TL-WN822N loses connection randomly (W10)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-20 21:31:14
Model: TL-WN822N  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I have a TL-WN822N that I bought a while ago (hardware V3), and in recent Windows updates it's started to lose connection randomly.

It was happening a lot with RTL8192CU drivers. I then installed the actual drivers for the adapter, which stopped the problem until I updated Windows to 1903.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-wn822n/v3/#Driver

It usually happens when I'm using 4MB/s+ of connection (usually browsing Youtube). It then just tells me that the Wi-Fi connection has no internet access, when it actually does.

Are there any fixes? I already tried installing newer drivers (V4, V5) but they do not work at all.

Options
7 Reply
Re:TL-WN822N loses connection randomly (W10)
2019-07-21 07:05:54

My old tl wn821n v3 usb stick adapter started doing the same thing about thursday last week. I thought it was just getting old. It would max out at just under 4 mbs and then start to decrease til the Led light froze or went off completely. After a bit it would start up again. Any heavy downloading would make it do it again and again. It would work for  bit then drop down til it lost connection then reconnect.

I tried the drivers but there is only 2012 win 8 beta drivers for it. Tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. Tried other usb ports. I use an old pc so i got a couple of bsods i thought must be linked to it and looked at the minidump analysis. Nothing i could understand. So in the end i tried a new fresh win 10 install on another drive. The new win 10 install wouldn't recognize it even with the drivers put in. It sees it as an Atheros adapter. It seems to working. Need to try it on a heavy download. Network speed is low though. Will try an ookla speed run test..

Well you have to fart with it but my old pc is a dinosaur. So getting back to 4 mbs is good enough. have to test it on a big fast download which means finding a downloader to download something at that speed.

Options
2019-07-22 02:21:05

@EWS 

There is no official driver for Windows 10 laptop of 823N V3, Instead, it can be installed automatically by the system. thus it is hard toguarantee the performance and stability. We will do some troubleshooting first and check whether it will work. 

So it is connected to the wifi network but no internet access, right? Please click here  to check the IP address and gateway with computer connected to the Wi-Fi. 

How often it drops out the connection? How do you make it back to work?

What about the wireless signal strength? How far away does it from the main router?

What about other wireless devices? Do they drop the connection?

How did you install the driver? Please show us a download link of the driver you installed. 

Have you ever tried to change some wireless settings of the main router? Like wireless channel and channel width?

Besides, if possible, we suggest you to change another USB port or another computer to do a comparison analysis.

Options
Re:Re:TL-WN822N loses connection randomly (W10)
2019-07-22 02:27:22

@azeraph 

The TL-WN823N V3 does not support windows 10, that is why the network adapter cannot be recognized. 

You can change another Windows computer to do a comparison test. Like Windows 7 or so. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:TL-WN822N loses connection randomly (W10)
2019-07-22 20:35:24

Sorry didn't see the reply notification email. 

I use torrents for alsorts, you can monitor download speed at the torrent speed the downloader operates on. That's how you can see it looks like it's being throttled back as it reaches certains speeds at verying times. It's not static so it happens at random times and at random speeds. Of course that could be due to the torrent and seeds but that didn't matter as so much that once it started to happen it would throttle back slowly down to zero. Once zero was reached it would freeze ( Led light stuck on and would require to be pulled and reinserted. )  or  turn off completely. Most times that meant it had shut down then windows 10 would pick it back up again. 

It's on my old pc in the garage but close to where the router is in the house. The walls are thin and though it's not top signal strength it's constant at 70 to 90 signal strength. Since the last reply to you it started to throttle back when i put it under load. I had an old phone so i connected that and no throttle back issues or disconnection. All i can figure is that it's an old adapter that can't handle heavy loads any more. I somehow wrecked the atheros driver for it in my win 10 and it wouldn't recognize it anymore but would still pick it up, so i was able to connect via just automatic network profile set to private. Still got throttle back and disconnection issues.

I was using win 7 til 2 weeks ago then decided to switch back to win 10. I should never have made the jump. Win 10 1903 wrecked my constant and has given me nothing but problems. Once the adapter started acting like this then switching back to win 7 copy didn't matter. I have usb 3 issues so thought it was possibly a consequence of that but i don't think so. I did come across a forum where they said to reload the motherboard drivers to help with the usb 3 problems. It didn't matter as it did the same on the other usb ports anyway.

I should've mentioned i had a mini usb stick tp link adapter on another pc in the house and that stopped working a couple of years ago. 

The drivers available for my adapter tl wn821n v3 are beta for win 8. Theres nothing else for my adapter.

Options
Re:Re:Re:TL-WN822N loses connection randomly (W10)
2020-01-03 18:45:55

@azeraph I have a TL 8200ND and i have the same problem, constantly drops, with the adapter drivers and the windows recommended drivers ,idk what to do. 

Options
2020-05-03 23:40:26

@EWS Hi if you follow the instructions I've attached below you should be good to go.

File:
How to get Tl-Wn822n V3 Working.docxDownload
Options
2020-05-26 09:01:44

Ok, so with a TL-WN821N v4 with Windows 10 version 1909, I've done what was explained above, asking to Windows to stop installing drivers by itself, trying to uninstall the driver using the Device Manager, disconnecting the TP LINK, ect. and it didn't work because the last Windows versions don't allow you to unistall drivers using the Device Manager. So I went directly to delete the driver in the system32 using right clic on your device on the Device Manager, Properties, Drivers and Details on drivers. I found two drivers that were used for this device the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\vwifibus.sys from Windows and the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\rtwlanu_oldIC.sys from Realtek. Modifing my access in order to delete the last driver correctly (modified the owner : "TrustInstaller" to "Yourself" and change the permissions of 'Yourself' on this file) (make sure you keep a copy on your desktop or somewhere) I managed to delete the Realtek driver in order to force install the TP-Link driver for Windows 8.1. and now, finally it's working !

To summarize, Windows install drivers for your Windows 7 Wifi USB Key and don't allow you to reimplace this RealTek driver easily passing by the Device Manager...

(Sorry for the English, I'm French).

Hope it will help someone and thank you Moboy for the idea and your tutorial !

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 13909

Replies: 7

Related Articles