C7 QOS parameters configuration

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-07 14:14:36
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

My question is:

If I setup upload and download bandwith from my ISP contracted service, then I select High Priority devices, medium Priority devices and Low Priority devices, how bandwith will be shared among device in specific cases?

For example

Case 1- Bandwith is lower than demanded traffic,
How bandwith will be alocated between devices, as priorities percentages have been configured? , so for example if high priority is 60%, medium is 30% and low is 10%. Alocation is fixed or dinamic? What percentages mean? Can be that hight  priority devices will be guaranteed with 60% of the bandwidh? What happens when High priority devices are much more than low priority devices and low priority devices are not demanding traffic? In this latter case the high priority devices will compete among them for the 60 % or they will "steal" bandwith from the medium and low priority percentages?

Case2- Bandwith is higher than demanded traffic
How bandwith is alocated between devices? As fixed configured percentages between high, medium and low priority, are devices traffic to  be alocated within the configured percentage limit , regardless of demand from the other configured users? For example, at a certain moment, no high priority device is demanding traffic and at the same time time a low bandwidh configured  device is demanding for traffic. In this case, there are 2 possibilities, that router, regardless that there is not traffic being demanded by high priority device, will not allow the low priority to ocupy the full available bandwith,  or the other possibility is that QUOS behaves completely dinamic and the low priority will be allowed, in this case, to accupy the full available Bandwith

Hope the question is understood and somebody answer me how behaves the QOS configuration parameters as the user manual is not very detailed in this matter.

Options
9 Reply
Re:C7 QOS parameters configuration
2019-08-08 06:59:39

@MitoBsAs 

The percentage you setup for high/medium/low priority means that the router will transfer the specific packets at once. Not the relative actual speed you can get with different priorities. 

The QoS will work as the percentage configured strictly if they all transfer packets at maximum; while it is dynamic; if the High priority devices are much more than low priority devices and low priority devices are not demanding traffic, the high priority devices will share the spare bandwidth, it can be regarded that it will steal" bandwith from the medium and low priority percentages; Vice versa.

The QoS is used to guarantee the performance/stability of specific applications/devices, while it won't limit the whole bandwidth; Unlike bandwidth control to setup certain speed a device can get, the QoS is more flexible and dynamic. 

Wish I make myself clear. 

Best regards. 

Options
Re:Re:C7 QOS parameters configuration
2019-08-08 14:47:57

Thanks Kevin,

Partially understood. Cumbersome. But I will give some  tries before going forward

A further question should be: What happen with devices you dont declare in the priority lists? Are they considered as default as low Priority, because most devices can be dynamic and a router should not give non-declared devices a priority in any case. Can you explain what could happen with priority with non declared priority devices.?

TXS  

Options
Re:Re:Re:C7 QOS parameters configuration
2019-08-13 06:58:24

@MitoBsAs 

Sorry to respond late. 

The devices which are not declared in the priority list have the medium priority by default.

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:C7 QOS parameters configuration
2019-08-20 01:03:07

Hi Kevin,

Is it possible that TPlink changed today the QOS settings in the C7 V5 router user interface? , because since today QOS settings doesnt show any more the High , medium and low priority settings. It happened at the same time Tether app change the look and feel of the QOS settings to access router from the cloud. And since then it is not possile to setup QOS as we discussed in the thread. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:C7 QOS parameters configuration
2019-08-21 07:40:50

@MitoBsAs 

Hi, the high/middle/low priority still exist. Please check under advanced-QoS- advanced page. 

And you can add the specific device into the different priority list. 

Below is the instruction to set it up: 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1532/

Best regards. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:C7 QOS parameters configuration
2019-08-22 00:15:57

Hello Kevin

Unfortunately I confirm that there has been a change in QOS settings. At least is what you can see in following capture . These change happened 2 or 3 days ago, with no intervention on my side.

As the new setting shows there is no advance settings and the priorities percentages are no more avalilable.
Also is interesting that look and feel changed completely
Something has changed and there is no information .
The device you see in the screen, is a device that was stablished as priority with Tether app, not in web router   

Seems to be something knew and probably conflicting with Tether app

There is need to TPlink explain better what happened. 

Regards

Mito

Kevin_Z wrote

@MitoBsAs 

Hi, the high/middle/low priority still exist. Please check under advanced-QoS- advanced page. 

And you can add the specific device into the different priority list. 

Below is the instruction to set it up: 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1532/

Best regards. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:C7 QOS parameters configuration
2019-08-22 02:48:10

@MitoBsAs 

Hi, please refer to the release note below, the latest firmware improve the mechanism of parental controls and QoS.

With it enabled, all connected devices will be listed, and you can enable the priority button to enable QoS for the specific device.

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:C7 QOS parameters configuration
2019-08-22 12:01:56

Thanks, I will give a try and comment

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:C7 QOS parameters configuration
2019-08-23 01:30:36

Definitely sure, take your time. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0