenna setup - TL-ANT2415D
2013-12-11 14:24:24
Antenna is a passive device so itself doesn't generate any power. What antennas do is radiating the power (feed from the AP) with specific pattern.

Well, roughly speaking, we can imagine radio coverage is like a constant volumetric balloon. The more power input, the bigger the balloon.

However, with the same input power, high gain antenna cannot make the balloon bigger. Instead, it concentrate the input power in special area and change the balloon's shape.

TL-ANT2415D is 15dbi omni antenna. It concentrate the radio wave at in horizontal direction. So the wireless coverage can reach farther horizontally while become weaker in vertical direction.

That's saying if you are planning to extend the wifi signal to your room upstairs, TL-ANT2415D is not suitable. Antenna has little help on penetrating walls too.

Also, if your AP has 3 antennas, replacing only one with the TL-ANT2415D won't achieve good result.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2386

Replies: 2

Related Articles