Ring Doorbell 2 and TP LInk DECO M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-30 16:11:01 - last edited 2021-01-27 01:04:11
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 BUILD 20181203 REF 38849

Hi

Installed 3 Node M4 Last week and everything went well.

I have lots of Smart Home Devices and they all benefitted by getting stronger wifi etc.

Apart from my Ring Video Doorbell 2.

I have approx 10 Ring Devices and every single one of them work great with the new Mesh system........apart from RVD 2 on my Front Door.

My Main Router/DEco is approx 20 feet away from my Front Door - yet the RVD2 struggles to get any sort of stable connection from it - RSSI is showing as -79 and "poor"

So I purchased a DECO 2 Pack E4 to put a Deco Node Right next to the doorbell - and whilst this gives a slight improvement (rssi - 64) - it's still sporadic on whether it works or not.

I put my NETGEAR R8000 back into play and low and behold it works just fine with an RSSI of -42 - but all my other devices suffer.

I contacted RING who said they know of a conflict between TP LINK DECO Mesh Systems and their Ring 2 Doorbells (I found a Reddit thread after they mentioned this) - they advised me to change the channel that my DECO system is transmitting on - but I am unsure of how to do this.

I have created a Guest Network just for the Ring Doorbells (devices) to use and they have said to make sure that this is 2.4ghz Only - again I am unsure of how to do that.

They told me to switch fast roaming off too - but I don't have it on.

Apparently the deco seems to be "bricking" some ring devices #bizarre - I can't link to the thread here but if you google Ring Video Doorbell 2 TP Link Deco Ring Forums it appears.

Can you help me ? 

Dave

Options
11 Reply
Re:Ring Doorbell 2 and TP LInk DECO M4
2019-07-02 07:19:37

Can anybody advise how I change the wireless channel on my M4 system please ?

Also how do I make the Guest Network 2.4ghz only.

Have I done the correct thing by adding an E4 system as extra Nodes - or will that degrade my system ? The M4 is still the main router/node coming from the ISP Modem.

Dave

Options
2019-07-02 07:36:31

Hi,

Sorry to tell you that there is no option to isolate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz, or change the channel manually via the Deco app yet. While there is a plan to add in the next firmware. 

And there is no separate 2.4GHz guest network. 

Back to your case, we have not received feedback regarding to the conflict between the Deco mesh system and the Ring video doorbell; and cause the other 9 work properly except the Front door one, the Deco should be working fine, the troubleshooting can be done on this unit. 

You can exchange the positions between the front door unit and others to do a test. 

Besides, we tried to search online but failed to get it, all the info we have is to change the channel and fix the network per you said; you can upload the link you saw. You can paste the url when you reply to us.

Nice day. 

whiteswan wrote

I have approx 10 Ring Devices and every single one of them work great with the new Mesh system........apart from RVD 2 on my Front Door.

My Main Router/DEco is approx 20 feet away from my Front Door - yet the RVD2 struggles to get any sort of stable connection from it - RSSI is showing as -79 and "poor"

So I purchased a DECO 2 Pack E4 to put a Deco Node Right next to the doorbell - and whilst this gives a slight improvement (rssi - 64) - it's still sporadic on whether it works or not.

I put my NETGEAR R8000 back into play and low and behold it works just fine with an RSSI of -42 - but all my other devices suffer.

I contacted RING who said they know of a conflict between TP LINK DECO Mesh Systems and their Ring 2 Doorbells (I found a Reddit thread after they mentioned this) - they advised me to change the channel that my DECO system is transmitting on - but I am unsure of how to do this.

I have created a Guest Network just for the Ring Doorbells (devices) to use and they have said to make sure that this is 2.4ghz Only - again I am unsure of how to do that.

They told me to switch fast roaming off too - but I don't have it on.

Apparently the deco seems to be "bricking" some ring devices #bizarre - I can't link to the thread here but if you google Ring Video Doorbell 2 TP Link Deco Ring Forums it appears.

Can you help me ? 

Dave

Options
Re:Re:Ring Doorbell 2 and TP LInk DECO M4
2019-07-02 11:24:35

Hi

Not too sure I understand your reply :-)

The conflict between RVD2 and the TPLINK DECO is discussed on the TP LINK Forums, The RING Forums and also on Reddit.

I can't seem to paste a link here for some reason - but a quick google search brings them all up.

I am returning the M4/E4 and have some M5 on their way to me via Prime Now this afternoon - am I correct in thinking I CAN change the wireless channel on those ?

Dave

Options
Re:Re:Re:Ring Doorbell 2 and TP LInk DECO M4
2019-07-02 15:55:20

Hi

M5 system delivered an hour ago..................exactly the same problems.

How do I change the wireless channels on this one ?

Dave

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Ring Doorbell 2 and TP LInk DECO M4
2019-07-02 23:39:15 - last edited 2019-07-02 23:40:23

I am one of the ones quite vocal about this issue on reddit.

It is an issue with fast roaming and is confirmed by ring themselves and having spoke to one of the wireless engineers there it is related to some strange way that tplink implement 802.11r .

I've had about 6 ring 2 devices since buying a M5 setup and turning fast roaming, whilst not ideal, has worked and, touch wood, has not bricked a device in the last month or so.

Ring say they are releasing a firmware to resolve this.

Not heard of anything relating to channels mentioned before , nor has ring mentioned it to me.  M5 doesn't even have the options to change channels.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Ring Doorbell 2 and TP LInk DECO M4
2019-07-03 01:08:15

Hi,

There is no option to adjust wireless channel on Deco M5 either, while this feature is planned to add in the next firmware. 

Meanwhile about few months ago, we do have some cases between the RVD and Deco, which is that the RVD got bricked or so, while we locate that the root cause is the RVD itself, per thefunkygibbon said, the Ring will release a firmware to solve it, you can wait for their updates.

Meanwhile, the M5 has the separate 2.4GHz guest network, you can enable it and connect the RVD to it to test the performance. 

Nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Ring Doorbell 2 and TP LInk DECO M4
2019-07-03 03:23:56

Hi

Thank you for the reply.

Ok - after a LOT of trial and error and reading I have managed to get the RVD2 working..........

With the M5 you can set a Guest Network AND you can make it 2.4ghz ONLY (You can't do this with the M4) - I did this and ONLY used this Guest network for the Ring Devices - it seems to work.

Also the M5 has 4 antennaes in each node - compared to the M4's 2 antennaes - this helps the RVD2 lock on to a stronger signal and also hold on to it.

I am returning the M4's and E4's - thank god for Amazons great return policy.

Only time will tell if this turns out to be a long term solution.

BTW Fast Roaming was always OFF - I never enabled it at all.

Dave

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Ring Doorbell 2 and TP LInk DECO M4
2019-07-04 06:07:23

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. 

For the Deco series product, there is a plan to add the channel option in the near future. 

So first, you can use the RVD2 with the 2.4GHz guest network as a workaround for now, and then once the new firmware released, you can install it and fix the channel for 2.4GHz and  test the performance of the RVD2. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-11-15 03:31:45

I just installed Deco TP Mesh WiFi 6  - latest and greatest in this price range. The purpose was to improve my front door connection with Ring. Even with one of the 3 pods - 5 feet away with the front door and with the door open - line of sight - no interference..no walls .... nothing but air... still have  poor connection. It was better with the old AT&T modem that came with the internet service. I was told by Ring go get a mesh... well, I did and things have gotten worse... it is really stupid that I can't get a simple device like Ring to respond to this new software.......this may be Ring's problem... but the signal strength of this mesh system is questionable. i don't know if this "pod" is doing anything.. the green light is on... but Ring is stuck in the suck mode... when a move it closer - the signal Rings shows as a percentage - stays the same. 

Options
2020-11-15 10:12:19

@Rethgit 

Ring is just crud I think.  They eventually sorted out the bricking with tplink thing and that is fine, but connectivity has always been poor despite being not far from the WiFi mesh node.  Even recently replaced with ring doorbell 3 as connection was so bad and always disconnected.   That was fine for a short while but now it's telling me the connection is poor.  Despite nothing changing .

Regret buying both tplink and ring tbh. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 11835

Replies: 11