Calibre companion

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Calibre companion

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Calibre companion
Calibre companion
2019-07-25 20:20:19
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've just replaced my virgin media router home network with deco 5s with the router in modem mode.

I have calibre ebook library on my computer and run calibre companion on a tablet. This worked fine until I moved to deco5.

Calibre companion can now no longer access calibre on my computer. It uses port 8080. I assume the deco 5 is preventing the two devices talking to each other. Any ideas what I should do?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Calibre companion
2019-07-26 02:47:51

@Ned01 

You can try to open the port 8080 for the calibre ebook library on the Deco app to give it a go. Click here to get more information. 

Meanwhile, it is recommended to contact the tech support of Calibre to get some specific help.

Options
2019-07-26 05:29:30

Just to check here - are the computer and Tablet both connected to the Deco's Wifi?  Or is one or other still getting a connection from (or even cabled to) the Virgin Media router / modem?

Have you been able to perform other connectivity test between the two?  And is one able to ping the other? 

Deco does not usually filter in-network connections, except when it quarantines, or blocks an infected device.

Are both of them getting DHCP IP addresses from the Deco?  There have been issues with the Deco changing the LAN IP subnet to resolve to a confilct with the outside (in your case, Virgin Router) network - which makes the problem go away, but leaves staticly configured devices stranded if you don't resolve the actual problem.

Options
Re:Re:Calibre companion
2019-07-26 09:18:21

Thanks Kevin,

I've read the link in your message and I'm not sure that's what I'm after as that is about port forwarding for traffic between my network and across the internet. My problem is connecting between two devices within my network. Both my computer running calibre and my tablet running claibre companion are on the deco network.

I'll follow up your other suggestion and ask TP-Link support for help.

Ned

Options
Re:Re:Re:Calibre companion
2019-07-26 11:12:06

@Ned01 

If they cannot access each other locally, try to disable the firewall or antivirus software on your computer. 

Meanwhile, you can ping the computer which installed the Calibre ebook library from your tablet to check whether it works. 

Also, per we said, contact the tech support of the Calibre ebook is a good choice. 

Wish you good luck. 

Options
2019-07-26 15:11:05

Yes - they are both on the deco network.

I tried pinging but could only do it one way. The reason for this is because the laptop with the calibre ebook library (windows 10) is reporting the deco network as a 'public network. I have now set autodiscovery on for public networks (which I didn't want to do and can ping both ways but still not use calibre companion.

Both devices have new IP addresses and calibre is reporting the new IP address and my tablet knows about it.

I wonder if the problem is because the deco network is being reported as a public network. How can I change that?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Calibre companion
2019-07-26 21:58:49

Yes, if the network is set to Public, Windows will refuse all inbound connections, and you will get exactly the symptoms you describe.  Windows tends to default new networks to Public to be as secure as possible.

Here’s a couple of links to instructions on changing your network type for Windows 10:

https://windowsloop.com/change-network-from-public-to-private-windows-10/

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6815-set-network-location-private-public-windows-10-a.html

hopefully that will fix it.

Options
2019-07-26 22:24:29 - last edited 2019-07-26 22:25:39

All sorted - Thanks everybody for your suggestions and help. I think it was a mcafee problem but am uncertain which particular thing I changed sorted it!

Options
2019-07-29 01:39:49

@Ned01 

Thanks for your reply, glad to hear that it was resolved finally. 

Any further problem, do not hesitate to contact us. 

Nice day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2183

Replies: 8