Expanding with Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Expanding with Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Expanding with Deco
Expanding with Deco
2019-07-01 12:53:06
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello community,

For many years now I've been struggling to get home wide WiFi coverage. This due to repeaters and range extenders just not giving enough coverage or wifi 'power' to give a solid stable signal. With mesh-wifi I should have found the solution but before comitting to a purchase I need to crack the last few points which basically comes down to; to what extend do I have to overhaul my current network?

My network situation is as followed:

I have the default modem+router from my ISP (Ziggo, the Netherlands) I do not use the WiFi on it but it's also not disabled. All the modem does give me access to the internet and passing it on to my router on the second floor by CAT5e. The router handles all my DHCP and WiFi. The router has 3 PCs, Rasberry Pi (functioning as NAS and simple web server) and a game console wired to it, going wireless on those is out of the question. The WiFi on the second floor is solid from the router, it just doesn't pass through to the attic or downstairs. This is due to a lot of steel inside the concrete as well as wireless intereance from neighbours (their own WiFi networks, baby monitors, IoT/Home Automation)

My worries:

Will I be able to add the Deco system onto my current router and connect over it's WiFi onto the network that's already there? E.g. will I still be able to connect to my PCs and my RasberryNAS from the wireless devices that hook onto the Deco system? We own various smartphones and tablets, as well as a laptop. When family is visiting an addition 10-20 smartphones and/or tablets come onto the WiFi.

If I cannot add the Deco onto my system, then what are my options? My current router is not a €300 piece of tech but does a solid job on what I bought it for: routing the network traffic. I don't really wanna blow out a couple hunderd euro on totally revamping my network situation either. And using the modem+router from the ISP as a primairy router is also not an option due to not being able to re-run all wires (just over hunderd meters of CAT5e/6) in the house to reach the living room.

I hope I can have some clearance in my quest to solving our WiFi issues and giving everybody a solid WiFi experience.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Expanding with Deco
2019-07-02 01:11:31

Hey, do you wanna swap ISP modem/routers and replace it with the Deco, or you just expect to add the Deco into the existing network to extend the wifi range? 

In my opinion, you can use the ISP modem/routers, and add the Deco into the current network; first, you do not have to re-run all the configurations, you only need configure the Deco which is easy; second, to connect to your PCs and your RasberryNAS from the wireless devices that hook onto the Deco system, considering the Double NAT issue, you can configure the Deco as access point, the mesh wifi system still works, while all the devices connected to internet will be able to access each other. 

Options
Re:Re:Expanding with Deco
2019-07-02 09:05:31

I am not allowed to replace the ISP router.

I want to add the Deco to the network as being the thing that controls/extends my range from the current router/setup but also not sure how the Deco would interact and make sure my WiFi speed is stable when connecting to the current router/wifi which is just wifi-N standard.

Throught the years getting stable WiFi always been an issue in the house, due to all the steel in the construction of the house that blocks/interferes the WiFi. With the wired network running without hick-ups, low latency/low ping for online gaming etc. I don't really wanna cripple that in favour for WiFi. The PC's and game console that are wired have a higher priority over being able to stream YouTube/Netflix on tablet.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Expanding with Deco
2019-07-03 01:34:51

With the ISP router existed, first you can add the Deco units and configure them as access point to extend the wifi range. 

And the main Deco need connect to the ISP router by wired cable, and other slave deco can connect to the main one by cable or by wifi. Like you said, all the steel in the construction of the house will affect the performance of the wireless network; 

Or if the whole house is running under the same power circuit, you can consider to buy powerline adapters with wifi function to extend the wifi range cause they communicate with each other via power line. 

https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/powerline/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 687

Replies: 3

Related Articles