[Knowledge sharing]How to use firmware recovery if you bricked the TP-Link router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

[Knowledge sharing]How to use firmware recovery if you bricked the TP-Link router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-18 14:20:40 - last edited 2019-07-21 07:49:51

I found you guys may have some trouble when you bricked your routers. Or do not know how to flash firmware which matches the device itself.

Gathered some instructions as below you may have a refernence. 

1. For the router which supports TFTP recovery, like Archer C7  V2, you can refer to the thread to give it a shot.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/81462?page=1

Besides, you can watch this video to get more detailed instruction.

2. For the router which supports web firmware recovery, like Archer C9 V3,FAQ listed as below. 

https:// https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1482/

May it help you who in need. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:[Knowledge sharing]How to use firmware recovery if you bricked the TP-Link router?-Solution
2019-07-21 07:48:53 - last edited 2019-07-21 07:49:51

Thanks for sharing. 

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:[Knowledge sharing]How to use firmware recovery if you bricked the TP-Link router?-Solution
2019-07-21 07:48:53 - last edited 2019-07-21 07:49:51

Thanks for sharing. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:[Knowledge sharing]How to use firmware recovery if you bricked the TP-Link router?
2020-05-27 13:31:43
thanks for sharing
Options
Re:[Knowledge sharing]How to use firmware recovery if you bricked the TP-Link router?
2020-08-04 22:46:51

@Gray_Blue7 how can I restore an EAP product firmware to original?

Options
2020-12-26 06:59:24

@Gray_Blue7 

Hi. Thanks for sharing. 

How to recovery the router when you bricked it? - Home Network Community (tp-link.com)

There is this topic for TFTP and my router, but it is closed. This one:
How to recovery the router when you bricked it? - Home Network Community (tp-link.com)
I have TL WR740N (0 like zero) ver. 5. Bricked because I messed with OpenWRT.
I am trying all day and all night to repair it. 
I've did everything under the what the people and OP in the mentioned topic have described. 

As my LAN cable is not in the same room as in the PC, yesterday I've managed to get to that dialogue box when it started sharing. I think I'e somehow configured my ethernet to 86 not to 66, when that happened. However, now I can't get to back, and even that wasn't successful, but it was a one step forward. 
I must say that I disabled my Wifi on the PC back then. 

This morning I've tried literally everything, to repeat the steps from the back, but nothing is happening. I've tried to put the firmware into the separate folder, to put into the TFTP folder, and to run different TFTP clients,  but it's the same mistake:
Here it is: 

Connection received from 192.168.0.86 on port 2918 [26/12 07:27:44.483]
Read request for file <wr740v5_tp_recovery.bin>. Mode octet [26/12 07:27:44.483]
File <wr740v5_tp_recovery.bin> : error 2 in system call CreateFile The system cannot find the file specified. [26/12 07:27:44.483]

... and the mistake is repeating. 

Are there alternatives to TFTP. 

I've bought router at the official retail store in Europe. It has no warranty anymore, but it served me very good, and it is good, it was just my mistake trying to do something with OpenWRT without knowledge. 
The router is blinking when it is powered on.
Can I update through Web firmware to bricked router (I downladed ver 5, but it always request the ver 5 firmware, I've tried even with ver 2.  
In the meantime I have internet access as I've bought some Archer which is also great, so I have a Wifi accesss. 

My internet configuration is that router is getting configuration from the cable modem.

Is there anyone from TP Link who can suggest me what do try? @Kevin_Z 
I will provide you with other information you need. TP LINK serves me great and this bricked model has a very high coverage for me. 
Best holidays and kind regards. 

Options
2022-01-31 23:02:50
Flash a striped firmware or flash openwrt.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 4999

Replies: 5