Votes

Setup Static Route for Deco M5

Votes

Setup Static Route for Deco M5

51 Reply
RE:Setup Static Route for Deco M5
2023-02-22 08:50:16
Static Routes should be consdered for all Deco-Products.
Options
2023-05-29 19:38:51
Static Routes should be considered for all Deco-Products.
Options
Re:Setup Static Route for Deco M5
2023-07-10 11:50:12

@boolan175 

Looks like Static routes are finally delivered on Deco M5 series.

One bug I found that, once created, I was not able to edit/delete the created static routes.

The > button looked grayed out and won't respond.  

After a couple of restarts, they finally responded, and then I was able to edit/delete the entries.

Options
2023-08-03 10:29:16

@David-TP is there any chance that this feature could be added to the X50 DSL?

Thanks!

Options
2024-01-27 20:49:16

I've just added a similar request here:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/652876

Having just read some of this thread I now feel terrified. It seems that adding this simple feature took 4 years for just one model/unit!!

I now have to wonder about ripping out all of the deco units (at least 30 spread over 4 locations). Some reassurance here would be good, if anyone can help?

Options
2024-01-27 20:50:15

@Faisal-Iqbal 

YES!! My thoughts exactly. 

Options
2024-01-29 16:31:59

@David-TP

Would be great if you could please let us know if and when this feature might be comming to other devices, such as the S7 and X50 DSL.

Options
2024-01-29 16:57:27
Please bring this most basic of features to the entire Deco range.
Options
2024-01-29 17:15:44

@Pebble I have had great luck with my tp-link devices. I would not rip them out. The features are strong and the price is right. The static route was a pain, but nothing I could not deal with. The omada equipment is even better and more the direction I am headed with new devices. Still I have 3 sites with Deco and it works great without any monthly fees.

Options
2024-01-29 17:49:18 - last edited 2024-01-29 17:52:18

@snackpack 

Hey there, thanks for your reply.

I have installed the Omada range in a few places and can confirm that it's great kit at a reasonable price. Can and will use again - my nunber one choice for business Wi-Fi.

The Deco range is also excellent in terms of its simplicity and reliability - great for many users who just want an easy, reliable internet connection. However, easy and reliable Wi-Fi and internet is now virtually ubiquitous in the industry.

If you want the most basic of features, such as static routes, which has been available for EVERY competing product for around two decades, it seems to be a case of 'please look elsewhere'. The situation, as I understand it is:

'It might be coming, it might not. It might include some of the prouct range, it might eventually come to all products in the range. It might take a year, it might take four years. Hold on, as it could be a possibility. Maybe.'

It's such a shame, as I really do like the Deco system/range, but if it can't do all of the basics then I'm not sure I can recommend it. I was truly shocked to discover that static routes are not an option - like absolutely could not believe it. It's a really simple feature to add.

I was even more shocked when I read the thread on the M5 getting this feature - it ONLY took 4 years from when it was first requested! A quick search shows that the M5 has exsited since April, 2017 - so was without this feature for seven years!

Love the relative performance/value/ease-of-use. Shame about some of the basics being absent.

I'm curious about how you 'dealt with' being without static routes. I could install a dedicated VPN gateway, with its own gateway IP on the same subnet and then, for each device, manually change its Wi-Fi setting to the VPN gateway etc. Of course all devices connected to the VPN will have all their traffic go over the VPN (which is not suitable). In addition; if and when a VPN device is rejoined to Wi-Fi, the settings will need to be re-done again.

Countless other problems with such a janky solution - when all I want is device(s) on network A to be available on network B. It also means that all the simplicity and ease of use of the system is gone.

Options

Voters 13

+ 9 Voters

Tags

Static Route