Virgin Media Hub 3.0 not sending a 5GHz signal to TP Link Range Extender (RE305)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Virgin Media Hub 3.0 not sending a 5GHz signal to TP Link Range Extender (RE305)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-10 10:12:43
Model: RE305  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1

So I bought a TP Link RE305 range extender to boost the Wi-Fi signal from a Virgin Media Hub 3.0 around my apartment.

The 2.4GHz channel links up perfectly and I can get the signal around the place, but strangely, the 5GHz doesn't seem to be getting sent to the range extender (or is being blocked(?)).

I can get a 5GHz wireless connection when I connect directly to the router with my MacBook, so it's definitely working. I've tripled checked all the names and passwords, so I don't think it's that. Any ideas?

EDIT: I should also mention that I've factory reset my router and ranger extender a few times over the course of the past 24 hours trying to get this resolved.

Options
21 Reply
Re:Virgin Media Hub 3.0 not sending a 5GHz signal to TP Link Range Extender (RE305)
2019-06-10 11:35:28

I've got exactly the same issue. Virgin Media Hub 3.0 firmware 4.01 and an RE305. 5GHz just won't connect. The RE305 can see the 5GHz network in the scanner but it won't connect to it.

Have tried specific and different channels and modes. None of them work.

So you're not alone on this one.

Options
Re:Re:Virgin Media Hub 3.0 not sending a 5GHz signal to TP Link Range Extender (RE305)
2019-06-10 11:38:06
Oh wow! It's so niche and I really thought I was the only one. I even started a thread on Virgin: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Virgin-Media-Hub-3-0-not-sending-a-5GHz-signal-to-TP-Link-Range/td-p/4003389 I was considering going with a NetGear extender instead. Have you had any resolutions?
Options
Re:Re:Re:Virgin Media Hub 3.0 not sending a 5GHz signal to TP Link Range Extender (RE305)
2019-06-10 12:21:00

Nope, I'm afraid not. Have exhausted my options to get this to work. I don't think it will given the virgin media hub doesn't let you access any real settings.

Most likely would require a fix at either the TP-Link side or the Virgin media. Neither would be likely to be a quick turnaround.

Sorry I can't be of any help but I've run out of the time to get this setup as I'm flying out this afternoon. So looks like this is extender is going back.

Options
Re:Re:Virgin Media Hub 3.0 not sending a 5GHz signal to TP Link Range Extender (RE305)
2019-06-11 07:39:16

Hi,

What is the firmware of the RE305?

What channels you have tried now? It is recommended to change channel to 36 of the main router's 5GHz to give it a go.

Any updates, please let us know.

Good day. 

BravoJuliet wrote

I've got exactly the same issue. Virgin Media Hub 3.0 firmware 4.01 and an RE305. 5GHz just won't connect. The RE305 can see the 5GHz network in the scanner but it won't connect to it.

Have tried specific and different channels and modes. None of them work.

So you're not alone on this one.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Virgin Media Hub 3.0 not sending a 5GHz signal to TP Link Range Extender (RE305)
2019-06-11 07:42:03

Hi Andy,

What is the current hardware and firmware version of the RE305?

Can it detect the 5GHz of the main router when you run the quick setup?

Similarly, it is recommended to change channel to 36 of the main router's 5GHz and give it a go.

Any updates, please let us know. 

Good day. 

AndyBkly wrote

Oh wow! It's so niche and I really thought I was the only one. I even started a thread on Virgin: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Virgin-Media-Hub-3-0-not-sending-a-5GHz-signal-to-TP-Link-Range/td-p/4003389 I was considering going with a NetGear extender instead. Have you had any resolutions?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Virgin Media Hub 3.0 not sending a 5GHz signal to TP Link Range Extender (RE305)
2019-06-11 07:53:01

Hi Kevin,

It can detect the 5GHz band from my router. I think I tried setting the 5GHz band on my router to 36 already, but it didn't solve the problem. I also updated the firmware with the more recent version on the website for the RE305 model.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Virgin Media Hub 3.0 not sending a 5GHz signal to TP Link Range Extender (RE305)
2019-06-11 08:10:09

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your valued reply, to do further analysis, could you please provide the current hardware and firmware version of the RE305?

And the model numebr of the virgin media hub?

Thanks a lot. 

Options
2019-06-11 09:00:53 - last edited 2019-06-11 09:01:39

Hi Kevin, for me, I had the same issue.

The RE305 was the latest firmware as available on the TPLink website. RE305(UK)_V1_181026. I did update this anyway just to make sure it was the latest one.

The Virgin Media Hub is a VMDG500 / CH7465LG-VM made by Compal. With firmware version 4.0.1.

The TPLink can see the 5GHz network in the quick start scanner. Then you select it and enter the password. All seems fine but the unit just will not connect. This is also reflected by the 5GHz light not being lit.

I personally tried numerous combinations of the channel, the 5GHz mode and the frequency. None of which worked. I did also read about how the TPLink uses virtual MAC addresses for clients when connecting to the host network. Because it does this I was unable to match up the MAC of the actual wifi nic in the TPLink and the MAC address as given the DHCP address on the router. Possibly an issue relating to this but that is speculation.

I made sure the MAC address filtering was disabled on the VMHub just in case but as expected this didn't seem to make any difference. As we weren't actually using MAC filtering.

The logs on the VMHub show nothing regarding issues on the wireless (or anywhere else) so that was a dead end. A little difficult as the VMHub has quite a restricted web 'admin' page.

Options
Re:Virgin Media Hub 3.0 not sending a 5GHz signal to TP Link Range Extender (RE305)
2019-06-11 10:20:56

Hi, thanks for your valued reply, our engineer is working on it, any updates, I will let you know.

Have a nice day. 

Options
2019-06-13 10:38:43

Hi! Yesterday I bought the RE-200 and I have the same problem, on top of that I can not change the modem / router channel. I already spoke with my ISP and they have everything well configured, in fact I can use the 5.8 signal on all my computers.
Do I have to return the RE-200?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 16614

Replies: 21