FTTH with M5 & MC220L & PPPoE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-15 19:13:33
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 20190617 Rel. 47476

Hello:

I recently upgraded to Gigabit FTTH at home and I have a NAS that requires some ports to be opened in order to access services from outside the LAN, but the provider modem has garbage firmware that seemingly resets my port forwarding settings nightly (also tried putting the Deco into a DMZ but that didn't keep either).

After much reading I purchased an MC220L to convert the optical signal from my provider to copper that I can insert into my main M5. This allows me to remove the providers modem all together and let the Deco do all the work. So, I set my PPPoE credentials on the main M5 to negotiate the link with my provider. Which does work, however it is producing slightly slower speeds than what I was getting with the modem.

Best result with the modem: 815 down / 722 up

Since switching to the MC220L: 620 down / 400 up

I'm ready to live with the slower speeds in lieu of not having my port forwarding settings reset every night but was wondering if anyone has experienced any issues letting the Deco negotiate the connection with their providers?  I noticed that I cannot change "advanced" values for the PPPoE connection like MTU size, jumbo frames etc. I'm wondering if there's a chance some of those settings would make a difference?

I'm going to try letting my computer negotiate the connection directly out of the media converter to see if it works any better and will report back.

Thanks,

Styan

Options
6 Reply
Re:FTTH with M5 & MC220L & PPPoE
2019-08-16 09:15:18

@Styan 

What is the current network diagram? How do you connect these devices together? 

With computer connected to the MC220L directly, bypass the Deco M5, what is the speed you can get from it? Is it the same as the modem or it is slower?

Is it possible to make the provider modem as bridge mode and use the Deco M5 as the main router and DHCP server? 

For the advanced values for PPPoE, there is no option to customize them; while we have noted that and will keep an eye on this feedback.

Besides, you can give it a go by connect the computer to the media converter directly.

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:FTTH with M5 & MC220L & PPPoE
2019-08-18 23:28:43

Thanks for the reply. I'm working on a finding a way to test this direct into the MC220L. I'll provide results as soon as I can.

Regards,

Styan

Options
Re:Re:Re:FTTH with M5 & MC220L & PPPoE
2019-08-20 08:03:27

@Styan 

Hi Styan, thanks for your reply.

Please take your time to test and feel free to let us know.

Best regards. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:FTTH with M5 & MC220L & PPPoE
2019-08-25 02:32:59

Hi!

I finally had a chance to configure a pfsense box to do some testing! I have some rather definitive results.

Original slower speed topology map: https://www.dropbox.com/s/emb3cicm1rfonhl/2019-08-24_Deco.pdf?dl=0

Faster speeds topology map:

Fibre--->MC220L--->pfSense Box--->(PPPoE WAN NIC),(LAN NIC)---->To the first unmanaged switch in the diagram above. Remove power from all Deco units.

pfSense is using default values for many things.

Speed test results:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5d3xmcdoot0s2yz/2019-08-24%20223059.png?dl=0

Is it that the Deco just can't keep up?  The pfSense computer is an i5 760, with 8gb of RAM (2010 vintage).

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Styan

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:FTTH with M5 & MC220L & PPPoE
2019-08-25 13:52:57

I should add all the speed tests are being run on one of the wired PC's.

Options
Re:FTTH with M5 & MC220L & PPPoE
2019-08-29 02:38:30

Hi there:

I've just switched my M5 system to AP mode in lieu of Router mode. I cant take full advantage of the gigabit service I'm paying for when using the M5 as my main router.

I don't really know where the bottleneck is but my wired devices are all seeing gigabit speeds now. Not sure if the M5 has issues with gigabit speeds in general, or if the PPPoE settings made a difference, but my pfSense router is performing much better than the M5 was.

Thanks again,

Styan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1825

Replies: 6

Related Articles