M5 Wifi disconnects (especially phones and tablets) regularly throughout the day

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

M5 Wifi disconnects (especially phones and tablets) regularly throughout the day

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-13 12:38:37 - last edited 2019-06-13 15:40:36
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.8 Build 20190403 Rel. 40244

Hardware version EU2.2. Firmware 1.2.8 Build 20190403 Rel. 40244.

A few days ago I purchased and installed an M5 mesh network at home (3 devices). I already have a TP Link C7 router which I wish to continue to use.

Per the instructions, I disabled the wifi on the C7 router and installed the M5 devices in Access Point mode. One device (the main device) is connected to my router by ethernet. The other two are distributed around the home. There are no other Wifi networks in the home.

The network works fine 70% of the time, giving excellent download speeds all around the home.

However, every so often our cellphones (both android and apple) and tablets (ipads) have difficulty with their wifi connections. In particular, my android phone seems to lose internet access and then loses wifi connection with authentication errors ("unable to authenticate" and sometimes "unable to obtain IP address"). Similarly, iphones and/or ipads lose connectivity regularly - even when they are not moving around the home.

All phones are setup to access the ssid with the correct password and all devices connect succesfully most of the time.

I tried a few things to resolve: I switched "fast roaming" on and off and the issue occurs in both situations. I tried with and without a guest network. I reset the router and M5 devices. I even reset the M5 devices (using a paperclip) and reinstalled from scratch to no avail.

Any advice? With the regularity of the lost wifi on cellphones the network is becoming unusable and certainly very unreliable. Previously I used TP Link EAC115 access points with none of these problems.

Options
11 Reply
Re:M5 Wifi disconnects (especially phones and tablets) regularly throughout the day
2019-06-17 01:52:11

Hi,

Have you ever tried to configure Deco M5 as main router, and connect it to the internet source directly? For the Archer C7, you can configure it as an access point and connect it to the Deco by wired cable, in this way, you can use some advanced features of the Deco M5, like parental control. 

Note: How to configure C7 as an access point: https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-c7/#video

Besides, there is a new firmware for the Deco M5, which I emailed you; you can check your inbox and then give it a shot.

After that, please take some time to test the connection, any updates, just let us know.

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:M5 Wifi disconnects (especially phones and tablets) regularly throughout the day
2019-06-18 11:39:40

Hello, I do have the same issue. My setup is in router mode , same firmware version and product is 1 week old (3 decos). At 1st I thought authentication errors were due to Samsung wifi issues but also started noticing issues with devices connecting to the ssid but with no access to internet while others are fine. I'm basically restarting the main deco almost daily

Options
Re:Re:Re:M5 Wifi disconnects (especially phones and tablets) regularly throughout the day
2019-06-18 14:16:46

I contacted TP Link support from this page and they provided an updated firmware that resolves this issue. I'm not sure why that firmware is not rolled-out more generally...

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:M5 Wifi disconnects (especially phones and tablets) regularly throughout the day
2019-06-18 17:41:59

And what is your version ? 1.3.0 Build 20190529 36613 ?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:M5 Wifi disconnects (especially phones and tablets) regularly throughout the day
2019-06-18 18:48:37

Actually not. I'm on Version 1.2.8 Build 7ffe20190514 Rel. 47098611429776...!

Whatever.. it works!

Options
Re:Re:Re:M5 Wifi disconnects (especially phones and tablets) regularly throughout the day
2019-06-19 02:08:51

Hi Jars,

Please email our tech support to get another firmware to have a try.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/contact-technical-support/#E-mail-Support

Please attach the community thread link as well. 

Good day.

Jars wrote

Hello, I do have the same issue. My setup is in router mode , same firmware version and product is 1 week old (3 decos). At 1st I thought authentication errors were due to Samsung wifi issues but also started noticing issues with devices connecting to the ssid but with no access to internet while others are fine. I'm basically restarting the main deco almost daily

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:M5 Wifi disconnects (especially phones and tablets) regularly throughout the day
2019-06-19 02:09:50

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, glad to hear that it was resolved finally. 

You can take more time to test its performance; if need more help, just feel free to contact us.

Have a nice day.

Options
Re:M5 Wifi disconnects (especially phones and tablets) regularly throughout the day
2019-06-21 19:08:44

Same issue here. I have thisrouter for almost a year now and Wifi problems start showing up about 1 month or so ago. 

Here is my setup:(Router mode)

Modem Wired to--> Main Deco Wirelessly --> 2nd Deco Wirelessly --> 3rd Deco

I have roughly 25+ devices connected to the network, and Wifi disconnects mainly on 2 devices: iPhone XS Max & Samsung S10. 

Issues experienced so far:

- Can't connect to Wifi after coming home;

- Wifi disconnects while at home;

- Wifi cut on/ off while at home;

- incorrect wifi password after trying to forget network (even i know i entered it right)

Rebooting the Deco seems to resolve the above issues temporaily. But same issues would happen again almost on a daily now it gets very annoying. 

Interestingly, the issue seems to be happening MOSTLY to these 2 devices that would actually leave and re-enter the network. 

I've already tried:

- Reserve IP address to these 2 devices;

- Reset both iPhone and Samsung's network settings;

- Reset the entire Deco network (remove all 3 deco from network, factory reset);

- Installed most updated firmware. (currently is 1.2.8 Build 20190403 Rel. 40244)

It's getting very frustrating, and I'm almost tempted to give this up and get another brand. 

From what I read seems like I'm not the only one. 

And looks like there is a newer firmware that is avaialble only if we email support. 

I just emailed them so I'm hoping I will get a reply soon. 

Options
Re:Re:M5 Wifi disconnects (especially phones and tablets) regularly throughout the day
2019-06-23 04:47:00

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, I found that our agent has replied to you.

You can check your inbox and install the firmware to give it a shot. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Long515 wrote

Same issue here. I have thisrouter for almost a year now and Wifi problems start showing up about 1 month or so ago. 

Here is my setup:(Router mode)

Modem Wired to--> Main Deco Wirelessly --> 2nd Deco Wirelessly --> 3rd Deco

I have roughly 25+ devices connected to the network, and Wifi disconnects mainly on 2 devices: iPhone XS Max & Samsung S10. 

Issues experienced so far:

- Can't connect to Wifi after coming home;

- Wifi disconnects while at home;

- Wifi cut on/ off while at home;

- incorrect wifi password after trying to forget network (even i know i entered it right)

Rebooting the Deco seems to resolve the above issues temporaily. But same issues would happen again almost on a daily now it gets very annoying. 

Interestingly, the issue seems to be happening MOSTLY to these 2 devices that would actually leave and re-enter the network. 

I've already tried:

- Reserve IP address to these 2 devices;

- Reset both iPhone and Samsung's network settings;

- Reset the entire Deco network (remove all 3 deco from network, factory reset);

- Installed most updated firmware. (currently is 1.2.8 Build 20190403 Rel. 40244)

It's getting very frustrating, and I'm almost tempted to give this up and get another brand. 

From what I read seems like I'm not the only one. 

And looks like there is a newer firmware that is avaialble only if we email support. 

I just emailed them so I'm hoping I will get a reply soon. 

Options
2020-08-11 12:59:21
Hi, can i please also get the firmware, same issues with my Deco 5? I have 1.4.4 Build 20200221 Rel. 65392 now.
Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 3638

Replies: 11