Wifi on 5Ghz slow on mobile devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-02 00:37:19 - last edited 2019-08-02 02:07:43
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.3.0 0.9.1 v006c.0 Build 170809 Rel.42095n

When ever i connect my mobile phone to the 5ghz wifi it initially connects at 800-900 but after a few minutes the speed drops to 30 then 13 then 6. I have tried to reset the unit to factory, also forgot the wifi network on my phone and reconnected, also power cycled both the router and the phone. Nothing make any difference.

The phone (samsung s10+) connects to other 5g wifi and is stable.

Any advice?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Wifi on 5Ghz slow on mobile devices
2019-08-02 02:15:43

@radind 

We will do some troubleshooting to narrow down the issue and try to fix it. 

How many devices will connect to the network at once? Does the samsung smart phone have the same issue with it connected to the 2.4GHz? 

What about other devices connected to the 5GHz? Do they have the same issue? 

When the wifi speed slows down, what is the wired speed you can get from the VR2800? please check the stability of wired connection. 

Besides, when the speed slows down, please login to the web UI of vr2800 and take a full screenshot of the status page and send it to us. 

Then, try to customize the wireless settings of the 5GHz to optimize the wireless performance, including channel and channel width, channel 36, 40 and 44 are recommended, channel width is 40MHz. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Wifi on 5Ghz slow on mobile devices
2019-08-02 04:46:58

I have 5 devices that connect to the 5g wifi. One other phone drops speed. I cant check the speed of the others but I can tell you my computer connects at 866 and stays there, its only phones that drop. If i connect the 2.4 it connects at 173 and is stable at that.

I have tried changing the wifi chanel to 40 and 44 as well as the width to 80. Also tried to set it to AC only

Options
Re:Re:Re:Wifi on 5Ghz slow on mobile devices
2019-08-02 05:17:14

I have just tested with an older Archer D7 and the 5g wifi is stable to my phone. Phone stays connected at 866. My new Archer VR2800 the 5g wifi fluctuates up and down before setting around 13.

I have also noticed that the wifi dropps in and out as an available network when not connected to it.

There is something wrong with this 5g hardware on this device.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Wifi on 5Ghz slow on mobile devices
2019-08-08 07:51:49

@radind 

Thanks for your reply; sorry to respond late.

The current issue may be related to the router itself; to solve your issue quickly, please contact our tech support to verify whether the replacement is qualified. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/contact-technical-support/#E-mail-Support 

Best regards. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Wifi on 5Ghz slow on mobile devices
2019-08-08 07:54:01

I have already recieved a replacment unit and the new one shows similar issues although not as bad. Only seems to be a problem with mobile phones and not computers.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Wifi on 5Ghz slow on mobile devices
2019-08-09 05:56:53

@radind 

That is weird, do you have any other smart phone? Do they have the same issue as the samsung S10? 

Meanwhile, what is the OS version of the samsung S10? 

What is the wireless negotiation speed when the speed slows down on your cellphone? You can verify it under settings - wireless page. 

Please show us a full screenshot of the advanced-status page of VR2800 when the speed slows down.

Have you ever tried to hard reset the smart phone or contact their tech support to get some suggestion? 

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Wifi on 5Ghz slow on mobile devices
2019-08-09 06:55:54

I havent done anything with the phone other than power cycle it as it connects to my old D7 and doesnt drop speed. It also happens on my wifes LG G6 phone. 

The samsung is running Android 9.

I have tuned the router off and ive gone back to my old D7 so cant show any setting from the unit, but would like to be able to use it again for the other features it has. 

As this has happened on 2 different unit I'm n ot convinced the new MU-MIMO wifi is working that well. My old unit doesnt have that tech in it and it works.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2985

Replies: 7

Related Articles