How to prevent bypassing parental control - change request

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-11 09:54:10
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I used the parental control to restrict the time my son is using the internet for gaming.

In the beginning that worked well, but then he started to use free VPN's to bypass the parental control.

So I started to block these VPN's, and soon I reached some limits related to max blocked sites.

Then he started with something new, he installed a tool to change his MAC address.

By default the DECO accepts every device when you connect via a LAN cable or as long as you have an user name / password.

So by using a new MAC address he started to bypass every restriction.

Then I started to black list all these "new" devices.

Then he just retrieved the MAC address of my wife etc. and changed his MAC address to that one.

I have given up. Internet is fully open without any restriction.

Instead we talk... or switch off the internet by disconnecting the main internet cable.

Change request:

Option that devices can only connect to the main network via the LAN cable if the MAC address is whitelisted

Option that devices can only connect to the main network via the WIFI if the MAC address is whitelisted (and they know the WIFI password)

Devices can still connect to the guest network if they know the WIFI password (so no change)

By whitelisting the MAC addresses we can prevent that everyone can just connect to the main network with "new" devices. We can enable the guest network only when there are guests. This change partly prevents bypassing parental control by changing the MAC address, as they can still change it to your MAC addresss...

Options
4 Reply
Re:How to prevent bypassing parental control - change request
2019-06-12 00:57:47

Hi,

I got your point, while there is no whitelist rule available for Deco now, instead, we can add device into blacklist only.

While, we will forward this request to our R&D team and then they can work on it.

You can keep an eye on our official website for more updates. 

Good day. 

Options
2021-09-22 21:22:57
Hi I have the same problem, my kids manage to bypass deco rules by changing MAC address, actually both Windows 10 & iPhone have this ability to change MAC address (for security reasons), so since Deco filters based on MAC then we cannot apply restrictions. The post dated in 2019 and seem no solution so far. Please advise, Thank you
Options
2021-12-01 00:54:42

@jjundi I am in the same boat waiting for a fix too. I hope this get resolved soon. .  

Options
2022-01-26 18:05:46 - last edited 2022-01-26 18:49:17

@Remmerswaal 

Found a solution for the parents out there. 

I was messing with OpenDNS, but got tired of the main network IP changing anytime the network was rebooted. 

So, do this, have the kids on a seperate,hardwired router connected one of the Decos, completely seperate Wifi. I personally have a 5+ year old Netgear connected. Then just have a parental control on that router from the Deco. They can change the MAC 1000x times, it won't matter as the controls are on that router and all the traffic that comes from it.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 4680

Replies: 4