Deco M5 guest wifi isolation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-12 09:05:44 - last edited 2019-11-12 01:43:47
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: v1.2.8

I finished setting up 3 x Deco M5 yesterday in AP mode because I have an existing wired network with some devices occupying a fixed IP address via my modem routers DHCP.

Wi-fi performance and coverage is fantastic and better than the wired speeds I was getting from ethernet over home power circuit devices.

I created a main and guest wifi using the same SSIDs and passwords as I had before so all existing devices I have tested so far connect without any changes.

This seems to be the only advantage of having a guest wifi feature on the Deco M5. There is no option to isolate the guest wifi to internet access only - which is the whole point of having a guest wifi. In my opinion the Deco M5 is not a feature complete product until a firmware upgrade can address this issue.

Is it on the M5 development road map?

I would have chosen a different product had I know. I assumed a guest wifi feature would work like this.

Anything on my wired network requires authentication to connect but I would much prefer to have the extra assurance of isolating the guest wifi.

I don't want to use the M5 in router mode as there are too many settings on my existing router to replicate and the M5 can't do them all anyway. The Deco M5s run my whole wifi network now. Wifi is disable on the existing devices.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 guest wifi isolation-Solution
2020-01-12 18:14:30 - last edited 2020-01-13 09:20:43

@Kevin_Z , in the whats new notes of 1.4.0 for M5 tplink says:

2: added isolation switch for the main network and guest network in access point mode

Can You elaborate on this?

Recommended Solution
Options
35 Reply
Re:Deco M5 guest wifi isolation
2019-06-13 01:17:36

Hi,

For your information, there is no option to isolate guest network from host wifi yet in AP mode, while there is a plan to add this feature into Deco in the near future. 

Note: The guest network and host wifi are isolated when Deco works in router mode. 

So change the operation mode of the Deco to router mode is a workaroud, you can give it a go. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
2019-06-13 07:23:08

Thanks. I look forward to a future firmware update. I will check out router mode more but the other impact of this is I will have to plug in an extra 4 port hub needing another power socket because my original router has 4 ports all in use.

Adian

Options
Re:Re:Deco M5 guest wifi isolation
2019-06-17 01:09:01

Hi Adian,

Thanks for your reply; 

If need more help, do not hesitate to contact us.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused here.

Have a nice day. 

Options
2019-11-11 15:13:50

@Kevin_Z is there any news when this isolation feature will be released please?

Kevin_Z wrote

Hi,

For your information, there is no option to isolate guest network from host wifi yet in AP mode, while there is a plan to add this feature into Deco in the near future. 

Note: The guest network and host wifi are isolated when Deco works in router mode. 

So change the operation mode of the Deco to router mode is a workaroud, you can give it a go. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
2019-11-11 17:09:32
I was setting up another MESH wifi product for a relative recently and it had the same issue. The system has to be in router mode for guest network to be isolated. In the end guest network isolation could be a function of a router that you just cannot have if you only use AP mode, but it will be interesting to see if anyone can solve it for AP mode.
Options
2019-11-12 01:41:03 - last edited 2022-06-09 01:30:11

@AdrianHi @PhilGVIT 

Thanks for your requesting.

As you know, the guest network is isolated from host network when Deco works in router mode; for AP mode, it is planned  to add this feature in the next firmware. 

While it always takes a long time to release a firmware, cause we need upload other improvements/new features together and test their performance. 

It is strongly recommended to keep an eye on official website to get the updates. 

Options
Re:Deco M5 guest wifi isolation-Solution
2020-01-12 18:14:30 - last edited 2020-01-13 09:20:43

@Kevin_Z , in the whats new notes of 1.4.0 for M5 tplink says:

2: added isolation switch for the main network and guest network in access point mode

Can You elaborate on this?

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-01-13 09:20:33 - last edited 2020-01-13 09:30:28

I did a quick test of the new 1.4 firmware release. I found that in AP mode when connected to the guest network the printer and some files shares on the main network are no longer accessible. Looks good to me 

Thanks for adding this isolation feature.

I just edited my Amazon review to explain this and upgraded the star rating from 4 to 5 stars.

Options
2020-01-20 01:42:05

I recently purchased the m5 and the guest network isolation is working for me in Access Point mode.  

one caveat, make sure that the only device connected to your main router is the m5.  If you have anything else on the main router the guest network will be able to see it.  So connect all your devices to the m5s and you're good to go. 

I am quite pleased with this solution overall!

Options
2020-01-20 10:33:10

@Rob_A 

Interesting as I have a NAS connected directly to my main modem router via LAN cable (so not connected to the Deco M5)  and when I connect my laptop to the guest wi-fi network the NAS is no longer accessible. Wi-fi is disabled on the main router so all wi-fi is from the Decom M5 devices.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 26016

Replies: 35

Related Articles