How avoid buffering despite good broadband speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-17 09:11:53
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.8 Build 20190403 Rel. 43515

Hi, I live in the UK using Sky (ISP) broadband which give 50 mb/s. When I use broadband checkers I’m getting 30-40 mb/s, which I think is good. I have bought 4 M9 units, with two downstairs and 2 upstairs but I’m constantly getting using issues with buffering on my devices, particularly upstairs (where I’m getting 30-40 mb/s). I have the Deco plugged into the Sky (ISP) router downstairs. Any advice would be much appreciated as I’m questioning the value of buying the Deco system with the constant buffering issues. Thanks. 

Options
9 Reply
Re:How avoid buffering despite good broadband speed
2019-08-19 03:24:40

@PhilWin 

Thanks for your reply, we will do some troubleshooting first and try to fix it. 

1. What is the current diagram, how do you connect these devices together?

2. The actual speed you get from the Deco upstaris seems normal, may I know which device has the buffering issue?

3. Try to add this specific device into QoS high priority list and customize the QoS settings; 

4. Besides, try to swap the locations of the Deco units and rule out whether it is the device itself or the interference of the actual environment. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:How avoid buffering despite good broadband speed
2019-08-19 19:47:39

Thanks very much for responding.

In answer to your questions: 

1. Sorry I didn't understand this question, could you explain a little more. 

2. There are numerous devices experiencing the buffering i.e. an iPhone, Dell work PC and Amazon Fire tablet.

3. I had added the iPhone and Dell work pc as the only two high priority devices, it appears to have little difference

4. I will try this

Thanks  

Options
Re:Re:Re:How avoid buffering despite good broadband speed
2019-08-20 10:22:08

By diagram, I believe he's asking for your networking environment topology.

How do you connect each of your Deco's ?

Are they connected through ethernet cable or wirelessly ? 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:How avoid buffering despite good broadband speed
2019-08-20 10:25:33

Hi

I have one Deco connected via ethernet cable to the Sky (ISP) router. The other 3 are connected wirelessly. 

thx

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:How avoid buffering despite good broadband speed
2019-08-21 05:54:27

@PhilWin 

Thanks for your reply, sorry for the misunderstanding, and yes it indicates the network diagram.

It is like ISP router--main Deco(upstairs) )))((( 3 other slave Decos ( one upstairs, 2 downstairs), right?

What is the operation mode of the main Deco? Is it access point mode or regular wireless router mode? If the ISP router works well, you can change the Deco units to AP mode and verify whether the buffering issue remains. 

When does the buffering issue occur? Like streaming or playing games? You can add the specific appliacation to QoS. 

Besides, you can swap the locations of the Deco units; if possible, you can connect the slave Deco upstairs to the main Deco by wired cable to give it a shot. 

Any updates, please let us know. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:How avoid buffering despite good broadband speed
2019-08-21 07:01:33

Hi

It is ISP router - - main Deco (downstairs) ))) (((3 slave Deco’s (1 downstairs, 2 upstairs).

Can you please explain how I check, and then potentially change, the access point mode of each Deco please. 

The buffering issue occurs when downloading emails at the start of a day, playing videos, etc. Nothing specific. 

Thanks

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:How avoid buffering despite good broadband speed
2019-08-21 09:19:33

@PhilWin 

How to verify the operation mode: open Deco app, go to more-advanced-operation mode page. 

And you do not have  to change the operation mode of each Deco, it is related to the main one; If it is wireless router mode, you can change it to access point mode and it will reboot to apply the settings and that is it.

Note: Please ensure that you can access internet from the ISP router directly before you change Deco to access point mode. 

For the buffering issue, is that possible for you to shot a short video and send to us?

Besides, how to swap the locations of the Deco: you can click here to get the instruction to setup slave Deco as main one. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:How avoid buffering despite good broadband speed
2019-08-21 20:09:00

Hi

I’ve now changed to use the access point mode, which is good as this is the correct setting, although this doesn’t seem to have made a difference to the buffering. 

I also checked which Deco was set up as the main one, and the one which is connected to the router via ethernet cable was set up as the main one, so no change. 

I’ve found with the buffering issue that it tends to be worst when devices first start using sites like You Tube, then over time the issue gets better. It’s the same with my work pc it takes approx 3-4 mins to download a few emails. After that it’s ok. 

Also, I see there’s a feature called Fast Roaming in Advanced settings is it worth using this? 

Thanks

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:How avoid buffering despite good broadband speed
2019-08-23 02:04:31

@PhilWin 

Thanks for your reply.

Try to simplify the network topology, in other word, please connect the main Deco to the router ONLY, and then verify whether you still have the same issue.

Could you please provide more information about buffering, any specific symptoms?

When it buffered when you access some site, try to ping it, like youtube and show us the results. 

Meanwhile, with your device connected to the main router, bypass the Deco, does it work properly?

Try to change the DNS server of the Deco and give it a go. 

For the fast roaming feature, you can disable it and then verify the performance. 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2956

Replies: 9