Using Decos with Sky Fibre Broadband (router ER115)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-11 18:55:29
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I am looking at getting the Deco M5 whole house kit ...

I have sky fibre broadband using their router (ER115). 

I have read some conflicting advice on the web as whether mesh wifi is compatible with Sky. Just wanted to check whether anybody had any advice or whether anyone has been able to do this?

Thanks

Options
8 Reply
Re:Using Decos with Sky Fibre Broadband (router ER115)
2019-08-11 19:58:28

I have sky and a set of decos. I also have sky q.

Main point is to set the sky router with no WiFi and connect the deco to the router with a cable. I actually have my sky router set with a DMZ and the deco is in that DMZ. This seems to speed up the connectivity and bypasses some of sky's filtering.

All works well for me :-)

Options
Re:Re:Using Decos with Sky Fibre Broadband (router ER115)
2019-08-11 20:18:59
Thanks Iconic. Sorry to ask... But could you provide some more information about DMZ.. not sure what this is and why and how I need to configure this?
Options
Re:Re:Re:Using Decos with Sky Fibre Broadband (router ER115)
2019-08-12 03:11:52

@K18ldp 

I think that Iconic still use the sky router as router mode, but with wifi function disabled; to bypass the filter rules existed on the sky router, he enabled DMZ for Deco.

For your case, you can setup sky router as bridge mode to synchronize with the fibre connection first and configure Deco as regular wireless router, in this way, theoretically, the Deco will obtain a public internet IP address; and you can access the local device remotely with it. 

Best regards. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Using Decos with Sky Fibre Broadband (router ER115)
2019-08-13 20:35:22

Guidance from tplink was that if the deco is in router mode then the parental controls and bandwidth limiters etc still work - this was key for me.

The DMZ setting is one of the advanced options in the sky q hub settings. A key advantage is also port forwarding works for my VPN etc.

Basically set up the deco with a single static address eg 192.168.1.51. In the sky hub set up a DMZ with that address. All should work... Once connected you can disable the WiFi on the sky hub... In my case I've left it active on 5g as a hidden said ...just in case!

Options
Re:Using Decos with Sky Fibre Broadband (router ER115)
2019-08-17 12:47:17

Hi folks could do with some help too if you don't mind with Sky Superfast Broadband, Sky Q and Deco M5s. Apologies in advance as this may seem a bit of a ramble!

We have thick walls and 3 storeys so got the Decos a while back to improve wifi performance throughout the house. I created a new mesh network (let's call it MeshDecoM5) but can still "see" the Sky network (call it SKY12345) on the list of networks on my devices although all devices connect to MeshDecoM5 always as default. Wfif on iphones, ipads, chromecast etc all worked fine when the Decos were installed and still do.

However I recently switched from Sky HD+ to Sky Q and this is when problems started with Sky Q and Q mini boxes. The Sky engineer had problems getting the minis to talk to the main Q box when he did the installation. He tried with a booster in several locations in the house but still no joy. His solution was to connect all 3 Q boxes to a Deco M5 with an ethernet cable. 90% of the time this is fine but often the tv picture will freeze and/or judder on all 3 boxes but more often on the minis. Therefore I'm not certain all has been configured optimumly with all the correct settings on the Q boxes and Deco M5 app.

My setup is as follows:

Sky Broadband Hub connected to main Deco M5 with ethernet cable on middle floor of house. Additional slave M5 in another room on middle floor too with signal source as main M5.

Sky Q mini on top floor connected to M5 with ethernet cable. From the Sky engineer menu both 2.4GHz & 5GHz are "off" and channel width set to 80GHz/ch36. No other M5s on top floor.

Sky Q main box is on ground floor connected to M5 with ethernet cable. Both 2.4GHz & 5GHz wireless are "off" and channel width set to 80GHz/ch36. I also have Sky Q mini connected exactly the same way with the same settings in another room. I have a third slave Deco M5 in another room too. 

So because all 3 Sky boxes have ethernet connections to Deco M5s and all 3 have wireless switched off, I assumed the Sky boxes would connect to the MeshDecoM5 network. However on the Sky Settings/Status/Network Connection menu on all 3 Sky boxes it says Network Name is SKY12345. Does this therefore mean the Sky boxes are using the Sky Network and not the Decos? How can this be when the Decos are hardwired to the Sky boxes and the Sky boxes have wireless off? This is where it all gets too hard for me to understand so would appreciate any help in "idiot's guide" format that anyone can offer!

As an aside, in the Deco app I have given all 3 sky boxes High Priority and switched off Anti Virus but this doesn't seem to have made much difference.

Lastly wifi performance all over the house is still very good and spreedtest consistently shows download speeds of 51Mbps and upload of 16Mbps.

Thanks in advance.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Using Decos with Sky Fibre Broadband (router ER115)
2020-04-12 21:51:32 - last edited 2020-04-12 21:56:55

Iconic wrote

Guidance from tplink was that if the deco is in router mode then the parental controls and bandwidth limiters etc still work - this was key for me.

The DMZ setting is one of the advanced options in the sky q hub settings. A key advantage is also port forwarding works for my VPN etc.

Basically set up the deco with a single static address eg 192.168.1.51. In the sky hub set up a DMZ with that address. All should work... Once connected you can disable the WiFi on the sky hub... In my case I've left it active on 5g as a hidden said ...just in case!

@Iconic I know it's been a while since you posted here but I'm hoping you could help me out. 

I'm looking to get the Deco M4 and was hoping to achieve what you have done which is having Deco in a router mode so I could use all its features. 

Because I'm currently on Sky Fibre everyone seems to be suggesting to use Deco in AP mode.

The workaround you described above seems like perfect solution but I do have some questions :

1. Within Sky Hub's advanced settings do you have your router configured as DHCP server ? 

2. With having a DMZ set up is there any downsides ? Issues I may run into ? 

3. Is there anything else I would need to set up manually in order to get it to work ? 

4. I have a powerline adapter connecting my PC to Sky's hub. Would this need to be connected to Deco's main unit instead ?

Sorry to be such a pain but I need to know for definite if this is going to work before spending £130 😁

I would really appreciate you help on this

Many thanks

Options
2020-04-14 11:53:26

Kevin_Z wrote

@K18ldp 

I think that Iconic still use the sky router as router mode, but with wifi function disabled; to bypass the filter rules existed on the sky router, he enabled DMZ for Deco.

For your case, you can setup sky router as bridge mode to synchronize with the fibre connection first and configure Deco as regular wireless router, in this way, theoretically, the Deco will obtain a public internet IP address; and you can access the local device remotely with it. 

Best regards. 

Hi @Kevin_Z ,

It seems like what you're suggesting may work best for me. 

My current set up is Sky Fibre with ER115 modem/router .

I also have Deco M4 3pack coming in couple days time . 

Would you be able to explain to me how I out sky router in bridge mode and use Deco as router ? 

I would really want to be able to use all its features including parental control etc. 

But at the same time I would not want to run into double NAT issues . 

Many Thanks ,

Artur 

Options
2020-05-15 12:21:20

@Kevin_Z 

How do I DMZ ? Do I need to DMZ it sky side or deco M4 side. Don't really understand all this. Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 8105

Replies: 8

Related Articles