New Deco M5 womt connect over pppoe

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-12 19:58:07
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.8.6

Hello,

i got got a set of 3 Deco M5s today, but I cannot get them to connect to the internet 

I am on Plusnet in the U.K. and my old Archer AC750 connects fine using pppoe and I provide a username and password. 

The m5 is in router mode and using exactly the the same settings as the archers during setup it fails to  connect to the internet, all other functions seem to be working fine. 

I changed my passowrd on plusnet to make sure that wasn’t the problem and then updated the archer and it connnects fine with th new passowrd. The m5 just refuses to connect.

im a bit lost as what else to try, any help greatly appreciated

thanks

john

Options
8 Reply
Re:New Deco M5 womt connect over pppoe
2019-07-12 21:54:10

Have you set up the VLAN ID?  According to Plusnet, one is required for fibre and ADSL doesn’t use PPPoE so I presume that is what you have:  https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

To set the VLAN on the app, go to more, then Advanced, then VLAN, switch the setting on, set the mode to your custom and enter the VLAN ID from your provider’s page (101).  [or, set the mode to your ISP name and double check that the VLAN ID is right, but this relies on the Deco firmware region being right]

Options
2019-07-15 03:47:33

@Johnzxr 

Hi John, like ajharvey said, does VLAN ID need to be enabled to make the internet work? 

If so, you can connect the Deco to the existing AC750 to make it access internet first, and then you can enable the VLAN ID and change the connection type from dynamic IP to PPPoE and enter the username and password to give it a go. 

How to enable VLAN ID, you can go to Advanced-VLAN to do so. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Re:New Deco M5 womt connect over pppoe
2019-07-15 07:34:50

Thank you both for the feedback. 

It's working now, but vlan was not the problem. I did try the vlan suggestion but that did not fix it. In the end I forced a manual DNS and set it to use 8.8.8.8. and that solved it. 

I don't know why it could not retrieve a DNS automatically, I checked theAC750 settings and that was set to auto DNS so, still a bit of a mystery as to exactly what the issue was (and I'm not a fan of not knowing what was wrong) but it is all working perfectly now. 

What no additonal assistance is required, I'm still interested to understand why auto DNS was the issue?

Thanks

John 

Options
Re:Re:Re:New Deco M5 womt connect over pppoe
2019-07-16 01:13:57

@Johnzxr 

Hi John, first thanks for your reply and great to know that it got fixed finally. 

As for the original auto DNS, I'm afraid that there may have some conflict or problems so that it failed to resolve the domain name 

With WAN IP obtained but still no internet access, changing DNS will be the next step. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Re:New Deco M5 womt connect over pppoe
2019-11-07 20:12:07
M5 Setup for fuzenet pppoe
Options
2020-08-02 09:30:38

@Kevin_Z 

hi wonder if you can help me please?

i have a TP Link Archer VR400 which I have been using without problem.

Purchased a Devo M5 pack and want to use the M5 as the router rather than AP mode as I want to use all Deco features.

Reset router into bridge mode

Added Ethernet canoe and set up new Deco

Cannot connect onto Plusnet with Deco

Using correct user name and password

Usibg VLan 101 and 0

Tried forcing DNS to 8.8.8.8

Tried loads of times resetting both etc

Still no joy.

i would be very grateful for any help and advise. Surely cannot be that hard can it for Plusnet customers to use Deco as a router?

many thanks (desperate TP Link / Plusnet customer)

Options
2020-08-02 09:31:57
Sorry for typos - feels like a canoe I must admit!
Options
2020-09-14 09:14:12

@Simp

Facing the same problem. Did you find a solution?!

Options