Deco M9: mixing ethernet and wi-fi backhaul possible?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-26 08:44:18 - last edited 2019-06-26 16:41:33
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.8

Hi

looking for confirmation about ethernet backhaul found this https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/

Great! but something in the article made me unsure, so...

Plan is to use three M9s: 

- main Deco (the one connected to ISP's router) will connect via ethernet to the second one

- second and third Decos can only be connected wirelessly

(each Deco is on a different floor so third one is two floors away from main Deco)

will this work? :-/

thanks

Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco M9: mixing ethernet and wi-fi backhaul possible?
2019-06-26 18:33:15

pl_svn wrote

Hi

looking for confirmation about ethernet backhaul found this https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/

Great! but something in the article made me unsure, so...

Plan is to use three M9s: 

- main Deco (the one connected to ISP's router) will connect via ethernet to the second one

- second and third Decos can only be connected wirelessly

(each Deco is on a different floor so third one is two floors away from main Deco)

will this work? :-/

thanks

Yes, i use in this mode with 4 decos at my network.

Main Deco on ISP router, backhaul ethernet with deco 2. Deco 3 and 4 via Wifi Backhaul. Work's perfect with one advantage i have 2 points with full GigE connection and Decos 3/4 change if need alone.

Options
2019-06-27 01:43:23

Hi,

It will work, the Deco units can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless. Both okay.

Except the ethernet backhaul, the Deco still supports wifi backhaul. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Deco M9: mixing ethernet and wi-fi backhaul possible?
2019-06-27 06:41:19 - last edited 2019-06-27 06:42:14

ok, what made me think it wouldn't work is: 

"Note: The Wi-Fi backhaul and Ethernet backhaul won’t work at the same time. When two Deco units are connected via an Ethernet cable, the Ethernet backhaul will take effect and Wi-Fi backhaul will be disconnected." (from https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/)

so (sorry for asking once more)... as in my setup Deco unit 2 will be connected both wired (to Deco unit 1) and wireless (to Deco unit 3)... the above two caveats just mean my Deco unit 2 can establish a backhaul connection to unit 1 via ethernet only but still can establish a wireless backhaul connection to unit 3, right?

if so.... maybe some rewording, there, would help ;)

thank you Kevin and leo :)

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M9: mixing ethernet and wi-fi backhaul possible?
2019-06-27 11:22:49

pl_svn wrote

ok, what made me think it wouldn't work is: 

"Note: The Wi-Fi backhaul and Ethernet backhaul won’t work at the same time. When two Deco units are connected via an Ethernet cable, the Ethernet backhaul will take effect and Wi-Fi backhaul will be disconnected." (from https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/)

so (sorry for asking once more)... as in my setup Deco unit 2 will be connected both wired (to Deco unit 1) and wireless (to Deco unit 3)... the above two caveats just mean my Deco unit 2 can establish a backhaul connection to unit 1 via ethernet only but still can establish a wireless backhaul connection to unit 3, right?

if so.... maybe some rewording, there, would help ;)

thank you Kevin and leo :)

Yes, [d1] --- Ether --- [d2] --- Wifi --- [d3] D3 can connect d1 or d2.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M9: mixing ethernet and wi-fi backhaul possible?
2019-06-27 12:08:30

ok, thank you leo :)

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M9: mixing ethernet and wi-fi backhaul possible?
2019-06-28 01:20:36

Yes, like Leo said, they still can build a mesh network and use the ethernet/wifi backhaul.

Meanwhile, the sentence which makes you confused can be said that the ethernet backhaul has higher priority than the wifi backhaul , with 2 Decos connect to each other, the ethernet backhaul shall prevail. As you know, the ethernet connection is more stable than wifi connection. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-07-09 00:00:24

Hello!

I just got the pack of 3 M5. I have read a bunch of posts here in the communty and I wanted to make sure the setup I have shown below will work.

I do not have much knowledge of networking, so I am assuming this is okay to do. My biggest concern would be using ethernet backhaul to 1 Deco 2, but the 3rd would be on wireless. Would this actually work? Also, reading other posts, I saw something about changing to AP mode? Would this require that change?

Last question, I promise. Is the Deco 1 and the switch in the right order, or does the switch need to come first? Or does that matter?

Options
Re:Re:Deco M9: mixing ethernet and wi-fi backhaul possible?
2019-07-09 05:31:57

@RhinoGut 

The current network topology is Okay, we need connect the Deco 1 to the ISP modem and configure it as the router mode, the Deco 2 and Deco 3 we can connect them to main Deco via ethernet cable or wireless both; 

For the access point mode, if you configure the main Deco as wireless router, you do not have to change the other 2 slave Decos manually;

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 10174

Replies: 8