Separate 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz on Deco M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Separate 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz on Deco M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
47 Reply
Re:Separate 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz on Deco M4
2020-12-07 09:23:34

@TP-Link 

Guys honestly just use the guest network for anything that is only 2.4G, saves all of the hassle and works flawlessly.

Options
2021-01-02 14:39:22

@TP-Link 

Sorry, this is unacceptable to those of us running a local DNS server. Because the main network is completely isolated from the Guest network, any local DNS server IP address will be passed to the Guest network but is not contactable. Because the Guest network is completely unconfigurable, one cannot set a separate IP address for the DNS server. 

My situation: I run a local DNS server at 192.168.86.2 which is passed to all clients via DHCP (configured using the Deco app). When I enable a Guest network, this IP address is passed as the DNS server to all clients using the Guest network, but they cannot communicate with this IP address as the two networks are separated. 

At the very least, the DNS (preferably the entire DHCP - why are you using the same subnet for the Guest network anyway if they can't speak to each other?) needs to be configurable.

Excellent product, let down by some really stupid implementation decisions. 

Options
2021-02-24 13:20:37

@TP-Link In your reply, you stated 'if you use two SSIDs on the Deco, it would break the mesh.' Out of curiosity, in what way will the mesh be broken if I were to setup the main network to 5 GHz and the guest network to 2.4 GHz? I prefer setting it up this way as it allows me to allocate the 2.4 GHz to my IOT devices. Please do get back to me.

Options
2021-02-24 13:58:33

@samwzlim it only breaks it if you have all devices trying to work the normal and guest network, just use the guest network for older devices which can only work on the 2.4 signal, leve everything else which will be the majority of your devices to use the standard network.  It works perfectly unless you want to use fast roaming then it doesnt but that set up as not active by default.

Options
2021-04-12 08:50:24

Adding another vote for this.

I too thought that separating out with the guest network was a good workaround but since found issues (as someone else mentioned) that the main and guest networks don't always talk nicely to each other.

Examples - Sonos & my printer. Both can only connect to 2.4Ghz but i can't see them when connected to 5Ghz.

2nd workaround is to use Power line adapters for both these de3vices but come on, this isn't ideal nor the way it should be. Workarounds suggest something isn't working and we've found a way to get round it for now but a permanent solution should be implemented.

Great product, but i wouldn't yet recommend to friends and family. The whole point of these mesh devices is it gives fast 5Ghz network around the house, for most devices i do not want them to connect to 2.4Ghz. Plus historically i've always tried to eliminate 2.4Ghz as i've had terrible Bluetooth interference with my iPhone and MacBook Pro which intermittantly has ground my wifi connection to a halt.

Options
2021-04-23 08:27:35

+1 vote. Ziggo (main telecom provider) offers the M4 in the Netherlands. 

It' ridiculous that one can't separate 5 and 2.4GHZ... Using the Guest network is creating issues for Printers and my Robot vacuum cleaner.

Issue is that, if I enable 2.4GHZ on the main network, my Xbox and phones are having problems, and do drop their network whenever switching. Therefore, the main network only has 5GHZ enabled.

Options
2021-04-23 08:54:42

@Robert8891 

Not sure how people are having issues with the guest network, run it with old smart plugs printers no issues at all, main network has 2.4 and 5G set up on it and no issues on TV, streaming sticks, phones, ipads, printers, xbox.  Just make sure you dont have fast roaming set up and then no issues at all.  On VM in the UK we get constant 200Mbps everywhere.

Options
2021-05-03 22:20:52 - last edited 2021-05-03 22:23:51

@sasasi91 

I just got a TPlink Deco M9 plus (3 mesh) system and today was trying to connect it ti my Amazon FireTV blaster linked to my echo dot linked to my FireTV 4k stick (makes it like a FireCUBE).  Spent 2.5 hours with Amazon tech support and they couldn't get it to connect to my Deco M9 plus router as it always at the last step in setup says cannot connect to network, so we believe it is the router at issue.

I just got off the phone with a high tier tech support rep at Amazon who knew that the FireTV blaster must connect at 2.4GHz band WIFI on the same network as the FireTV 4k stick, but with a different SSID name.  I had the FireTV stick connected to SSID madashell at 5GHz and the FireTV blaster was trying to connect to SSID madashell 5GHz - at least that is the SSID I checked on and entered the password for, but after I entered the password a popup message appeared stating that it could not find that SSID.  I also tried connecting both at 2.4GHz earlier and that didn't seem to work either.  

So, I don't know what to do.   Perhaps there is no workaround as suggested in this forum for doing this

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate hearing from you.

-------------

Another issue someone may be able to help with is....

Out of the box the DECO M9 plus label seems to say vers 2.8 so I assume that means my hardware is version 2 (for updating firmware)

Well on the app, the firmware shows as:  1.2.12 Build 20191014  Rel. 42025

And it says the firmware is up to date!

But on the TPlink website it says there is a new 2021 firmware availalbe and details how to use the app to update the firmware.

BUT....the app says the seemingly old 1.2.12 firmware is up to date  AND the TPlink website doesn't even list this older version of the firmware.

Anyone know what could be going on here with my firmware issue.

-----------

Any ideas would be appreciated.   Thanks in advance.

Options
2021-05-04 06:47:26

s

NJDeco wrote

@sasasi91 

I just got a TPlink Deco M9 plus (3 mesh) system and today was trying to connect it ti my Amazon FireTV blaster linked to my echo dot linked to my FireTV 4k stick (makes it like a FireCUBE).  Spent 2.5 hours with Amazon tech support and they couldn't get it to connect to my Deco M9 plus router as it always at the last step in setup says cannot connect to network, so we believe it is the router at issue.

I just got off the phone with a high tier tech support rep at Amazon who knew that the FireTV blaster must connect at 2.4GHz band WIFI on the same network as the FireTV 4k stick, but with a different SSID name.  I had the FireTV stick connected to SSID madashell at 5GHz and the FireTV blaster was trying to connect to SSID madashell 5GHz - at least that is the SSID I checked on and entered the password for, but after I entered the password a popup message appeared stating that it could not find that SSID.  I also tried connecting both at 2.4GHz earlier and that didn't seem to work either.  

So, I don't know what to do.   Perhaps there is no workaround as suggested in this forum for doing this

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate hearing from you.

-------------

Another issue someone may be able to help with is....

Out of the box the DECO M9 plus label seems to say vers 2.8 so I assume that means my hardware is version 2 (for updating firmware)

Well on the app, the firmware shows as:  1.2.12 Build 20191014  Rel. 42025

And it says the firmware is up to date!

But on the TPlink website it says there is a new 2021 firmware availalbe and details how to use the app to update the firmware.

BUT....the app says the seemingly old 1.2.12 firmware is up to date  AND the TPlink website doesn't even list this older version of the firmware.

Anyone know what could be going on here with my firmware issue.

-----------

Any ideas would be appreciated.   Thanks in advance.

As the main network uses a dual band of 2.4 and 5G bands to give you the best signal and your device can only use 2.4 you cant use the dual band and hence why it cant find the 24 signal.  Easiest way is to create a guest network and and use only the 2.4 band disabling the 5g band and use that.  Its easy to do and means your device will have a dedicated band for itself, you might find old smart plugs, printers and even Sano speakers have this issue so just use the guest band for them.

Options
2021-05-04 07:52:36

Just be aware although this works for a lot of scenarios, there are some it doesn't seem to play nice with - not for me anyway (e.g. Sonos, Printers)

Read back through the thread for info.

Options
Related Articles