First experience with Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-02 16:06:50 - last edited 2019-07-04 01:17:45
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.8 Build 20190403 Rel. 40244

Hello everyone.

Recently got 3 pack of Deco M5 (9 devices overall). Everything seems working fine and I have a few questions and a feedback.

1) Official documents says it can connect up to 10 Decos on one network. Is there any reasons, why it was limited to 10 ?

2) I read in next update version3 there will be added website configurations. Really looking for it. I hope there will be option, where we can change settings like :

Use only ac mode
Use only 80mhz

Use only channel 36
and so on…

3) In OneMesh you mentioned, that lots of routers will be able to join to mesh system, after update (coming soon).
My Router Archon C6 also will have this feature in future, and I wonder can I add him to our network system, that currently have 9 devices of Deco M5 ?
(like below)

https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/?utm_source=banner&utm_medium=local&utm_campaign=all

4) I really hope, you’ll add “auto shutdown” feature in near future. Sometimes, when nobody home, we don’t need Decos to be online. By turning them off, we can save energy and also Deco will have some rest (currently Decos working 24/7).

That would be great, if we could turn them off/on from our mobile app. That would be just fantastic. Currently I need to go all around and turn off all 9 devices if leaving house for a few days :(
It’s like workout for me.

5) I turned off 2.4Ghz in our network, only 5Ghz working. However, I still can find it in “Hidden Network”, when using Wi-Fi explorer program. It is supposed to be like that?  I hope it’s not giving interference to other wi-fi nearby.
(screenshot below)

6) Devices I have :
HUAWEI HG8245H (gpon technology/terminal)
Deco M5 (9 devices)
TP-Link Archon 1200 C6

Internet Speed :
100mb/s

Legends :
Ethernet -
wi-fi       =

Mode : Access Point (AP)

My topology :

HUAWEI - Deco M5 (main) = Deco M5 = Deco M5 = Deco M5 = Deco M5 = Deco M5 = Deco M5 = Deco M5 = Deco M5 - PC

In topology, last Deco giving wi-fi but also connected to PC through ethernet, so PC can have high speed internet.
I was thinking since Ethernet (lan port) has more priority compared to wi-fi, If I start download on PC, and start download on wi-fi, will it give us 50/50 result or PC will take more speed, since it’s connected through Ethernet ?

7) Also I would like to connect our Deco M5 (which is far) through ethernet cable, so it will share 100mb/s wi-fi.
Should I connect cable from Deco M5 (main) or HUAWEI ?
All Decos in Access Point mode, but HUAWEI is the one, who’s connected directly to Internet Service Provider (ISP).

8) In Access Point mode features like Parental Control, QoS and some more are not available. I wonder can I use Deco (main) in Router Mode ? I’m afraid, that if I do so, it will conflict with my HUAWEI router. Is there any options to put Deco in router mode ? If so, what settings should I change in my HUAWEI, so it will not conflict with Decos ?

Thank you for your time. I’ll be waiting for your answers and opinions.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Re:First experience with Deco M5-Solution
2019-07-03 02:47:52 - last edited 2019-07-04 01:17:52

Hi Boriy,

Thanks leogz for your kindly answer.

There are some additional information or correction. 

There is no option to change channel on the Deco yet, while the Deco will select the best settings based on the actual network environment, and this feature will be added in the next firmware. 

You can check the onemesh compatibility list, the Deco does not support it yet. https://www.tp-link.com/onemesh/compatibility 

Unlike the smart plug or the smart switches, once it is turned off, we cannot control the device anymore, thus we can not power it up; while the Deco supports LED control, you can go to advanced-LET control page to set it  up.

The hidden network is used to work as the wifi backhaul, which you can refer to https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/163198?page=1&t=2019%2F06%2F25%2005%3A59%3A34%20%2B0000

For the actual speed, it is hard to say, it depends on the actual network activities.

Cause current all the Decos work as the access point, for the slave deco, you can connect it to the main deco or other slave decos by wired cable, or you can connect it to the Huawei modem router. 

And you can configure the main Deco as a regular wireless router to use the advanced features, and make Huawei router work as a bridge. You can go to advanced-operation mode page to change it to wireless router via Deco app.

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Re:Re:First experience with Deco M5-Solution
2019-07-03 02:49:06 - last edited 2019-07-04 01:17:45

+ you still can add the C6 into the current Deco network, it can be used to provide internet and extend the wifi range, while it is not a mesh wifi system with Deco. It is isolated one instead. 

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:First experience with Deco M5
2019-07-02 16:58:13

Boriy wrote

Hello everyone.

Recently got 3 pack of Deco M5 (9 devices overall). Everything seems working fine and I have a few questions and a feedback.

1) Official documents says it can connect up to 10 Decos on one network. Is there any reasons, why it was limited to 10 ?

For avoid lost performance with wifi backhaul.

2) I read in next update version3 there will be added website configurations. Really looking for it. I hope there will be option, where we can change settings like :

Use only ac mode
Use only 80mhz

Use only channel 36
and so on…

One version 1.30 no channel changes yet, but deco always find best settings in your topology

3) In OneMesh you mentioned, that lots of routers will be able to join to mesh system, after update (coming soon).
My Router Archon C6 also will have this feature in future, and I wonder can I add him to our network system, that currently have 9 devices of Deco M5 ?
(like below)

https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/?utm_source=banner&utm_medium=local&utm_campaign=all

No, Deco mesh is other system and don't link on OneMesh Products

4) I really hope, you’ll add “auto shutdown” feature in near future. Sometimes, when nobody home, we don’t need Decos to be online. By turning them off, we can save energy and also Deco will have some rest (currently Decos working 24/7).

That would be great, if we could turn them off/on from our mobile app. That would be just fantastic. Currently I need to go all around and turn off all 9 devices if leaving house for a few days :(
It’s like workout for me.

5) I turned off 2.4Ghz in our network, only 5Ghz working. However, I still can find it in “Hidden Network”, when using Wi-Fi explorer program. It is supposed to be like that?  I hope it’s not giving interference to other wi-fi nearby.
(screenshot below)

Yes, 5 and 2.4Ghz hidden networks are always on because this networks are wifi backhaul between decos units

6) Devices I have :
HUAWEI HG8245H (gpon technology/terminal)
Deco M5 (9 devices)
TP-Link Archon 1200 C6

Internet Speed :
100mb/s

Legends :
Ethernet -
wi-fi       =

Mode : Access Point (AP)

My topology :

HUAWEI - Deco M5 (main) = Deco M5 = Deco M5 = Deco M5 = Deco M5 = Deco M5 = Deco M5 = Deco M5 = Deco M5 - PC

In topology, last Deco giving wi-fi but also connected to PC through ethernet, so PC can have high speed internet.
I was thinking since Ethernet (lan port) has more priority compared to wi-fi, If I start download on PC, and start download on wi-fi, will it give us 50/50 result or PC will take more speed, since it’s connected through Ethernet ?

7) Also I would like to connect our Deco M5 (which is far) through ethernet cable, so it will share 100mb/s wi-fi.
Should I connect cable from Deco M5 (main) or HUAWEI ?
All Decos in Access Point mode, but HUAWEI is the one, who’s connected directly to Internet Service Provider (ISP).

8) In Access Point mode features like Parental Control, QoS and some more are not available. I wonder can I use Deco (main) in Router Mode ? I’m afraid, that if I do so, it will conflict with my HUAWEI router. Is there any options to put Deco in router mode ? If so, what settings should I change in my HUAWEI, so it will not conflict with Decos ?

Always connect any deco with main Deco or Other Deco. Always. In Router mode. Into AP mode you can connect any one anyware in your network. behind main router

Thank you for your time. I’ll be waiting for your answers and opinions.

Options
Re:Re:First experience with Deco M5
2019-07-02 19:05:42

Hello @leogz 

Thank you for your reply.

Can you please clarify a few things ?

1)
2) Hope they will add this as option, someone like me, might need it.
3) If I understand you correctly, I can't connect and use my Archon C6 in my current network. It will be a different network. 
4) No answer yet ⚠️
5) But does it have some interference because of many Decos in a small area ? We turned off 2.4Ghz, so we can enjoy 5Ghz speed and technology (MU-MIMO...). How it will change, if we switch to dual-band ? It might get many interferences, since more that 10 wi-fi works nearby on 2.4Ghz ?  2 from neighbours and 9 Decos.
6) No answer yet ⚠️
7) Ok, so I'll connect my Deco №6 (which is far from other Decos) throught ethernet to my main Deco, in AP mode, so it will share 100mb/s wi-fi. If I change mode to Router mode, I still need connect my Deco №6 to the main Deco. Nice.
8) No answer yet ⚠️

Thank you for your answer. I'll wait for more answers.

Options
Re:Re:Re:First experience with Deco M5
2019-07-02 19:16:14

Boriy wrote

Hello @leogz 

Thank you for your reply.

Can you please clarify a few things ?

1)
2) Hope they will add this as option, someone like me, might need it.

I Hope too.

3) If I understand you correctly, I can't connect and use my Archon C6 in my current network. It will be a different network. 

For while mesh system no, i user one C7 With deco, but only wifi in deco units, best away to avoid trouble is use network wifi only via deco units.

4) No answer yet ⚠️
5) But does it have some interference because of many Decos in a small area ? We turned off 2.4Ghz, so we can enjoy 5Ghz speed and technology (MU-MIMO...). How it will change, if we switch to dual-band ? It might get many interferences, since more that 10 wi-fi works nearby on 2.4Ghz ?  2 from neighbours and 9 Decos.

No problem regarding interference. Chipset control anything via Wifi SON

https://www.qualcomm.com/solutions/networking/features/wi-fi-son

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/ipq4019

6) No answer yet ⚠️

7) Ok, so I'll connect my Deco №6 (which is far from other Decos) throught ethernet to my main Deco, in AP mode, so it will share 100mb/s wi-fi. If I change mode to Router mode, I still need connect my Deco №6 to the main Deco. Nice.

yes, i have one network with 5 decos in 5 floor building. 1 and 5 floor with ethernet, and floors 2/3/4 via wifi, and WIFI SON control how spot 2/3/4 use for best performance.

8) No answer yet ⚠️

Thank you for your answer. I'll wait for more answers.

Options
Re:Re:Re:First experience with Deco M5
2019-07-02 19:22:17

My home network:

Q1 Main Deco.
Q2 Second Deco via Ethernet Backhaul.

Q3 and Q4 both via Wifi Backhaul.

I have 300/150mbits Fiber connection and zero issues.

Options
Re:Re:First experience with Deco M5-Solution
2019-07-03 02:47:52 - last edited 2019-07-04 01:17:52

Hi Boriy,

Thanks leogz for your kindly answer.

There are some additional information or correction. 

There is no option to change channel on the Deco yet, while the Deco will select the best settings based on the actual network environment, and this feature will be added in the next firmware. 

You can check the onemesh compatibility list, the Deco does not support it yet. https://www.tp-link.com/onemesh/compatibility 

Unlike the smart plug or the smart switches, once it is turned off, we cannot control the device anymore, thus we can not power it up; while the Deco supports LED control, you can go to advanced-LET control page to set it  up.

The hidden network is used to work as the wifi backhaul, which you can refer to https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/163198?page=1&t=2019%2F06%2F25%2005%3A59%3A34%20%2B0000

For the actual speed, it is hard to say, it depends on the actual network activities.

Cause current all the Decos work as the access point, for the slave deco, you can connect it to the main deco or other slave decos by wired cable, or you can connect it to the Huawei modem router. 

And you can configure the main Deco as a regular wireless router to use the advanced features, and make Huawei router work as a bridge. You can go to advanced-operation mode page to change it to wireless router via Deco app.

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Re:Re:First experience with Deco M5-Solution
2019-07-03 02:49:06 - last edited 2019-07-04 01:17:45

+ you still can add the C6 into the current Deco network, it can be used to provide internet and extend the wifi range, while it is not a mesh wifi system with Deco. It is isolated one instead. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:First experience with Deco M5
2019-07-03 18:52:59

@Kevin_Z  @leogz 

Thank you very much guys.

I did change from router mode to bridge mode on HUAWEI and also did the same in reverse for Deco and everything working good in router mode.

My problem resolved. Thank you very much one more time :)

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:First experience with Deco M5
2019-07-04 01:17:14

Hi Boriy,

You are welcome, glad to hear that the Deco works fine now.

If need any further help in the future, do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3556

Replies: 8

Related Articles